Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17

Author Topic: Elysium - A World of A Thousand Gods (Chapter I)  (Read 15830 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Elysium - A World of A Thousand Gods (Chapter I: The Five Gods)
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2014, 06:16:19 am »

"We should leave soon," Dust declared loudly as she made her way to the vehicle.

Attempt to enter and inspect the interior of the vehicle.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2014, 11:56:15 am »

Explore camp briefly and collect any remarkable plant or animal specimens before boarding the vehicle.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2014, 12:43:18 pm »

Head for the transport immediately, but have my weapon clutched and ready, this place could not be trusted it would seem ....

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2014, 01:17:56 pm »

If Kazren had a face, his expression as he looked at the Weaver's champion would have been bemused. She was either talking to him or to herself, considering that they were the only two in the room, and yet the way she spoke was as if she was addressing many. Or perhaps no one at all. It was difficult to tell with those that the Weaver had touched.

Ask the vehicle, politely, to allow me entrance. Examine the driver's/pilot's area thoroughly. Considering that I don't intend to operate weapons, and I can't very well stand on the outside and punch things, this is probably where I'm going to end up.

((Irony, I may have interpreted your character's dialogue badly. If so, I apologize.))
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2014, 05:59:48 pm »

((Irony, I may have interpreted your character's dialogue badly. If so, I apologize.))
((I believe cat lady is in here as well, but even if so it's a fair assessment. :3))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2014, 06:03:54 pm »

((I want to post an action before I go to do stuff (or, more likely, sleep) for most of the day. Forgive me for the lack of RP.))

See if I can find any friends in the camp, even if Father isn't here. A long trip would be far nicer with a friend to talk to!
Those others Father is sending me off with seem a little... odd. Almost frightening, even, or they would be if Father hadn't said they were alright. Father knows these sort of Things, after all.

With a new friend or without, head back to that fancy truck-thing afterwards.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2014, 11:43:37 am »

The Garage Band

Kazren ventures inside the Myrmidon with Dust - the former asks the voice for permission first, which it grants happily. They march up the ramp, into the interior of the wide, though low, vehicle. It seems like the Myrmidon could carry a good platoon's worth of men, more if the heavy machinery put into the walls on both sides were removed. The voice explains these are the modifications made to the vehicle by the gods - devices and spaces to fulfill a variety of needs.

The most simple are the bunks, six of them on the right side. They don't look like they offer too much in the way of comfort, but it's better than the metal floor. At the far front is the driver's hole, crammed full of screens, switches, levers and buttons without clear purpose. The wheel, at least, is familiar. Two other seats are behind the driver's, on the right and left. One seems to be connected to the autocannon controls. The other sits before more machinery - presumably some other operator. From a cursory look, it would seem to let whoever's there fiddle with engines, targeting, and seemingly every other system on board.

More arcane is the man-sized tank set in the wall on the left, with an extensive control panel next to it. The machine speaks up when they come to it; 'The gods have seen fit to gift this vehicle with a sacred gene-altering and graft station. If you are deemed worthy of the honor, the gods may allow you to upgrade your mortal form onboard the Myrmidon. Rejoice, champions!'

The voice explains it to be a fully automatic machine; simply step inside, and the tank will operate on you. The absence of a thinking element is somewhat worrying, but the gods are capable of great wonders, even from their distant strongholds.

Next to the augmentation tank is something the voice explains to be a 'replicator and modification station', which, according to the voice, channels the gods' power to create something out of nothing. It's god-technology far beyond the champions' understanding, and should supply them with all their basic ammo, fuel and basic consumable needs. Recycled sustenance gruel may prove dreadfully dull in the long run, but then, most of the champions no longer have the organs or taste buds to enjoy foods, anyway. The crafting table will also allow easy and assisted modification and upgrading of weapons and equipment.

