Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortificaitons and discipline  (Read 841 times)

CatButcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortificaitons and discipline
« on: July 30, 2014, 11:59:07 am »

Hello,
    Does anybody know if a Dwarf on the other side of a fortification will become horrified if he shoots something on the other side? 
I was hoping/wondering if that would  prevent horrification due to the fortification in between him and his grisly kill.  This would be nice,
 otherwise my preferred fortifications - archer towers and ballista - will need to be replaced with cave-in traps.  I was just wondering if
anyone had had a direct experience with this.

ChuckWeiss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortificaitons and discipline
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 12:21:05 pm »

AfaIk, a fortification (or any intervening obstacle that doesn't block sight) will not change the dwarves behavior. Make sure your military dwarves see lots of death and you shouldn't have any problems though.
When he dies for the Mountain, the Mountain will weep not tears, but Blood for the Blood God!

CatButcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:23:00 pm »

I wonder if I could lock them in a room and drop cattle in from a great height, if that would train them well enough.

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:34:53 pm »

I think that dropping cats from a high place into the meeting hall should work.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:43:00 pm »

Slightly unrelated but will civilian siege operators with high discipline still run from threats??

If not this will make siege engines marginally more useful.  I envision crippled war veterans manning the ballista.

CatButcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:46:48 pm »

I think that dropping cats from a high place into the meeting hall should work.

Or Nobles!

Calathar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 04:11:48 pm »

I had a werecamel behind a wall of fortifications, and dwarves were running away from it.

Better to assign your marksdwarves to an armor stand to train - discipline increases pretty quickly.  In my current fort, I have a squad of marksdwarves that train on an armor stand (Individual Combat Training, nothing else) for discipline, and go to the archery range when training bolts are available.