Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28

Author Topic: \Legends/ - Simple Freeform Wild West RPG - Back to the Action  (Read 52306 times)

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: \Legends/ - Simple Freeform Wild West RPG - How to Poker
« Reply #270 on: August 25, 2014, 01:08:36 pm »

Well, whatever. I rarely won at poker back in the army too. I'll watch this a while longer. Then it's back to trying to find a job.

Have another glass of whiskey. Watch the tournament play out.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 25, 2014, 06:26:55 pm »

Keld continues enjoying himself and looks around in the saloon to share the bottle of whiskey he recently received with anyone willing to tell him about the important people and groups in and around town, especially in the Homestead lands. Remembering the man who was shot earlier and the general chaos, he also looks around to see if New Jamestown has a coffinmaker or a cemetary, because with the rate of corpse production since he got here it seems to need them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 03:07:17 am by Beneviento »
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 25, 2014, 08:01:08 pm »

Get Outta Dodge, Quick!!!
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 26, 2014, 08:24:10 pm »

Bump for a few more people.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 27, 2014, 02:07:32 am »

>Buy myself a glass of whiskey and take a seat, preferably somewhere I can watch the poker game from.
Strike up a conversation with whoever I'm sitting near, so long as they aren't a lawman or something. Ask what business opportunities might be going in town, and where a fellow might stay for cheap.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 28, 2014, 01:28:28 am »

Blood Opal smirks, checks to see if her shotgun is loaded, and follows Greg Whiskey. If Mammoth also follows, and the chase leads somewhere with few witnesses, or if he says something that can be interpreted as a threat against Greg's life, Blood Opal will pull her gun on the big guy.

Not the ideal outcome, but not a terrible one either. The loser, whom she had taken interest in, was running. If the big guy decides to chase, this might be the perfect opportunity to not only place the drunk in her debt, but also to shoot somebody under the dodgy sort of defense circumstances under which it is hard to prove a crime.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 28, 2014, 05:57:10 am »

Jim hears Mammoth tell his story, and turns towards Greg, only to find him already running. He smiles.

"You fellas gotta learn that I can never resist a good chase."

The lawman heads off running towards Greg, trying to catch him before he can slip away.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 28, 2014, 06:13:50 pm »

PTW
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 30, 2014, 10:14:12 am »

BUMP for great poker justice.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 30, 2014, 05:25:43 pm »

Is this still going? If so,

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 09:13:19 pm by SaberToothTiger »
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

blazing glory

« Reply #280 on: August 30, 2014, 07:46:49 pm »

You can't have 3 perks,even if you have 2 detriments.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 30, 2014, 08:30:35 pm »

You can't have 3 perks,even if you have 2 detriments.

This is true, in the favor of balancing.

I've been busy so I must apologize, I promise a turn in the next few hours.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 30, 2014, 09:13:06 pm »

Alright, changed my sheet accordingly.
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 30, 2014, 11:58:58 pm »

I'm too tired to write a coherent update. In the morning then...

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: \Legends/ - Simple Freeform Wild West RPG - Who Dun It?
« Reply #284 on: August 31, 2014, 06:22:41 pm »

Thank you very much for the information, sir, now, is there anything interesting going on around town? Apart from the lasso incident, I mean.
ask, then go to the last thing he talks about.

Joe Baxter asks about ongoing events in the town. "Well, there's a Poker Tournament going on right now in the Saloon, though I doubt you could get in, it's already done part-ways. The Saloon always has some good drinks, and now the Brothel is open if you're into that sort of business. I hear that the Church is having a sale on guns as well."

With the idea of a Church that sold guns, Joe was prompted to head over just out of pure curiosity. At first he thought the man had been facetious, but right in front of the settlement's stone Church was indeed a Gun Stand, with all sorts of firearms on display. The gunrunner at the front looks up, "If you're interested, I'll be right with you!"

Jim walks back outside, not exactly interested in the poker tournament after his loss, and notices how the fight has turned ugly, casually drawing his gun.

"Fight's over boys, although I doubt you need me to tell you that. You two sort out whatever deal you made before this, but try not to maim each other any more?"

Get Outta Dodge, Quick!!!
Blood Opal smirks, checks to see if her shotgun is loaded, and follows Greg Whiskey. If Mammoth also follows, and the chase leads somewhere with few witnesses, or if he says something that can be interpreted as a threat against Greg's life, Blood Opal will pull her gun on the big guy.

Not the ideal outcome, but not a terrible one either. The loser, whom she had taken interest in, was running. If the big guy decides to chase, this might be the perfect opportunity to not only place the drunk in her debt, but also to shoot somebody under the dodgy sort of defense circumstances under which it is hard to prove a crime.
Jim hears Mammoth tell his story, and turns towards Greg, only to find him already running. He smiles.