The last piece of interest is a large altar to the gods. Using this, the voice says, you will be able to reach the gods with your prayers anywhere you go. The more tech-savvy among you suspect it to be a high-tech comms device of divine machinery. It is connected to the replicator; as long as the altar functions, the gods may send items and gifts to their champions through it. This, presumably, is how they would acquire most of the 'materials' for the gene-tank.

The big engine, closed off from the rest of the space, the voice proclaims with what seems like pride, is a 'divine fusion engine'. It should be capable of unbroken running for months. The voice informs the champions the gods have barred them from touching it or interfering with its divine mechanisms. It is another piece that seems to function on a level of technology that may as well be magic - or divine wonder, rather.

'Questions, honored champions?'

Spoiler: Dust (click to show/hide)

Arlia

Leaving the garage without another word, Arlia wanders over to her mistress' camp. She doesn't exactly take a direct path, eyes scanning the earth and going where she sees anything worth investigating. The scarce plant life here is hardy and tough, dark, twisting roots and spiked brambles collecting moisture from the air. This used to be a stronghold, and perhaps the effects of that linger, but for the most part, life is as hard to find as on most of the waste. It takes an expert eye to get anything useful - but she has that.

[2+1=3] Most of the plants and insects she finds are perfectly common, without any useful applications. Life seems to flourish nearer to Aeraimua's camp, but she's not been here long enough for anything to properly grow. The Healers could do well with this place, given enough time, but likely it would just decay and collapse after they had left. She does get her hands on a scuttling red beetle that, when crushed and eaten, has a slight numbing effect. Some tribes of the wastes like to snack on them before going to battle.

With that, Arlia heads into the camp proper. The tents here are made with wood and leaves from some oasis. Two tribal warriors, their skin marked with intricate animal patterns put there by the will of their goddess, put their fists against their hearts when she passes them. She is to be honored, like all champions of the wild goddess. The thermal spears they carry are much like Arlia's bolas - old and new intertwined - though the also carry long-barreled rifles on their backs, wrapped in animal hide and bone. Others of their kind mill about the camp behind them, alongside other servants, dressed in the way of settled people. Some men and women sport fur, or slitted eyes, or horns - little gifts from the goddess. They have proven their loyalty, and now enjoy the rewards. Children also run around the camp, happy, safe - it reminds her how much of an oasis a god's presence is, out on the wastes.

She passes large, round huts of other shamans, witch doctors and bone-men, some of whom call out to her in respect. Smoke arises from some, the door-shroud drawn closed - the services of shamans are sought after by others in the camp. The future can be found in the bones, or the guts, or in the shapes of falling sand, they say, and sometimes they tell the truth.

On a large boulder, Aeraimua sits. She has taken the form of a nimble deer - shedding the powerful and deadly shape of the fortress. Aeraimua looks at her once, but turns way - she seems to have said all she had to say.

It will be a long journey - she could obtain materials for her craft, or weapons and equipment, from the servants here. Some may give them freely, but it is doubtful; traders are much the same, wherever you are, though some may think they could honor their mistress by gifting something to her servant.

Spoiler: Arlia the Shaman (click to show/hide)

The Everchild

The Everchild seeks out those she knows in the camp. Soon enough she's found Eryde, a young warrior woman Father has sometimes told to accompany her. She seemed happy at the Everchild's side on those times, and smiles when she sees her now. They chat of idle things while touring the camp, but when the Everchild asks her to come with them, she shakes her head and casts down her sight.

'I am sorry, ma'llen. It is not my place. You must go alone; though I will pray for you each night, so perhaps you may hear me, even so distant, when you dream.'

She hesitates, and presses something into the Everchild's free hand. It seems to be a stone, unremarkable except for a painted symbol - sort of like a circle with two lines above it - in blue on it. She has seen Eryde carry these sort of trinkets around before. She smiles again. 'This is a kinstone, dear one. It is touched by the souls of my ancestors... the blood of my blood, now dead. I will ask them to look over you for me. Keep it, and they will find you even in the darkest places.'

She looks into the distance. A dust storm seems to be brewing in the distance, though it won't get here for a while yet. Her next words are soft and quiet. 'Perhaps it's best that you go now..'

