Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Elysium - A World of A Thousand Gods (Chapter I)  (Read 15842 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elysium - A World of A Thousand Gods (Chapter I: The Long Red Road)
« Reply #135 on: August 24, 2014, 11:52:00 pm »

Go ahead and man the Myrmidon's main gun.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 27, 2014, 01:55:28 am »

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

The Everchild remains 'seated', rocking only slightly as the Myrmidon navigates the landscape in pursuit.
She has little in the way of suggestions to offer, but as they approach the landmark ahead she asks, her cannon shifting slightly as the words echo through the cabin, "Will there be fighting, soon? Are these the Bad People? What are we going to do?"

>Excitedly await whatever's going to happen. Try and familiarize myself with the section of my computer dealing with combat.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2014, 05:11:56 am »

Hit-the-Road Jacks

Kazren guides the Myrmidon forward slowly. There's little chance they won't be stopped - even going slow, the Myrmidon is a huge vehicle, with an engine that puts the roar of a snow cat to shame. Perhaps they could do something about that later, if the gods will permit modifications to the vehicle. The champions do their own preparations, Fenrik taking the gun and the Everchild going through her battle instructions. [6] The speck of blue on the map grows closer, though the landscape is identical with its rocks and crags. They offer a surprising amount of cover for their approach - and for the oasis. Without even seeing the place ahead of them, they're right on top of the oasis.

The Myrmidon rolls into the shade under two towering crags and nearly splashes into the water of a shallow pool. Green grows here, in healthy if not too numerous patches, and hard-barked trees offer more shade for its inhabitants.

They are expecting the vehicle, though it is clear they did not have too much warning. The campfire is hastily put out, and their own vehicles - three of them, light, makeshift offroads with machineguns attached - sit engines still on the left. One of them has its turret manned, at least, pointing directly at them. The rest are on foot, men and some women of differing appearance, carrying small arms and big, though varied, knives. Some seem like tribal warriors, others more like settlers. One man, muscular and lean-faced, is marked as a beast nomad by his hair, buzzcut at the sides and descendng in a long braid down his back. There's eight the champions can see through the cameras, scattered around in cover at a medium range from the front of the vehicle.

The beast rider steps forward, brandishing a spear with something attached below the spearhead. He raises it and speaks, too far away for the Myrmidon's systems to pick up. Kazren zooms in on the cameras to take in a hard face, sun-tanned skin scarred and pock-marked, with narrowed, wary eyes. As they watch, he moves the spear forward and back again, beckoning.

Spoiler: The Everchild (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fenrik (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dust (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arlia the Shaman (click to show/hide)
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2014, 02:01:42 am »

"I will go," Dust said immediately, if a bit mechanically. "I will report my findings."

Open the door and dash out. Lope towards the spear warrior at a decent but not sprinting pace. Stop when a few feet away. Three, for instance.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 31, 2014, 05:13:03 am »

Dust

Leaving the others in her... dust, Dust exits the Myrmidon through the back ramp and walks, as calmly as ever, towards the waiting spear-carrier. She feels eight pairs of eyes tracking her. The gathered men and women look tense - hell, they seem to radiate it, ready to use their weapons at the slightest provocation. From the way their eyes periodically fall on the beast rider, Dust figures they're waiting on his go. At least the guns aren't pointed at her, but she'd be right in everybody's sights in they wanted her dead. Still, they're hardly god-trained champions, though they look hard and accustomed to violence. That's not the same thing as accustomed to battle, of course. If the grisly message was their work, they'll find her a tougher opponent than that victim.

The beast rider - their leader, clearly - faces her with the spear at his side. She looks just as outlandish as the rest of her companions. The spear carrier's expression doesn't change at the sight of her - he remains wary and as tense as the rest. A moment passes in silence. Then, the man whirls his spear around - Dust starts to move to roll clear - but slams it spearhead-first into the dust. The gesture is near-universal; burying the 'axe', as they say. Dust notes the rest of the warriors don't rid themselves of their weapons.

The beast rider gestures behind him at the extinguished campfire, and speaks in a thick, clipped accent; 'Will your companions not share in our fire and shade? Or have you come alone, champion?'

Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 02, 2014, 01:30:00 am »

Dust tilted her head to the side, momentarily confused. Then unsure, then distracted.

After several awkward moments, she managed a carefree response: "I'm not sure. Let me ask them!"

