Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to smelt ore, all in red  (Read 509 times)

Dan Duncombe

• Bay Watcher
  • DwarfCorp, Established Since 24!
    • View Profile
Trying to smelt ore, all in red
« on: July 30, 2014, 10:26:43 am »

All of the options are in red when using a smelter, although I do have 2 dwarves with furnace operator labour enabled. I have bituminous coal, and magnetite to smelt, so I don't know what the problem is.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Trying to smelt ore, all in red
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:26:01 am »

Do you have charcoal/coke fuel available? Bituminous coal and lignite are not directly usable as fuel and must first be "smelted" into coke, which itself requires either charcoal or coke.

Is the smelter located within a burrow?

Is the smelter linked to one or more stockpiles? If so, do those stockpiles contain the ores and fuel?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Bki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:33:16 am »

Is the smelter linked to one or more stockpiles? If so, do those stockpiles contain the ores and fuel?

From my experience (though it was pre 0.40.05, so it might actually have been fixed, but I didn't see it in the changes, so I doubt it), if you link a smelter to a stockpile, ores that aren't stored there will still show up in white. Of course, if you take the job, it will fail due to lack of materials, but that's a different problem.

The same happen with the jeweller workshop, but for a kiln, only jobs for which you have the material in linked stockpile show up as available.

Dan Duncombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:38:53 am »

Do you have charcoal/coke fuel available? Bituminous coal and lignite are not directly usable as fuel and must first be "smelted" into coke, which itself requires either charcoal or coke
Ah, I think that must be the problem! Slight issue there... I have no wood to make charcoal with.

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:13:42 pm »

Do you have charcoal/coke fuel available? Bituminous coal and lignite are not directly usable as fuel and must first be "smelted" into coke, which itself requires either charcoal or coke
Ah, I think that must be the problem! Slight issue there... I have no wood to make charcoal with.

You can chop down trees in the caverns, or buy wood (or coke) from a caravan.

Dan Duncombe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 12:24:33 pm »

You can chop down trees in the caverns, or buy wood (or coke) from a caravan.
Thanks, I had forgotten about that!