Spoiler: The Everchild (click to show/hide)

Fenrik

Fenrik ignores the approaching servants of Nilvath and slips away. The snow cat doesn't bother him again, and soon he's in the garage with the others. He grumbles and keeps his Magbow close to heart despite their presence.

Spoiler: Fenrik (click to show/hide)

---

I left the campers some chance to go around still, but they're free to head straight for the car. It's better classified as an APC-slash-tank than any 'truck', anyway, Ms. Everchild.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:54:42 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2014, 04:28:33 pm »

Arila considered her current equipment. She was fairly well equipped for combat, but slightly worried about her ammo. As for her other equipment, she was woefully unprepared for any major terraforming project. She would need to remedy both of those problems, and also see if she could purchase anything to help her craft any animals that may be necessary to sustain ecosystems she encountered.

Determine prices on more ammo, one of the new-tribal spears, colonizing plants, insects, and bacteria, and any form of bioscaffolding for engineering new animals.
My Area

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2014, 07:07:50 pm »

Kazren eyed the drivers area, taking in the expanse of controls and displays with an internal sigh. He hoped the Gods had seen fit to include instructions to go along with their divine transport. If not, well, he'd been educated on a number of useful logical processes that might help. For now, Kazren tucked his wings in and settled into the driver's hole, trying to familiarize himself with the control layout and identify any patterns.

"I have three questions, Divine Transport," Kazren began, his tone both formal and polite. "First, has their been included a manuscript detailing the proper operation of your sacred functions? Second, is there included within you a system of holy self-guidance in the event of emergency? And third, Divine Transport, do you have a name?"
    It was an important and popular saying that good manners cost nothing, and it was doubly important to remember when speaking with miracles that the Gods had given any form of intelligence. A younger Kazren, in his training days, would have been unable to keep a straight face while saying 'proper operation of your sacred functions'- much less have seen the importance of being polite to a creation. Now... If this transport believed it was divine, then Kazren wasn't going to deny it that belief.
   Besides, it was unwise to offend your primary mode of transportation.

((DH: How much money do we have in a qualitative sense? Is 100* enough to buy food for a week/month? 
More simply, in comparison to the average villager who doesn't worry about starving every winter, what is the buying power of 1500*?))
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:12:20 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2014, 10:14:59 am »

Arlia

[4] Arlia asks around for a few things she's missing. The thermal spear is a popular weapon, and she is offered one for 400*, crafted by a bone-father of the Rushing Wind tribe sworn to Aeraimua's service. The weapon is sturdy wood and metal, wreathed in blue cloth. The inactive spearhead sits above a trimming of fur. The spearheads lose their power after a time, and must be replaced. Replacement spearheads cost around 60* each.

Spoiler: Thermal Spear (click to show/hide)

She also seeks ammo for her current equipment; the Myrmidon should be able to create stocks of ammo for them, but you can never be too sure. Ammo for her sidearm is plentiful, costing 30* a clip. She does not find any more bolas, but they are rechargeable in any case.

Bio-engineering supplies are rather more difficult to find. The New Healers' tech isn't to be found just everywhere, and Aeraimua's followers are rarely farmers or other land-cultivators. The goddess possesses such technology, of course, but she does not share it with just anyone. It may be her best bet to ask for such a boon later.

The Warbreaker

Somehow noticing the Warbreaker's study of the controls - the front-facing missiles are also operated from here, he notes with dismay - the voice offers to explain them for him. It seems learnable enough, and the basic business of driving is not any harder than any other vehicle. One set of buttons and a large, circular screen brings up a map of the area - of all Elysium, it seems! - with their destination already marked. They are to follow a road they will find some distance from here north-west. There are some settlements on their path, before a larger cluster of black marked 'Atropol'. Some of the land is strangely coloured, or marked with unexplained symbols. A patch of land before the first settlement is coloured a sickly yellow-red.

