Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Elysium - A World of A Thousand Gods (Chapter I)  (Read 15843 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Elysium - A World of A Thousand Gods (Chapter I: The Long Red Road)
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2014, 12:28:22 am »

(Also, you can be assumed to have embedded comms devices that allow you to communicate across short distances such as these. Unless, of course, someone wants to make their job more difficult, which can only be good.)
(("Alright, everyone ready? Let's-"
"Wait wait wait wait. Everybody take their comms out."
"What? Why?"
"We're about to go into a haunted series of twisting tunnels, pitch-black and seeming almost to move when you look away. Comms would completely ruin the atmosphere! You'd be able to talk to allies for support, confirm your position so you don't get lost or swear the tunnels are shifting, even be certain that who you're seeing is, in fact, actually the one you think it is and not an apparition, doppleganger, or the fevered hallucinations of your own tormented mind!"
"..." x5 [yes, even Seeker]))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2014, 02:20:18 am »

(Rest assured ruins like that would be fully capable of messing with your comms without your help. The real panic sets in when you realize the voices won't stop even when you turn your comms off.)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2014, 02:23:22 am »

(I would refuse embedded comms but I doubt Nilvath cares what I think :P)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2014, 02:27:28 am »

(I would refuse embedded comms but I doubt Nilvath cares what I think :P)
((You'll accept this Metallic Pain Worm-shaped comm and you'll like it. With a smile, I said. WITH A SMIIIIIIIIIIIILE!))
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2014, 04:19:12 am »

[I like where all this is going]
* Tiruin returns to observer status.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2014, 06:35:36 am »

Dust

Ganna shudders as if struck when Dust addresses her. After a frightened glance, she turns her gaze down at her feet. It takes her a moment to speak. Her voice is bright and melodic, but the effect is rather ruined as her words come out in a low mumble: 'G-Ganna... Ganna tries to be.'

She gives the beast rider a pained look. He shakes his head;

'Not Ganna,' the man says. 'I. 'I try to be'. Remember. You are no-one's. You are not a toy.'

She nods, shuddering again. 'I... I try to be. Thank you, mast- Thank you, Jago.'

Ganna nods, seemingly to herself, and returns Dust's stare, but the fear doesn't quite leave her eyes.

Spoiler: Dust (click to show/hide)

---

I am glad to hear you like, Tir.

Should I color general NPC dialogue more, or make any other formatting changes for clarity's sake? I thought to leave colored text for gods and champions, but *shrug*.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:47:52 am by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2014, 08:27:41 am »

Kazren, waved away the offered food politely. "I mean no disrespect to you or your house, good woman, but I cannot eat in the way of most." Kazren really did wish he could eat, it was one of the many pleasures in life that was stolen by lack of a tongue. More than pleasure, however, it would have cemented a few tribal rules of politeness about not killing guests.
   Considering Arlia's warning, such rules would have been nice to have. If he assumed her information was good, and he had no reason to doubt that it was, that probably meant they were going to get ambushed in the next few seconds. Traditional diplomacy took time, which meant that Kazren needed to gamble. If he won, he could save the lives of many. If he lost... There would be blood on his hands tonight.
     Kazren gave Ganna and Jago both an approving nod at their display of independence. "My name is Kazren, Jago, and I am impressed by what I see," Kazren said, the emotion in his voice genuine. "Ganna is a rescue from one of the dark gods, is she not? It is a rare individual who can find the courage to defy a God in the name of Justice and Reason. Rare individuals like that are, in large part, the reason I am here." Kazren shifted, settling his wings comfortably, adjusting them into a good position where he could flare them suddenly if necessary. "The other reason I am here is, regrettably, not born out of the nobility of your cause. I found, not far from here, a coward's totem. On it was a man, tortured and mutilated, with the words 'No Gods, No Masters' hacked into his chest." Kazren fell silent for a brief moment, letting his words fall heavily into the quiet oasis. "Know that I believe in a cause such as yours. Gods can often predicate injustice and horror that grinds the common man to dust. I have seen good people die to such cruelty, but people such as you bring hope to those oppressed. This is why the totem worries me, because it indicates that there are those who misinterpret independence from the Gods. A man who kills out of hatred for the Gods, out of a belief that those who believe might  harm them, is not a free man. He may profess freedom with his tongue, but his actions proclaim him a slave to the Gods that he despises. It does not matter whether his actions are driven out of love, fear, or hate, if he allows those emotions to govern him, he is still mastered, whatever his claim." Kazren shook his head carefully, panning his vision to get a decent look at the tribals around him. "If there are those among you who kill simply because their victims believe in the Gods and choose to serve, how are they any different from those servants of the Gods who slaughter your kind simply because you do not believe? I want Justice, friend Jago, nothing more and nothing less. I want you to succeed, I want you to bring hope to the people and freedom to the oppressed. Yet there are those among you that I believe commit injustice in the name of your cause. This is the reason I am here, and this is the topic I wish to discuss."