"You fellas gotta learn that I can never resist a good chase."

The lawman heads off running towards Greg, trying to catch him before he can slip away.

Jim Henson exits the Saloon after his Poker Tournament loss, where he finds Mammoth kicking the life out of the incapacitated Greg Whiskey. Jim draws his gun, "Fight's over boys, although I doubt you need me to tell you that. You two sort out whatever deal you made before this, but try not to maim each other any more?" Mammoth ends the beating, "Alright, I'll stop fightin' once he starts payin'. Where's my money?" Meanwhile, the seductive, enigmatic Blood Opal slinks into the background of the altercation, watching with interest, double-checking to make sure her Shotgun barrels are full.
Greg Whiskey staggers to his feet, his skin covered in bruised as a result of the fighting. Rather than hand any money over, Greg spins around and legs it. [1-1] What could have started a four-way chase all over town, eventually ending up in the desert, then a standoff between the armed participants with Mammoth stealing Jim's gun out of his hands, shooting Blood Opal in the stomach whereupon she fires back instantly only to inadvertently blast off Jim's face with buckshot, and Mammoth opening fire on Greg with his new revolver, blasting the rocks around him, as the drunk rolls into cover, snatching the Shotgun from the fatally wounded Opal as she bleeds out onto the desert as sand, the two unwounded men exchanging fire until Mammoth hits Greg in the chest, and the bigger man approaches thinking he's got the upper hand and walking forward with the intent to execute Greg with a headshot, only for it to be revealed that Greg has lit one of Opal's dynamite charges which promptly ends up obliterating everyone in a kinetic blast, leaving the confused authorities to investigate the scene of some bizarre conflict the next morning...
Instead of something of that caliber happening, Greg trips and falls on his face, too beaten to run, leaving everyone in the same position as they had started in, Jim with his gun drawn trying to placate the situation, Greg on the ground, Mammoth demanding money, Blood Opal silently watching, and the chance of a brutal four-way-standoff-in-the-desert-concluding-with-an-explosion occurring severely diminished. [7] The drunk lays on the ground in an anti-climatic fashion.

The Shadow is quiet for a few moments before speaking.
"Ya won't laugh if I tell ya'?"

"I promise." The Older Woman looks at the Shadow Earnestly.

"Right. I won't tell nobody. Thanks."

Go to the saloon and see how much it would cost for three bottles of good whiskey. Find a place to sleep for the night, maybe at an inn. I'll buy the whiskey and hopefully some provisions in the morning before I set out.

Michael Shawn promises to keep the secret under wraps and heads into the Saloon, asking the Bartender about the price of good Whiskey. "Well, I can sell you decent stuff for about $6 a bottle, but for the really fancy stuff I'll charge you $10. Think about it, you must want to be impressing someone important or going out of town to some high-class party, ain't ya'?" Shawn spends a good deal of money on the booze before looking for a place to spend the night. The town lacks an Inn, which would really be a worthwhile investment in this type of town, where people are constantly moving through. A Miner does offer him a night in his tent for two dollars.

Investigate. Determine which way the natives may have gone, and go in said direction.

Sister Marjorie Swift investigates the tall grass for any sign of Hontato movement and origin. [5] She finds some marking in the dirt that belong to either a person or large animal, but no permanent evidence yet. [6] After another twenty or so minutes of searching, she finds a dyed, cut feather on the ground, allowing her to deduce that the Hontato cut either East or North from her current position. If she wishes to pursue them, she must make a choice, and both options have an equal chance of getting her closer to the tribe.

Satisfied with the outcome I smile wide.

Then an idea strikes me... Let's get some rounds of whiskey for others that got into the finals as a 'celebration'. They should play worse while I will cheat on my drinks (and not drink them at all).

"Amigos! We should celebrate our luck! The odds are certainly with us tonight! Free whiskey for all those that got into the finals bartender, on my tab!"

Carry out the plan. Play neutrally.
Well, whatever. I rarely won at poker back in the army too. I'll watch this a while longer. Then it's back to trying to find a job.

Have another glass of whiskey. Watch the tournament play out.
Carter tries to console the losers.

"Shame you couldn't make it to the final eight, but you have an even greater chance to make some money now on bets. If you can pick out a winner for the final round, you can more than make back your entrance fee. And if your pick is an underdog, you'll make even more. There's so much money to be made here, you'd have to be crazy not to bet."

Carter tries to take bets on the outcome of  final round.

John Ashwood retires to the bar, admitting he's never been a decent poker player. [10] A glass of Whiskey later and he forgets about the whole poker loss. In fact, he's feeling a lot better, like there's fire running through his blood.
[Liquid Courage - Bonus to Strength, Toughness and Charisma.]

