Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28

Author Topic: \Legends/ - Simple Freeform Wild West RPG - Back to the Action  (Read 52292 times)

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: \Legends/ - Simple Freeform Wild West RPG - Bondage Battle
« Reply #210 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:01 pm »

((Bets are the next BIG THING? :D What IS the entry fee?))

"Well you drive a hard bargain viejo... Fine we will pay you your price."

I take out $82.50.

"Will you hitch in the missing amount Padre?"

I pay the man for the ownership deed.

As we go far from the mans ears I speak with Father Gregor.

"I will go and look around for a translator Padre. Could you ready a hunting rifle or two for me? I'm willing to gift them to the Hontato chief to soften him up a little. Also what do you think about starting a mission on their land? We could start regular trade with them this way and gain even more money! We could also use a small percentage of our profit for charity so the people trust us and depend on our generosity even more."

After that is look around town for gossip about recent happenings, if there might be some Hontato speakers and if the law might be on my trail. If I hear about the poker contest I sign up to be a player, as it is going to be night soon anyway.

((BTW is opium illegal at these times? Or is it more like it's socially frowned upon?))

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2014, 12:22:20 pm »

Now I just need to wait. And what better place to do that than a saloon, accompanied by a glass of whiskey.

Time to chill in the saloon with some whiskey.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2014, 12:22:53 pm »

Check where he got hit, see if it a broken bone or an infection, or something else. Do what I need to do to heal him.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2014, 01:18:59 pm »

((BTW is opium illegal at these times? Or is it more like it's socially frowned upon?))

The usage of opium is illegal. Manufacturing, selling it, or possession of it, is not.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2014, 01:20:58 pm »

sounds like someone needs to manufacture and store so much opium that anyone coming to investigate unintentionally revives a dose of it from the air particles. and is forced to arrest themselves/be arrested.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Beneviento

• Bay Watcher
  • Rocks and Blocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2014, 01:31:59 pm »

Keld helps Tuypo up and gives him a friendly bow.
No hard feelings friend. I was in the mountain truppe back home, being fast at tying knots was my job. It is not the way I do enjoy my pleasures, but if you are set on... man doing man then you should be fine if you keep it behind closed doors.

He then tries to get the crowd celebrating instead of rioting, and tries to find recruits, supplies and any other benefits he can get out of being hailed a hero. Finally he reports back to Father Gregor on his success and sees if he can get some free rifles and revolvers.
The man doing man shall trouble you no more Father and a little more green paper will be coming into our pockets. The brothel still stands but this is a good thing for all of us. Now about the weapons we talked about earlier...
And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the Assaulted Lanterns Magma Artillery' - King Id I of the Assaulted Lanterns

akkudakku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 12, 2014, 02:26:36 pm »

sounds like someone needs to manufacture and store so much opium that anyone coming to investigate unintentionally revives a dose of it from the air particles. and is forced to arrest themselves/be arrested.

((Challenge accepted.))

The usage of opium is illegal. Manufacturing, selling it, or possession of it, is not.

((Why the hell am I stealthy then??? :D Still Josse is a specific guy that doesn't want to be incriminated anyway.

What would be the view on morphine usage then? Are we after year 1857?

Gotta take the doc back from the Hontato village with me and start a 'medicine production' operation with him.))
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:32:54 pm by akkudakku »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 12, 2014, 03:05:38 pm »

((Bets are the next BIG THING? :D What IS the entry fee?))
I wasn't quite sure what to put it at, since I didn't want to leave too much money on the table, but I also didn't want to make it so high that no one would want to enter. I guess I'll put it at $20 a person, since most people with money should be able to afford that, and any players who want to participate but can't can just borrow the money from me.

I'll have a prize for the tournament just be divided by the top placers such that 1st gets half the entry fee pot, 2nd gets a fourth of the pot, 3rd gets an eighth of the pot, and I take the remaining eighth. That way I should be able to cover any discounted entrants and still make a little bit of money from the tournament even if all the entrants are my debtors. The majority of my money tonight should come from bets, and, though I'm not quite sure how you calculate the odds for that, I think I should be able to pay off my debts and make a good deal of money from this event unless a total underdog wins (and maybe even still then; I'm not quite sure how betting works).

And, TCM, you can go ahead and abstract this and/or change this as you want to make things easier. My basic intent is just to have enough of a prize to make the even worth participating in, and to make enough money from skimming off the prize and holding bets to pay off my debts and any discounts I offered, and then try to make a bit of money for myself after that.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 12, 2014, 06:17:07 pm »

What would be the view on morphine usage then? Are we after year 1857?

Doctors can have all the morphine they want. The game currently takes place somewhere in the 1860's-70's. There's no specific year because time is flexible and wonky in this sort of game.

This would be a good time to note that while this game operates on a Solar-Day system, (Dawn, Day, Dusk, Night) there are no set "days". Depending on the actions of the players a full cycle may take up a couple days, or perhaps even a few weeks or months. This is to make everything simpler and smoother, so just remember that there is no set standard for time passage in-game. The Solar-Day system is purely to change the state of light and environmental conditions.

If this game lasts long enough, eventually developments will appear like trains, telephones, and widespread domestic electricity. Perhaps there will even be a world war or two.

I wasn't quite sure what to put it at, since I didn't want to leave too much money on the table, but I also didn't want to make it so high that no one would want to enter. I guess I'll put it at $20 a person, since most people with money should be able to afford that, and any players who want to participate but can't can just borrow the money from me.

I'll have a prize for the tournament just be divided by the top placers such that 1st gets half the entry fee pot, 2nd gets a fourth of the pot, 3rd gets an eighth of the pot, and I take the remaining eighth. That way I should be able to cover any discounted entrants and still make a little bit of money from the tournament even if all the entrants are my debtors. The majority of my money tonight should come from bets, and, though I'm not quite sure how you calculate the odds for that, I think I should be able to pay off my debts and make a good deal of money from this event unless a total underdog wins (and maybe even still then; I'm not quite sure how betting works).

And, TCM, you can go ahead and abstract this and/or change this as you want to make things easier. My basic intent is just to have enough of a prize to make the even worth participating in, and to make enough money from skimming off the prize and holding bets to pay off my debts and any discounts I offered, and then try to make a bit of money for myself after that.

I'd like to point out that $20 is roughly the average salary of a month's work in New Jamestown, just so you can adjust prices accordingly to get the most participants.

I will have the NPCs bet en masse, no need to keep track of individual ones except winners, who I'll figure out after the tournament is complete. If you wouldn't mind, I was thinking each Turn could be a Round of the tournament. It's up to you to decide how you want to form it: 8-players at a time, 6 players, 4, etc. You can also decide how many individuals game you want going on at once.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:20:10 pm by TCM »
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 12, 2014, 10:48:43 pm »

Ah, well, I don't want to make it too high stakes, but it shouldn't be chump change either. I'll put it at $10.

As for the actual tournament structure, I'd like eight-player tables if I can manage it, but I want at least a game of qualification before moving onto the main event, so that would require eight tables of eight to begin with. If I think I can get at least 64 people to sign up, I'll drop the entrance fee to $5.

I'm inclined to thing 6-player tables are more likely and manageable. I don't want to go down to 4-player tables unless I really have to. And if you have an idea about how to make more than a qualifier round and main event without needing boatloads of competitors, I'm all for it, since I think that gives me more opportunities to take bets (unless the bets are placed on individual players). But, yeah, maybe for simplicity's sake we'll just go for the qualifier and the main event, and have betting be for just the outcome of the latter.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2014, 12:18:00 am »

Ah, well, I don't want to make it too high stakes, but it shouldn't be chump change either. I'll put it at $10.

As for the actual tournament structure, I'd like eight-player tables if I can manage it, but I want at least a game of qualification before moving onto the main event, so that would require eight tables of eight to begin with. If I think I can get at least 64 people to sign up, I'll drop the entrance fee to $5.

I'm inclined to thing 6-player tables are more likely and manageable. I don't want to go down to 4-player tables unless I really have to. And if you have an idea about how to make more than a qualifier round and main event without needing boatloads of competitors, I'm all for it, since I think that gives me more opportunities to take bets (unless the bets are placed on individual players). But, yeah, maybe for simplicity's sake we'll just go for the qualifier and the main event, and have betting be for just the outcome of the latter.

Alright, let's break down the New Jamestown demographics to start with. The permanent population of the town if 80, but as of recent, many visitors have come to and through the township. The majority of the citizens and travelers are male, so let's say at this point you've got about 70 men in town. With all the criteria listed (some people are less likely to play than others) , and considering the money factor (which would exclude the poorest people), I'd say you're looking at somewhere between 25-50 players.

Bets on players will be tracked. Games will be determined by a multiple rolls. Before each game, I was thinking each player could decide whether they wanted to spend "Conservative", "Normal" or "High Roller", like in dueling. Conservative is less likely to lose a lot of money, but also less likely to win, with High Roller being the exact opposite. As usual, Normal stays neutral.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 13, 2014, 12:35:26 am »

Blood Opal wanders off to the Saloon, mood a bit sullen. It was unlikely now that she could have her riot without drawing more attention than she was ready to deal with. The murderous bandit was far from the subtle type, but for now the law still outnumbered her.

Still, there was a bright spot. Some people were fired up. She could use those people.

Go to the Saloon. Have one drink. See if any of the angry mob shows up for a drink. If there is a window, sit near it so I can see if an actual riot does defy expectations and break out.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 13, 2014, 03:05:51 am »

"Of course. My purse is open to those who need it."

Pay the remaining fee. Give Josse a hunting rifle (or the next best gun I have).

"I am sure there is one who speaks Hontato in this town. She's a nun and a missionary. I'll try to get her to help us."

Look for Sister Marjorie and offer her a job as a translator.

I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 13, 2014, 02:02:31 pm »

Alright, let's break down the New Jamestown demographics to start with. The permanent population of the town if 80, but as of recent, many visitors have come to and through the township. The majority of the citizens and travelers are male, so let's say at this point you've got about 70 men in town. With all the criteria listed (some people are less likely to play than others) , and considering the money factor (which would exclude the poorest people), I'd say you're looking at somewhere between 25-50 players.

Bets on players will be tracked. Games will be determined by a multiple rolls. Before each game, I was thinking each player could decide whether they wanted to spend "Conservative", "Normal" or "High Roller", like in dueling. Conservative is less likely to lose a lot of money, but also less likely to win, with High Roller being the exact opposite. As usual, Normal stays neutral.
Ah, for some reason I hadn't considered the very likely possibility that the number of contestants might be something other than the square of the number of players at a table. I suppose we might need a couple of in-between matches where we take the top couple of players from each match so that we get a full table, and we eliminate the bottommost performers until we get our final eight (or six. Or maybe the qualifiers can be in tables of six and the final game is an eight-person table).

It's a bit confusing and I promise I won't try to hold another tournament before I figure out how to divide up an indeterminate number of players or I'll do something simpler like two-person match-ups. Also, I wanna say I love that idea of repurposing the dueling rules for gambling.
Glory to Arstotzka!

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2014, 02:05:29 pm »

Sorry for the wait guys, was out for a couple days. Turn coming to a forum near you.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 28