Kazren settled back, the intensity in his voice fading. "I apologize for being verbose, friend Jago, but I wished to make my point before your people attacked us. Believe me when I say that I understand the injustice of the Gods better than most, and also believe me when I say that I would sooner have you as a friend than an enemy. Please, I ask you, call off the ambush and let us speak without fear of sudden violence."

((I'm fine with no color, but I've operated that way for a long time.))

Attempt to get our conversation wound down to a point where we no longer fear sudden attack. Diplomacy is the mother of all long lives.

((EDIT: Sorry, realized very late that I didn't have anything bold.))
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 08:40:41 am by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2014, 03:00:31 pm »

Fenrik sighed as Arlia revealed that these tribals were indeed part of the group they sought. Leaning back he laughed slightly as he murmured out loud,

"What a world to have been built on death, murder, and the blind worship of 'Gods' ... Seeker prepare for a fight, these fools are the godless 'heathens' that Kazren has us chasing down, and it looks like they have a taste for some of the blood of a 'God's' servant. If we can I'd like to avoid losing any of those fools, and preferably get you out of this unharmed so I want you to use the RPDs to take out anyone aiming for the vehicles even if you have to blow them up."

Once Seeker gives an okay to my orders I prepare to use the autocannon, if the fighting starts focus on any of the tribals that have heavier weaponry.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2014, 08:49:47 pm »

Arlia stepped forward.

"You have an excellent canvas in this land here; a small group such as yours could live well without the need to kill. Just beneath our feet is a giant worm whose flesh is quite appetizing, and the soil it tunnels through is rich in nutrients. Let us help you before we leave; it could be of much more use to you than our deaths. After all, what could killing us possibly solve? Our group is certainly no threat to you."
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2014, 09:32:33 pm »

Dust could barely contain herself, so she didn't, cackling at the young woman's attempts at being herself.

"Well, Ganna, it seems you have your work cut out for you," she said, taking and biting into a chunk of meat. She began chewing enthusiastically, mouth open, still staring at the young warrior. "I look forward to seeing what you can do."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2014, 06:22:04 am »

A chunk of unidentified dried meat pinched between the thumb and forefinger of an oversized, mechanical hand, the Everchild is unsure quite how to respond to Arlia's actions. The bulky robotic body shifts somewhat, leaning to the side so that the shaman's arm can drape over it more easily, but otherwise the Child remains still and silent, not wanting to mess up.

She's rather bewildered and, secretly, somewhat frightened by these strangers offering them food.
They don't seem anywhere near as nice or happy as Father's people. They seem... scared, and that leads her to wonder why.

>Accept a piece of the offered meat, hold it uselessly before me. Watch these strange people closely.
Do any of them seem... nice? Happy? Are any of them smiling? Or are they all just as weird? Try not to do anything wrong.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:18 am »

Fenrik

Fenrik gets ready to use the autocannon if things heat up and gives Seeker its orders. The spirit of the machine whirrs for a while before answering. 'That is impossible, honored champion. Self-control has been limited. Parameters for preservative reaction are not met. I am not worthy to use this vehicle's divine weaponry,' it/he says. 'The RPD controls may be accessed from the driver or co-pilot's seat, should you need to use them.'

Spoiler: Fenrik (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Myrmidon (click to show/hide)

The Away Team

Ganna lowers her eyes again at Dust's comments, with the Warbreaker's approving nod going right past her. She hesitates, but after a moment backs away from Jago and the champions with hurried steps. The leader watches her go as he listens to the words of Kazren in turn. Slight surprise seems to register on his features, but they're as stony as ever by the time Kazren finishes. This does not appear to be a man too concerned with emotion.

Jago says nothing at first - his eyes roam over Kazren's form as if expecting to see some hidden truth in him not recognizable on his blank, gleaming 'face'. He does not appear to give any signal and the warriors remain where they are, which is at least some comfort. The Everchild, rather oblivious, scans the faces of the people in the camp for any smiles or softness. A few grin in nervous or perhaps bloodthirsty, though that goes beyond her, anticipation, but the rest look frightened or sullen.

[5]

Jago bites into a piece of the meat himself with his guests satisfied as well as they can be. As Dust also finds, the meat is chewy and tasteless, but it's still food. The man eats quickly, ripping off pieces until nothing is left. He seems unconcerned with Kazren's words, though other warriors clearly also heard them. Some chatter rises among them but is quickly stifled.

'She was a slave,' he says, at last. 'Taken as a child by a great and honorable champion. Him we buried deep. And she... one cannot be a slave to a dead man.'

Jago does not seem fearful of be in the middle of armoured champions who know they were intended to be ambushed. It might be an act, but it's a good one.

'I will speak truth to you, champion,' he says to Kazren. 'You give your words to the wrong man. Your 'Justice' is not mine. Your praise or condemnation of the Unbegotten does not interest me. We will kill who we wish and take what we will as long as one of us still draws breath. Cathren is ash and Baichakl will burn with all their blind and lost. Those who swear may live - I hope it to be so, but it is not for me to decide. Nothing you say will stop that from happening.'

He spreads his hands. 'We killed the man. Is that what you wished to hear, champion? He was not the only one, and like the others, he serves a purpose in death,' he says, before turning to Arlia. There might be a tinge of amusement in his voice when he speaks. 'Solve? Death is such a little thing, but there is no problem it will not solve. A wisdom of my own, after all your great and noble thoughts.'

Spoiler: The Everchild (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fenrik (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dust (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arlia the Shaman (click to show/hide)

---

I spent a ridiculous amount of time on this update, despite how short it actually became. Not that bad of a thing, mind you.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2014, 09:45:33 am »

"If you believe that, then you are nothing more than a raider," Kazren says, his voice sad. "I have died once before, and it solved nothing for anyone. Death can remove an aspect of a problem, but it is no better than fleeing. It solves nothing, it merely adds distance. What you plan, givin entire towns the choice of death or oaths... What purpose can this have? You destroy what little the wastelanders have managed to build in order to create a force that will bring ever more destruction? Where does the cycle end? What happens, friend Jago, when you've killed every God and sworn or slaughtered every non-believer? What happens when the only God left is the Nihilism you've raised up? There is no end to your current path that will not lead to pointless, needless, death. The problems will die with you, but they will die unsolved because of your cowardice." Kazren shook his head and raised his voice, addressing the entire camp. "Think! Where does your path end? Is there any fruit but vengeance that will come of your murders?"

Speak as such. If things go terribly, terribly wrong (which they might), flare my wings to push the fire and coals into the tribal leader. (Or whichever person attacks, should the tribal leader not instigate)
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2014, 02:00:20 am »

"I disagree," Dust piped up enthusiastically. "One can be a slave to anything. A memory, a fear... a cause, bloodlust..." Her expression jumped into a brief, maniacal grin, as though remembering some deranged humor, but just as quick returned to a wide-eyed smile.

"Tell me Jago, what are you a slave to?"

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2014, 06:45:23 pm »

"Since we're waiting for a chance to make our move I have a question Seeker, just who programmed you with these terrible rules and guidelines in regards to controlling the Myrmidon? Its painful to see such a creation as yourself blocked by layers of rules and laws."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17