Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Dark Souls - Reign of the Four Kings [DnD 3.5 IC Thread] [The Undead Asylum]  (Read 11917 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile

All OOC conversation takes place here.

So… that’s who you are. The memories bring little comfort within the cold of the asylum. The darkness clings tenaciously to the walls and to your soul. No matter how many times you try to recall your life you know that you cannot possibly cling to it long enough to stave off your hollowing. Eternity is a very very long time.

Unbeknownst to you this is the thought process that most who enter the Asylum go through when they first regain consciousness. Who am I? What was I? How long can I stay sane? Eventually, all bearers succumb to the hollowing. You, however, are fortunate.

*THWUMP*

A mighty collision happens nearby. You have no idea what could possibly be so large as to cause it but the rusted iron doors holding your cells shut shudder briefly.

You stare at the door. It… They couldn’t have possibly. Rushing to the door you realize that the doors of this cell, and most of the others that you can see, are in a woeful state of disrepair.

*CRASH*

The sound of shattering pottery and creaking stone greets your ears as you stumble from the force of… whatever is happening.

*CRASH*

*THWUMP*

*BOOM*

*Crreeeeeeeeeeak*

And with that your cell door falls off the hinges. You… You are free!

But… Looking around you see that a few other Bearers are nearby. Each is nearly as decayed as yourself. Including yourself you notice, in no particular order:

A longsword wielding elf who has a scar upon her face. Whatever beauty she may have once had is hidden by the decayed state of her face.

A short corpulent dwarf wearing nothing but an odd style of dress that you have not seen in these lands. His flesh is not as rotten in appearance as the others but dwarves often show less sign of decay than the other races. Given time, he will likely grow to look even worse than the rest of you.

The third to stride from their cell seems to be searching for some sort of food as they keep mentioning ‘pickles’. Obviously a human, they appear to be looking frantically for their ‘pickles’. Whoever this is must be further along the hollowing process than the others.

The fourth is another elf, you infer from the size and general demeanor, who is entirely covered by both robe and mask. The mask seems to glow where the eyes usually are. Upon further examination you can see that the visible flesh is rotted and grey. Perhaps a grey elf?

The last, and shortest, to emerge from the cells appears to be a plant creature of sorts. Most likely a gnome judging by the height, but the plants growing all over him suggest otherwise. Both gnome and plant are severely decayed however and seem to be surviving off sheer willpower.

None of them speak for a moment.

*CRASH*

Do they even have time? The Undead Asylum is being racked with tremors and loud crashes at an alarming rate. There is just enough light to make out the form of a hallway. It is either to the north, or back into the cells.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile

Ryurist wheezes to himself.
"I must not walk the path of evil."
His voice was hoarse and unsettling, as it had been ever since he had died. It was once strong and mighty, but it was weak; he felt his voice had been the first thing to go. That, combined with his unsettlingly sallow appearance, contributed to his less-than-satisfactory charisma.

He wanted to do whatever he could to make things right for anyone he could, himself included. He began to run northward before any of the others.
"Fools! Come quickly if you wish to survive!"

((As you can see, I swapped out my trait. Just letting you know.))
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

"H-h-hey. Wait up, I can't run that fast!"
The gnomish plant - or is it plantish gnome? - struggles to keep up, running after the dwarf. His drooping and browned foliage keeps getting in his eyes, and he brushes it out of the way.
"Where are we going?"
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile

The masked elf stands to her feet and briefly looks at the carnage. Without saying a word, she gracefully begins to rush out her cell and starts to stride beside them, her white robes flapping behind her, revealing a mostly concealed body apart from where her flesh was exposed.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

While the other two seem to be preparing themselves for what lies ahead, or perhaps they are just hard thinkers, the Grey Elf, Dwarf, and Gnome all rush up the hallway. The loud crashes and collapses are still heard though now at a less frequent interval. Whatever was happening might be calming down. But, judging by how decrepit the place looks, none of you feel comfortable risking that this place will hold up.

Looking around you see several collapsed stair-cases. However, there is a path to your left that is unobstructed and seems more well lit than the hallway you were just in. Each of you attempts to avoid looking at their flesh.

To the right is a stair case heading up. At the top of the staircase, you notice, there is a sharp right turn.

Obviously, there is also the 30' hallway you had just run down. But you were more interested in escaping captivity than returning to reminisce.

You desperately find yourselves wishing you had been alive enough to remember how you were brought down here.

Spoiler: Mental Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:31:43 am by Nerjin »

Silthuri

• Bay Watcher
  • Having a good ol' time lurking about.
    • View Profile

The bard flexes her hands, trying to get the feeling back in them. She frowns down at them. "Please tell me I'll still be able to play... this whole undead shit is bad enough already." She mumbles. She watches the others run ahead a ways before trotting after them at a relaxed pace.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Lyra runs over to each cell in turn, peering in to them briefly then moving on, then heads down the hallway after the others.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

"Light! I miss the light. Can we go that way?"
The gnome indicates the path to the left.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The masked girl remains deathly silent, but follows where everyone else goes.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Lyra moves to the top of the stairs to the right, stopping before the turn and peering around the corner.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ryurist runs up the stairs and stares around the corner.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rounding the corner the group is greeted with a short hallway. Near the end, on the left, there is a door. You see that there is torchlight shining from underneath it.

Spoiler: Mental Map (click to show/hide)

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Grey Elf girl creeps by the door.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ryurist peeks under the door.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[23] Ryurist sees about two sets of rotten feet shuffling around inside the room. Listening closely [20] you ascertain that whomever is inside is hollowed due to the sounds they make as they walk. [21] You also notice, through extended listening, that there are more than just two hollows in the room. You place their numbers between 3-5.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13