Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how do the new hauling / cart systems work?  (Read 426 times)

superradish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how do the new hauling / cart systems work?
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:57:55 pm »

Been away from the game a while now - how does one get a cart track to run and dump and so forth? How do you get a dwarf to use a wheelbarrow? Thanks in advance!
Tharwen cancels butcher dead animal: interrupted by Zombie Badger

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: how do the new hauling / cart systems work?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:11:02 pm »

Wheelbarrows can be assigned to stockpiles, and are usually automatically assigned to a stockpile. Howevering with Q above a stockpile will allow you to decrease the number of wheelbarrows, maximum 4.

For the minecarts, it's best to check http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Minecart
It's a little complex, but once you get the hang of it, pretty useful.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do the new hauling / cart systems work?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »

Wheelbarrows can be assigned to stockpiles, and are usually automatically assigned to a stockpile. Howevering with Q above a stockpile will allow you to decrease the number of wheelbarrows, maximum 4.

Wheelbarrows can be allocated up to a maximum of 3.  The default number of wheelbarrows in any given stockpile is 0, unless it's a stone stockpile.  For stone stockpiles, the default number of wheelbarrows is 1.

If a stockpile has wheelbarrows assigned and present, then all hauling jobs for moving non-containered items to that stockpile will use a wheelbarrow.  Containers in the stockpile pretty much break the whole thing, so I'd suggest never allowing both bins and wheelbarrows in the same stockpile.

The wiki's wheelbarrow page is pretty good, but it doesn't discuss optimizations or design. And I've just noticed that the stockpile design page doesn't mention them at all... well, now I know what I have to write next.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz