Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Scared yaks hinder elves from leaving  (Read 574 times)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Scared yaks hinder elves from leaving
« on: July 31, 2014, 01:46:04 pm »

I know this topic has been discussed a lot, but somehow I can't find any threads related to it.
I started a fort in the late summer, so when the elf merchants arrived, there was only a makeshift trade depot outside of the fortress. The elven merchants started to trade when a werebeast showed up. The Werebeast scared everyone of (including the elve's yaks, but not the merchants). The werebeast bit one of my yak bulls until full moon was over and the beast turned back into a goblin (the yak survived, the only fatality was a migrant who supposedly dropped into a river and drowned).
After this incident, the elves proceeded to trade with me, but now it is late spring and they still haven't left. On further inspection, I found out that the merchant's yaks were not at the depot but somewhere else.
So how do I get rid of those elves without making their civilisation angry? I want to deconstruct the depot (in favour of a more secure depot inside), but those stupid merchants stand on the wooden(!) depot and do not go after their yaks.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scared yaks hinder elves from leaving
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 02:26:32 pm »

Just decon it.  I have faced this numerous times and there doesn't seem to be any other option.  You won't cause an elven uproar with doing this once.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 06:36:59 pm »

Thank you for this wonderful advice. One Elf left. The other one went berserk eventually. The yak also went beserk. This could lead to fun.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:13:13 am »

All went well. In the autumn, a minor goblin siege arrived. The killed some of my grazers, dogs and the berserk yak before they found the elf, who was climbing on a cliff above a river. After killing the merchant, they panicked. Apparently the mangled body scared them off. So the scare mechanics have their good sides, too.
I imagine the goblins had an "Oh Armok, what have I done?"-moment.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:18:45 am by Grahar »