Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damn Crundles.  (Read 949 times)

Bob Dylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damn Crundles.
« on: July 31, 2014, 11:31:14 am »

I've read up that only a certain amount of creatures can spawn on my site at any given time, and with that said, I've come to the conclusion that the 20+ crundles lurking below the surface, unreachable by my dwarves, are hogging up this precious space. I really want sieges and ambushes etc for !!FUN!! and it just isn't happening. Is there any way to increase this limit? Is there any way to get the crundles? (They're under water, and when my dwarves get close on land, they just run away) Id really love a solution!

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Re: Damn Crundles.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 11:50:05 am »

Pouring magma on them should do the trick.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Bob Dylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:52:13 am »

Well but of course! However, magma is below them, pipes lag the game, and my dwarves are to incompetent to swim. Thanks for the advice though.
Perhaps someone is willing to offer a more viable solution?

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:55:41 am »

Magma solves everything.

can you drain out the water into a man dwarf made cistern?
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Bob Dylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:58:47 am »

Unfortunately, also no. The cavern layer is very shallow, and the magma pools don't encompass even 20% of the bottom layer. The majority of the caverns are flooded almost completely. The only way I could drain the liquid would be with pipes, I'm assuming with this set up. And that would cause lots of lag, and result in REAL-LIFE !!FUN!! Thanks for the suggestion though! Keep em coming!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 12:12:21 pm »

I didn't think the cavern creatures would have any effect on the arrival of surface creatures.  Usually I have one group of cavern animals, and one group of surface animals, at any given time.  (Plus possibly some magma crabs... not sure if those are a special case or what.)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bob Dylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:28:36 pm »

I didn't think the cavern creatures would have any effect on the arrival of surface creatures.  Usually I have one group of cavern animals, and one group of surface animals, at any given time.  (Plus possibly some magma crabs... not sure if those are a special case or what.)

Well then, I suppose it could be surface creatures. However, whilst the crundles rest at around 20+ in numbers, there are only about 7 surface creatures, 5/7 of those are fish. Maybe I could test it. How can I remove these fish? By Fishing one may think?

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 01:10:53 pm »

Is there maybe a way you could drain enraged sponges (or any other very angry aquatic creature) into the cavern and have them engage the crundles?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 01:21:34 pm »

My suspect is your surface critters.  You normally have 7-10 of them at a time.  Yes the fish are occupying some of these slots.  Fishing however is not dependant on or related to these aquatic critters, you ougt to be able to hit them with marksdwarves from the banks.  The corpses can in theory be butchered if you can get to them, but just killing them with prompt new arrivals.

Seiges may be right out of the window at the moment, still not seen one in _05.

Im also inclined to agree with the above thought that cavern and surface pops are independant.  They both work much the same, more wont spawn till the last vanishes in some way but are not connected to each other.
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Bob Dylan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 01:58:47 pm »

My suspect is your surface critters.  You normally have 7-10 of them at a time.  Yes the fish are occupying some of these slots.  Fishing however is not dependant on or related to these aquatic critters, you ougt to be able to hit them with marksdwarves from the banks.  The corpses can in theory be butchered if you can get to them, but just killing them with prompt new arrivals.

Seiges may be right out of the window at the moment, still not seen one in _05.

Im also inclined to agree with the above thought that cavern and surface pops are independant.  They both work much the same, more wont spawn till the last vanishes in some way but are not connected to each other.

Awesome, thanks! ill start killing the pesky fish and await my child kidnappers now! !!FUN!!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 02:07:17 pm »

Does capturing and training creatures also help clear them? Considering training moves them from the Other tab to the Pets tab, I'd assume so.

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 09:43:30 pm »

Capturing them should be enough to encourage new creatures to move in, up until you hit whatever the creature cap is (it's like 50 or more, not sure off the top of my head the exact number)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:55:30 am »

Pipes lag the game

If built right, a magma pumpstack and channels do not lag the game.

if you build pumpstacks looking like this:

z-even
Code: [Select]
wwwww
w...w   w - wall
ww^ww   . - floor
ww^ww   ^
ww_ww   ^ - pump, pump from south
wwwww   _ - channel

z-odd
Code: [Select]
wwwww   V
ww_ww   V - pump, pump from north
wwVww
wwVww
w...w
wwwww

the game will only need to do temperature recalculations (which are the big culprit for magma influencing FPS) one time, when you first activate the stack. The 3-tile reservoir below the next pump's input channel ensures that the wall next to the above pump's input tile will always remain heated, even when the pump takes out the middle magma.

here is how it looks like ingame: http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-31888-pumpstacktop
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 04:06:48 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479