Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Looking for a semi-simulated game  (Read 1937 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for a semi-simulated game
« on: July 30, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »

I'm finding myself wanting to play a complex game where all the game play is in the setup of something. And then the game simulates how the game plays out through a use of algorithms and AI.

I would prefer if the outcomes were even slightly random, and if there were MANY factors to adjust.

So, anyone have an suggestions?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a semi-simulated game
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 07:01:13 pm »

Do you mean something like Gratuitous Space Battles, where you set up your ships to face an enemy, give them targeting priorities and then watch how it all plays out?  Or something more like Carnage Heart, where the focus is on programming detailed instructions into each individual unit?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 07:11:42 pm »

Scriptarians The Tournament.
A game where you are supposed to program several characters and pit them to fight in an arena. It's pretty complex when classi nterractions start to come into play.

Sim earth.
in theory you are expected to manage a planet but you can ignore everything and just leave it to do its thing.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 07:14:45 pm »

A game where you are supposed to program several characters and pit them to fight in an arena. It's pretty complex when classi nterractions start to come into play.
There seems to be very little information, and the official site is down.  How my I obtain such a game?!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 07:18:08 pm »

I meant something closer to gratuitous space battles. But heavily drenched in simulation. Sim earth would be awesome if there was more to it.

Almost like an RTS or turn based strategy game played out by AI, where you control things in the background (no not like The Last Federation)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:31:53 pm »

Possibly a high automation game of Distant Worlds. Similarly, I think some of the paradox games can be played like that (via intrigue or whatever, my computer can't run any of the ones I have well enough to play much, so I don't know for sure), even if not precisely optimally.

Also a few AoS maps back in WC3 days that could be played like that, by not engaging with your heroes and just doing base maintenance and whatnot -- fairly unsatisfying, but possible. The Majesty games, perhaps. Very distantly the Ogre Battle line of games (all two of them, in english ::)).

S'far as I'm aware, you're going to find a few things that are kinda' similar to what you're looking for if you look at it sideways and squint a little, but something really fitting that description... just doesn't exist. Definitely nothing very well developed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:32:14 pm »

Have you tried Frozen Synapse or Frozen Endzone? Less backround control but lots of simulating outcomes against a AI

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 07:43:38 pm »

S'far as I'm aware, you're going to find a few things that are kinda' similar to what you're looking for if you look at it sideways and squint a little, but something really fitting that description... just doesn't exist. Definitely nothing very well developed.
There's not a big market for 'games you don't play'.

And yet Final Fantasy 13 hit the market...

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:52:54 pm »

I know this really cool game, it sounds like what you've described, it's called Dwarf Fortress.  :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 08:03:33 pm »

There's not a big market for 'games you don't play'.

And yet Final Fantasy 13 hit the market...
Actually... well, not exactly a market, but. Idle games -- ones where you, pretty much, don't play -- seem to be half-way popular. Not really pay-for popular, but there's a buncha' flash ones. Lotta' facebook an' tick-based (X actions per time period, etc.) games are fairly close to that, too... there's actually monetization of the little-to-no play design.

It's just... they tend to be so simplistic as to be painful, or viciously exploitative of their playerbase (or both), such as it is. Also rarely much meaningful simulation involved, hum.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 08:09:27 pm »

I'd love to see a game like Dwarf Fortress with functional economy, brought to the level of Sim City.  Very large economies and 'social machines' driven by extremely small items (individuals).

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 08:23:51 pm »

I actually have something a little different. If you wind up looking for a sports-flavored version of this, it's NFL Head Coach 09. They only made two Head Coach games, and the first one was terrible. The second one is very mediocre, but I play it now and again because it scratches that weird itch to be a mentor/teacher/coach instead of going out and doing things myself. There's nothing like seeing a well executed gameplan.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 08:59:01 pm »

There seems to be very little information, and the official site is down.  How my I obtain such a game?!

Honestly? It was added to a games magazine and i didn't play it that much personally (programming is not really my thing).
I would harbour a guess that since the main site is down and there is no real way of aquireing it pirating might be a viable option.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:01:51 pm by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 09:43:51 pm »

Not tons of factors, but you kind of described the majesty series.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 11:25:07 pm »

I'll second Distant Worlds on that. A bit pricey, but with high automation the game practically runs itself, occasionally asking you for input.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: [1] 2