Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Endless migrants .. from a long-dead civ  (Read 748 times)

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Endless migrants .. from a long-dead civ
« on: July 31, 2014, 06:03:45 am »

Now that dwarves actually elect new monarchs and the game world continues marching on as we play, I've become really fond of playing dead dwarven civs. 

However, during the last couple of games, on both .04 and .05, I've noted that I get endless migrant waves.  Has anyone else seen this or come up with a bit of a explanatory story?

I could imagine if whatever few dwarves were still alive in the world were defecting from their host nations to come join the last great hope of their race, but when I check their descriptions, it just looks like they're all coming from the first city that was founded. 

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Endless migrants .. from a long-dead civ
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:12:06 am »

Were these the first couple waves? I know that the first 2 waves are garunteed, to happen, even in worlds without any dwarves. The game bends the rules a little to get you started.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 07:43:54 am »

I get a moderately-sized wave every season, between 10 and 20, going on three or four years -- every last one of them coming from the founding city. 

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 07:53:20 am »

I'm not sure where they came from, but I had a huge wave of migrants come in during the 2nd or 3rd year. I didn't count, but it must have been 20-30 of them
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 08:00:07 am »

Given how civilian dwarves run off in horror at the sound of a worm coughing, I would imagine not many dwarves actually died in the conquering of the original city; the goblins just showed up, everyone ran, they killed off the one llama left wandering disconsolately around, and piffo zippo it was "conquered".

All those freeloaders civilians are now just looking for a new home.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 08:18:37 am »

Given how civilian dwarves run off in horror at the sound of a worm coughing, I would imagine not many dwarves actually died in the conquering of the original city; the goblins just showed up, everyone ran, they killed off the one llama left wandering disconsolately around, and piffo zippo it was "conquered".

All those freeloaders civilians are now just looking for a new home.
It was inevitable.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:50:26 pm »

Were these the first couple waves? I know that the first 2 waves are garunteed, to happen, even in worlds without any dwarves. The game bends the rules a little to get you started.

It's a little more complex than that, now.  In 0.34 that was certainly true -- you would get at least 2 waves of immigrants no matter what.  In 0.40.05, there's a new STRICT_POPULATION_CAP setting in d_init.txt.  If your population is already at this level, then the wave may still be generated, but it won't contain any dwarves.  Or maybe the waves don't always arrive at your fortress, due to distance, or being attacked en route... there's a lot we're still trying to learn.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz