Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My brewer can't see my plants???  (Read 7126 times)

frumpyandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My brewer can't see my plants???
« on: July 30, 2014, 12:17:44 pm »

So this has happened in two forts in a row now (the only forts I've played on 40.05 so far):

I've got my farm going, producing sweet pods in the Spring, cave wheat in the Summer, pig tails in the Autumn, and plump helmets in the Winter. I'm not producing a ton (this fort is only doing a 3x3 plot to start out), but there's a barrel in my food stockpile that's full of those plants (I'm 3 seasons in on this fort so far).

However, my brewer just constantly complains that he needs unrotten DRINK MAT-producing plants.

Are my plants rotting instantly? Can he not see them because the idiots constantly bring the barrel of plants to the new plant at the farm rather than bring the new plant to the barrel in the stockpile? I'm running out of booze and I can sense the unease growing in these dwarves. Please help!

CatButcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My brewer can't see my plants???
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:24:06 pm »

Have you tried de-constructing and rebuilding the still? That worked for me when I had a similar issue in the new version.

frumpyandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:28:30 pm »

Just tried that, and still getting the same complaints. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:35:12 pm »

Is the stockpile linked to anything?  If either the stockpile or still have links to anything, make sure they're linked together or set to accept from anywhere.

Otherwise, it is possible that someone is grabbing the barrel before the brewer tries to, causing cancellation.  Try disabling barrels in the stockpile and see if it helps when new plants are brought in.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:36:29 pm »

However, my brewer just constantly complains that he needs unrotten DRINK MAT-producing plants.

1. Are you using burrows?

2. If all of your plants are in a single barrel, that barrel is probably being TSK'd and hauled around to pick up other plants from the farms, making all of those plants unavailable to your brewer.

3. Are you using linked stockpiles?  If you are linking a plant stockpile to the brewer, you should link a furniture stockpile also with barrels in it.

frumpyandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:43:17 pm »

Thanks, both of you.

I just remade my food stockpile and it didn't help. It's just a regular food stockpile, with seeds forbidden (I keep those close to my farm). No links to anything. This stockpile and the furniture stockpile are both very close to the still.

I'm not using burrows.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 12:45:51 pm by frumpyandy »

frumpyandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 12:52:36 pm »

OK, well I'm not sure what did it, but I kind of have a feeling that one barrel of plants actually got full, so now they're toting ANOTHER barrel of plants around instead. Either way, my brewer seems to have gotten the hang of it now. Thanks for the help all!

frumpyandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19:21 pm »

I may have spoken too soon. The brewer's back to complaining, and now my cook is complaining about not being able to find any non rotten raw food items. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. I'm not using any fancy techniques, just plain stockpiles that hold all food except seeds. The piles aren't linked to anything because they're right next to the workshops that use them.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 01:57:09 pm »

First, disable plants in that giant food stockpile.

Second, make a food stockpile near the still that only takes plants (optional: only brewable plants, but you'll have to toggle each plant by hand for that), and does not allow barrels.  It'll have to be pretty large, because you'll only store one stack of plants per tile.  (There are more complex stockpile designs that can work around this, but I'm describing the simplest one.)

Third, because you probably still have some plants trapped in barrels in the original stockpile (dwarves won't remove them from barrels to place them in the new, no-barrel plant stockpile), you should designate a garbage zone near the new stockpile, and dump all the plants out of the barrels.  Once they're dumped, reclaim them, and let dwarves carry them to the new stockpile.  Then you can remove the garbage zone.

If you want a more powerful design that avoids the stockpile size limit, look into minecart track stop quantum stockpiling.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

frumpyandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 02:10:04 pm »

Thanks for the tip! I've done this. There's now a 5x5 room full of plants hanging out in the open air right next to the still (with all other stockpiles banned from holding plants) and he's still bitching about not having plants. I welcome any further advice but I give up on dwarfing for the day, as I'm on the verge of a fell mood.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 02:50:56 pm »

Press Z and look at the kitchen. Are your plants selected to brew? (Brew will be blue instead of red.)

If you can't get it working, you could always tunnel down to magma, pour it over your dwarves, and start over.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 02:53:32 pm »

Nothing's forbidden, is it?  I have had times where I tried everything but making sure things weren't forbidden.  Double check, just to be sure.  sorry if I sound pedantic; I just know this has happened to me.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

chameau

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2014, 02:54:35 pm »

So this has happened in two forts in a row now (the only forts I've played on 40.05 so far):

I've got my farm going, producing sweet pods in the Spring, cave wheat in the Summer, pig tails in the Autumn, and plump helmets in the Winter. I'm not producing a ton (this fort is only doing a 3x3 plot to start out), but there's a barrel in my food stockpile that's full of those plants (I'm 3 seasons in on this fort so far).

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I started a new fortress I made a big farm like 10x10 just for plump helmets. I never deleted any stockpile or my still. I think it gives that error because of the old products, they are not rotten but it gives error. Try producing huge amount of them and while dwarfs harvest them look to the still quickly, it allows to make it. I' dont know if its a bug or not.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2014, 03:14:12 pm »

If you're still having problems after disabling barrels and removing *all* burrows from the still (yes, even inactive burrows), then please post a save to bug #7447 on the bug tracker.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 06:37:56 pm »

First, disable plants in that giant food stockpile.

Second, make a food stockpile near the still that only takes plants (optional: only brewable plants, but you'll have to toggle each plant by hand for that), and does not allow barrels.  It'll have to be pretty large, because you'll only store one stack of plants per tile.  (There are more complex stockpile designs that can work around this, but I'm describing the simplest one.)

Third, because you probably still have some plants trapped in barrels in the original stockpile (dwarves won't remove them from barrels to place them in the new, no-barrel plant stockpile), you should designate a garbage zone near the new stockpile, and dump all the plants out of the barrels.  Once they're dumped, reclaim them, and let dwarves carry them to the new stockpile.  Then you can remove the garbage zone.

If you want a more powerful design that avoids the stockpile size limit, look into minecart track stop quantum stockpiling.
Alternatively you can set up a "feeder" stockpile. What you want to do is make a small stockpile right next to your large plant stockpile (usually I just use a 1-wide strip in the edge of the food stockpile room). Set that stockpile to not use any barrels at all. Then go to the large stockpile and tell it to only take from links and to take from your small feeder stockpile. The end result should be that dwarves carry plants individually to the feeder stockpile, then pick up the barrel and carry it only a few squares to clean the feeder stockpile up before putting it back. It will still generate the rare error message, but it doesn't really require any serious work or extra space to set up and will remove something like 98% of the times the message shows up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: [1] 2