The trek back to the Myrmidon felt rather long, and she kept her business there short- sticking her head back in, announcing that "They invited us to their campfire and shade. We should accept," and walking right back over there. No doubt somebody would have something to say about dangers and uncertainties, but she'd have none of it- meeting new people, especially new people who ambushed and betrayed you, was of the utmost importance.

"I am Dust, Champion of The Weaver," she said on getting back to the beast rider, sounding fairly formal and a bit haughty. "Me and my companions seek the Unbegot, as a minor affair."
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:02 am »

Kazren put the Myrmidon into a locked stop when it became evident that Dust wouldn't need immediate and armored retrieval. Still, he left Seeker with a command to keep the engine hot, just as a precaution.
  Dust's return to the vehicle was so quick that Kazren was left with no time to agree with the slightly mad champion statements, only to follow behind when she started on her way back to the Rider.
   The oasis camp was somewhat... disappointing.  The elysian wastes were almost always was inhospitable, but in this minor oasis there should be enough life for some form of limited agriculture. Yet, Kazren saw no evidence of such cultivation. A pity.

"Let us hope for cool days and warm nights, but we will gladly share fire while it burns and shade while it stays deep." Kazren said politely after Dust finished her blunt address. "Forgive us for not greeting you with our full number, but your people look as if they have seen hard times, and we do not wish to offer threat." Also, Kazren added mentally, we'd rather not provide you a wide target for that gunner. "As my companion said, we seek the Unbegot, but that is not a topic for hot sand. We are not enemies, and I believe everyone would benefit should we continue in a less..." Kazren paused, shifting his eyeless gaze to the tribal man still manning gun turret of the offroad, "confrontational setting."

Look for any evidence of cultivation, examine the object at the base of the beast rider's spear, and attempt to keep Dust from mortally offending anyone.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 02, 2014, 09:19:12 pm »

"You lot can go on ahead, and converse with these riders, I'll stay here and look after the Myrmidon."

Fenrik said as he stood up, and walked up to sit in one of the pilot seats before leaning the magbow against the door frame as gently as possible, he'd had that thing for years now and he still didn't quite trust it not to go off at the slightest provocation. Checking to make sure none of the others were coming up to the front compartment Fenrik spoke up,

"Seeker does this vehicle have some kind of recording capability? If so would you please capture numerous images of each of these riders, and pull them up on a screen for me to view?"

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 04, 2014, 09:25:12 am »

Scout the area with my ants while standing next to my allies to provide moral, and if necessary martial, support.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 04, 2014, 03:39:15 pm »

"But," the Everchild murmurs as the others relay the situation, "Aren't these the Bad People?"
The child quietly as they begin piling out of the vehicle, but nevertheless she follows them, mechanical limbs unfurling as she rises to a standing position and walks with a heavy tread after her companions. She wasn't too sure about this, but she supposed the others knew what they were doing.

>Reluctantly follow the others out to (silently) meet these strangers. Stay on guard, and close to the others.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 08, 2014, 11:05:29 am »

Discretion Is Not the Better Part of Valor

With the exception of Fenrik, who finds himself preferring the steel box of the Myrmidon and all the marvellous protection it offers, the champions trot out to meet the lot of them. The coward uses the time it takes the champions to cross over to the waiting warriors to capture images of those facing their way. The picture quality is not very high at this range, but they're identifiable enough if there'll ever be need. Fenrik settles comfortably in the gunner's seat and keeps the group in his sights. If things go bad, he's in an excellent position to gun down anyone he wishes in the chaos of battle.

Kazren is the first to join Dust, the others trailing behind. As the warriors take in most of the champions' rather outlandish forms, whispering begins to spread through the ranks. They seem startled, at the least, or perhaps even angry. No normal mortal would look this way, though the wasteland is full of strange beings. Their transport no doubt already gave them away as godly champions, though, so the damage is done.

Arlia sends out her ants in a thin stream to scout the area. Concentrating on that work while walking is a bit difficult, so they mainly roam around the oasis without any real goal. Some surge into water and drown before she can stop them, others fall under her companions' boots.

[2] Kazren eyes the ring-like metal shape just below the spearhead. It doesn't resemble anything specific he's seen before, but it would likely be some technological device or charge. Such combinations of high and low technology are popular here, as Arlia's spear would seem to prove. The Warbreaker also searches the oasis and the rocky terrain for any signs of cultivation, but if there is any, it doesn't stick out to him. It does not seem this place is inhabited permanently - perhaps the rocks, or the distance from other settlements, are an obstacle. Still, there are a wide variety of wasteland nomads who are bound to make excellent use of such a place. If settlers were to build a home here, those nomads would be without their source of water, and might perhaps be driven to take it back by force.

Right now, though, Kazren has peace in the present to focus on, though. The beast rider takes his words in with only a slight twitch of his pockmarked features, hard eyes flicking from him to the others of the group. Once the four of them are there, he gestures to the shade of the rocks and begins to lead the way. A few hand gestures to the warriors gets the tribal gunner out of his vehicle. Guns are held loose, tense men doing their best to seem at ease. All of the warriors sit down around the oasis in the shade of the great rocks, though they still keep staring.

'Food is scarce, but Ganna will give you what she can,' the rider, their clear leader, says as he settles down on a cool rock by the pool. 'I'm sorry there's nothing better to offer. If... you can eat like mortals. Honored champions.'

He gestures them down, while another of the warriors, a frightened-looking girl with haphazardly cut, short reddish hair, offers chunks of dried meat from her pack. She doesn't seem to want to look directly at any of them.

Arlia

[6] While he speaks, Arlia's ants begin coming back to her, bringing with them a barrage of sensations and images. The land would respond well enough to terraforming, she finds - the soil is not as bad as it could be, and there is water somewhere underneath. The rocks and their shade offer refuge to a variety of insects and wasteland lizards who feed on the hard-barked trees and sparse grass. She also finds the tracks of a gutter worm - a rather feared, six-feet carnivorous worm that makes excellent eating - nearby, just under the surface.

For a change, the ants also catch flickers of conversation. It would not appear they were noticed in their small numbers and aimless wandering. One pair of warriors speaks in a dialect she does not understand, and one the ants do not catch too well from so low, but others come to her clearer. A woman who sounds convinced that looking into Dust's eyes has cursed her. Another muttering what seems to be a protective charm. Most clearly, she catches the words of two tribal warriors, who now sit in the shade of the opposite boulder;

'-but it isn't right. We offered them shade, and- and it's bad luck to kill a shaman,' the younger of the pair said. From the ants' vantage point, both of them tower like giants.

'Coward. We are not of the blood any longer, brother. You swore the oath, remember? No Gods, No Masters. Speak it.'

Hesitation. The young one glances at the champions somewhere outside the ants' viewpoint, nervous. 'No Gods, No Masters,' he repeats. His fingers touch a submachinegun hanging from his shoulder. The older one spits on the ground.

'We will act fast. When they are eating. Wait for the beast-man's signal, then, do as I do.'

They said nothing else that the ants could hear. Arlia snaps back into the present, where the beast rider is offering them the paltry food and all the warriors' eyes are upon them. All of the champions can practically feel the tension in the air.

Spoiler: The Everchild (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fenrik (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arlia the Shaman (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:48:52 am by Digital Hellhound »

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2014, 03:36:14 pm »

Loud enough for all, most importantly Fenrik, to hear, Arlia said, "Everchild, I believe you were right before when you said these were Good People; your instincts are fantastic. It is quite generous of them to offer us food." She gave the guide as broad a smile as she could, under the circumstances, and drew the Everchild under her arm, acting excessively motherly towards the robot.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2014, 04:27:46 pm »

"Ganna, is it?" Dust said loudly, hand perched over the offered food but not attached to it. She could hardly leave before giving the food she clearly wanted, after all. "Tell me, are you a warrior?"

Needless to say, Arlia's coded warning went completely unheeded in the meantime.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2014, 06:26:38 pm »

(Digital Hellhound, about how far away from the other tribals are my fellow champions?)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 09, 2014, 12:00:53 am »

(In game terms, everybody is now at Long Range from you, and the champions are at Close Range with the tribals. This represents distances from them sitting beside them to five metres away, but it's all Close. The rocks might block your view of some of the warriors, but rest assured the away team is fully in sight of them.

Also, you can be assumed to have embedded comms devices that allow you to communicate across short distances such as these. Unless, of course, someone wants to make their job more difficult, which can only be good.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:03:59 am by Digital Hellhound »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17