The voice is eager to answer his questions. 'I am here to guide you with any problem that may arise, honored champions,' it replies, to the first. There's a sort of hum from somewhere within the driver's hole as it formulates its answers. 'I will assist with the running of the holy machine, in any and all matters. My control over the vehicle has been limited to simple demonstration, by decree of the gods. However, when rapid reaction is required, I may undertake some specific, minor actions.'

Kazren can't be sure if he imagines it, but the voice seems happy to answer the last question. There's a whirr and the machine tone cuts in before it can get going, however; 'WARNING! CORE PROGRAMMING DAMAGED. SELF-REPAIR SYSTEM BLOCKED. CONTROL AI FUNCTIONING AT LIMITED CAPABILITY.'

After a moment, the normal voice continues, seemingly oblivious to the other voice. 'You may call me Seeker. That has been my designation even before my service with the gods, glory to their works. However, it would be incorrect to refer to me as the transport. Though I inhabit its blessed machinery, the Myrmidon Assault Vehicle is not I.'

The voice - Seeker - returns to waiting on them once more.

---

@Buying Power: The cost of food rather varies (not that you have to worry about that, most of the time), but an average farmer in the region could purchase plenty of good, higher-tech tools and maybe even some farm machine with 1500*. It wouldn't make him a rich man, but it's around the profit of a very successful harvest. If you're planning on giving it away to the first starving child you see, it might just give them a chance for a good life.

I'm not so certain I want the Myrmidon to provide unlimited ammo anymore. Perhaps that feature will mysteriously break down on the road. Mwah mwah.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:43 am »

Purchase one spear, three spare spearheads, and give clips of ammo.

Arlia felt it better to be prepared and equipped than rely on a machine for all her ammo.

((Will there be chances to purchase things later, or is unspent money going to be sorta useless. ))
My Area

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2014, 10:34:33 am »

((Well, yeah, there are going to be chances. All the markets of Elysium await. And all the cash rewards for doing quests and such.))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2014, 10:36:02 am »

The Everchild, somewhat saddened by her friend's refusal to accompany her, inspected the kinstone, holding it closer to her cameras and turning it this way and that in her large, armoured hand. A wide-eyed, curious expression is implied, naturally.
"Oh... it is a very pretty stone, Eryde," she says, a note of gratitude, or happiness, creeping into her voice despite the shell's lack of expression, "Thank you! I will take good care of it." As the kinstone is secreted away in a compartment of one gleaming white leg, guided more by computer than any conscious thought, her cameras pan skywards to observe the approaching storm. She doesn't seem overly enthused by the woman's suggestion. "Probably. The others do not seem like much Fun, though."
A mechanized, grating sound that somewhat resembles a sigh emanates from the speakers as the Everchild begins to turn away.
"Good-bye, Eryde. I will see you when I get back."

Graciously accept this 'kinstone', and place it carefully in one of my storage compartments.
Then, bid farewell to Eryde and go back to the strange vehicle we're to be travelling in.
If any of the others are inside, climb aboard and inspect the interior.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2014, 10:46:08 am »

((Well, yeah, there are going to be chances. All the markets of Elysium await. And all the cash rewards for doing quests and such.))
((I sorta figured, but I wanted to make sure. Didn't know how populated the wastes would be.))
My Area

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2014, 10:58:44 am »

Arlia

Arlia makes her purchases, the traders praising her name for the favor she gives them. The tech-spear feels good in her hands, and she gives it a few test whirls and stabs. Aeraimua trained her with a variety of weapons, and a spear should prove no trouble to use. She's now rather overloaded with cylinders for her Sixshooter, with limited space to put them in. She'll probably need to leave some behind in a real combat situation, or they'll get in her way.

The Everchild

The Everchild returns to the garage and joins Kazren, Dust and Fenrik inside. He sees exactly what the others did earlier, and is there just in time to hear the voice explain its name to be Seeker.

Spoiler: The Everchild (click to show/hide)

---

Just a quick post to move people around. There's no need for an action in moving back to the APC, which I should've said earlier.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 17