Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf constructing wall the wrong side  (Read 814 times)

Bki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf constructing wall the wrong side
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:22:56 am »

So, I just had my mason wall himself on the wrong side when I sent him to wall the caverns off. In the previous versions, I designated a wall to be constructed on the place I didn't want him to, suspended the construction, and then he wouldn't stand there.

I did this. It didn't work.

So, is there any other workarounds against this particular bit of regular dorf stupidity?

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf constructing wall the wrong side
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 05:44:39 am »

I'm not even sure that actually works, just some mojo I always use, but I designate the other side of the wall as restricted traffic. Never had that problem when I do it.
I guess if the stone you chose to make the wall is on the other side the dwarf will still wall himself off, just never had it happen.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:23:27 am »

The "suspended construction" trick hasn't worked since v0.31 / early v0.34.

Restricted traffic areas are also ineffective, since dwarves will path through them if necessary.

Using construction materials *inside* your fortress (so that the constructing dwarf approaches carrying the material from the right side) does appear to work. You can forbid construction materials on the "wrong side", or just build problematic walls out of stone blocks / metal bars / soap / anything else not commonly found outside the fortress.

Bki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 12:52:53 pm »

The "suspended construction" trick hasn't worked since v0.31 / early v0.34.

Restricted traffic areas are also ineffective, since dwarves will path through them if necessary.

Using construction materials *inside* your fortress (so that the constructing dwarf approaches carrying the material from the right side) does appear to work. You can forbid construction materials on the "wrong side", or just build problematic walls out of stone blocks / metal bars / soap / anything else not commonly found outside the fortress.

From what I remember about 0.31, it worked well then. I haven't played 0.34 a lot though, so maybe it was changed then and I didn't remember.

Being able to tell a dwarf from which side he should construct something really should be something, though, because that's actually a relatively common problem (and let's be honest : dorfs go to the wrong side of the wall even when they take the item they construct with from the right side.

Still... I can't test it right now, but would a non-suspended construction work? Constructions are always done from the last one ordered to the first one, so maybe it would work.