Josse enters the final round with 9 competitors, while Carter Duffield reassures those that had lost. "Shame you couldn't make it to the final eight, but you have an even greater chance to make some money now on bets. If you can pick out a winner for the final round, you can more than make back your entrance fee. And if your pick is an underdog, you'll make even more. There's so much money to be made here, you'd have to be crazy not to bet." [5+1] He nets an additional $32 dollars out of the offer, but most of the losers are so distraught and frustrated with losing that they refuse to give him more.
Josse gets the eight other players a glass of Whiskey, paying out of his own pocket. [8] Most of them drink it down quickly, thanking him for the gesture, despite it all being part of Josse's plan.

Spoiler: Final Round! (click to show/hide)

The winner, Gale Hawthorne, raises his fists in victory, cheered on by everyone who hadn't participated in the tournament.

The rankings are:

Gale Hawthorne - 1st Place
Hector Wales - 2nd Place
Jossé Rojillovarón - 3rd Place
Angelo Regales - 4th Place

The players who bet on the finale round also look to be compensated.

"I am sorry. This wound may be beyond my medical knowledge and limited equipment. However, there is a chance that I can help him, but a small slip might mean he could get even worse."
With her permission, try to fix it, using whatever I have at hand.

Doctor Drew Whiteford speaks to the wounded man's wife, "I am sorry. This wound may be beyond my medical knowledge and limited equipment. However, there is a chance that I can help him, but a small slip might mean he could get even worse." She scowls at the last part and shoves the doctor away from his patient. "Do not hurt him more! Go!" Whiteford is forced out of the dwelling by the woman. Whiteford's Hontato guide gives him a skeptical look.

Keld continues enjoying himself and looks around in the saloon to share the bottle of whiskey he recently received with anyone willing to tell him about the important people and groups in and around town, especially in the Homestead lands. Remembering the man who was shot earlier and the general chaos, he also looks around to see if New Jamestown has a coffinmaker or a cemetary, because with the rate of corpse production since he got here it seems to need them.

Keld Cenek heads over to the watering hole to share his Bottle of Whiskey. One of the men dillusioned with his Poker loss, takes up Keld's offer. Over the drinks, he is told of Mayor Wilford Huxley, he was elected to be the first mayor of New Jamestown, Sheriff Biggs who proceeds over the town, and Father Gregory who runs the local Church. The town is full of all sorts of people, mainly laborers, and most of them are not here to stay. The Homesteads are new territory, with some farms set up and even a mining business titled WesternLink Inc. Still, there are many settled Hontato in the region, hostile to newcomers, and a familial criminal gang named the Hawkson Boys who have been terrorizing the region for decades even before the settlement of New Jamestown. According to the speaker, they are as ruthless as they are reportedly inbred.

Keld later goes around town, wondering where all these bodies in New Jamestown go, as they aren't piling up in the street. As it turns out, the Church not only has a Gun Stand, but a Cemetery located a ways behind the structure, a host of tombstones and monuments, some composed of stone, but others just plain wood or a crucifix.

As Keld scans the graveyard, he senses someone coming from behind. He turns around to see Tuypo coming, pale-faced and weary, clutching the breast-pocket of his suit like he's going to pull something out. Not sure of what's happening, the lawman puts a hand on his gun. Tuypo stops a few feet from Keld, wheezing, and attempts to say something only for his speech to be covered up with the sound of gushing blood that streams from his mouth, down his chin. He stumbles backwards and falls on his anterior, his hand limply falling from his chest, his eyes fluttering closed. Keld rushes over to see what he was covering up; two deep puncture wounds into the Brothel Owner's left breast that look very deliberately placed. The wounds do not look like they came from a firearm, but rather a knife, and no normal knife at that. They reach far in, piercing the muscle and lung. It would have to be something along the lines of a machete or sword.

Keld looks up. The town is quiet and unmoving, for now.

Tuypo has been run through twice by a mysterious assassin.
-----
Jimmy "Animalcrushrailroad" Johnson waltzes into town, swinging his Sledgehammer casually on the everlasting quest of strongness and crushing. There is little movement in the sleepy night, until Jimmy comes across a Seugden Soldier performing an examination on a flamboyantly dressed fellow, an unusual sight even by the standards of the Wild West. The examinee is dead, so he certainly isn't in need of any more crushing.

Spoiler: Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Reserve (click to show/hide)

In case anyone was not yet aware, player Tuypo was banned from the Forums for indecent behavior. Instead of saying his character inexplicably disappeared, I thought it would be much cooler to utilize this unfortunate event as a way to start a Murder-Mystery Arc. Seeing as word spreads fast in New Jamestown, I imagine that several Player-Characters could end up wrapped in the midst of the lethal charades...
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 28