Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Give mundane creatures and plants sphere alignments.  (Read 1113 times)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Give mundane creatures and plants sphere alignments.
« on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:01 am »

There's going to be sphere aligned enviroments at some point, and I think it would make sense for mundane creatures and plants to have sphere alignments and to use this to weight them as preferential creature for a sphere aligned enviroment.

This way, a death aligned enviroment would have carion birds, like ravens, or yew trees.

A fire aligned area could have only red flowered fruits, or primarily peppers and red-coloured creatures.

It could be raw based, raw->percentage based(a given plant have 10% plant sphere weight or something), or completely random.

Primarily, I think it would help the overabundance that seems to take place now, especially with the many new plants and trees, which, if biome compatible, sprout everywhere within that biome.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
Re: Give mundane creatures and plants sphere alignments.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:18:19 am »

There's going to be sphere aligned enviroments at some point, and I think it would make sense for mundane creatures and plants to have sphere alignments and to use this to weight them as preferential creature for a sphere aligned enviroment.

This way, a death aligned enviroment would have carion birds, like ravens, or yew trees.

A fire aligned area could have only red flowered fruits, or primarily peppers and red-coloured creatures.

It could be raw based, raw->percentage based(a given plant have 10% plant sphere weight or something), or completely random.

Primarily, I think it would help the overabundance that seems to take place now, especially with the many new plants and trees, which, if biome compatible, sprout everywhere within that biome.
Yes, I very much agree with this idea.  The Sphere alignments can basically replace FREQUENCY for placement.  The biomes themselves will have varying levels of alignment with the Spheres (much like evilness and savageness now), so the sum of (creature alignment) * (biome alignment) across all Spheres becomes the creature's relative frequency in that biome.

[CREATURE:THING_THAT_GOES_BUMP_IN_THE_NIGHT]
    [SPHERE:CAVERNS:20]
    [SPHERE:DARKNESS:75]
    [SPHERE:DREAMS:10]
    [SPHERE:NIGHT:100]
    [SPHERE:NIGHTMARES:100]
    [SPHERE:THUNDER:1]
    [SPHERE:TRICKERY:50]
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 09:30:38 am »

I'm not particularly enamored with the idea of outright sphere alignments - that, to me, would make the mundane creatures/plants supernatural. I'd rather have a way to "tag" creatures for potential modification by "scripts"/the exe. Having percentages is a step in the right direction, there, but right now I'm blanking on other tagging methods.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:34:58 pm »

I'm not particularly enamored with the idea of outright sphere alignments - that, to me, would make the mundane creatures/plants supernatural. I'd rather have a way to "tag" creatures for potential modification by "scripts"/the exe. Having percentages is a step in the right direction, there, but right now I'm blanking on other tagging methods.
There is room for both ideas.  The example I had above wasn't really a mundane creature, but it's certainly a good idea to flavor the mundane creatures according to a region's Spheres.  A biome associated with THUNDER should be more likely to have eagles (thunderbirds) than owls, and a biome associated with WISDOM should be more likely to have owls than eagles.  Some Spheres (like ANIMALS) will have a nearly uniform effect on all mundane creatures, effectively drawing or crowding out the fantasy creatures.

On the other hand, a richer variety of CREATURE_VARIATIONs could really up the variety.  Then you can have diseased wolves, trickster beavers, and dancing hippos.

The main unknown is if there will be any "normal" places at all, or if every biome will be associated with one or more Spheres.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 06:58:18 pm »

On the other hand, a richer variety of CREATURE_VARIATIONs could really up the variety.  Then you can have diseased wolves, trickster beavers, and dancing hippos.

The old consolidated dev list mentions randomly generated critters for these sites, but it also mentions introducing players slowly to generated critters. Such as the titans and bogeymen right now. Examples that were given were singing stones and bleeding trees, so that fits in with those dancing hippos.

Especially because it seems that sphere alignment is supossed to be fluid. So a necromancer tower will have an aura of death around it, aligning the lands surrounding it with death-related things. Not to mention what a titan would do...

But, yeah, it shouldn't be a frozen definition, I prefer the percentage system as well, because sometimes, Ravens can be at a singing ocean, desperately trying to sing along.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 09:18:45 pm »

Examples that were given were singing stones and bleeding trees, so that fits in with those dancing hippos.
So what can a stone sing to console a tree that's been trampled and bleeding from being danced on by hippos?

While I think the system we've described so far would go a long way toward making Sphere-appropriate wildlife, even further in the future we're supposed to get procedurally generated metaphysics.  This might even mean procedurally-generated Spheres or Sphere relations, so whatever system does get built should allow for tweaks to the associations listed in the raws.  The tweaks will be nada for the foreseeable future, but things will just work when the metaphysics get even weirder than they are now.

In a world where the Red Moon God is associated with magma and fearlessness, it would justify tweaking the Sphere alignments of anything "fearless" to appear in MOON-aligned biomes.  Or even RED MOON-aligned biomes if the Spheres themselves are generated for each world.
Just got back, updating:

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 12:04:25 pm »

Maybe it's an idea to have sphere alignments 'bleed over' into related sphere?

A raven associated with death is tied to a wisdom god. Now the raven has a bleed-over alignment to the sphere wisdom.

A world generates a red moon god, associated with magma and fearlessness, now all creatures associated with magma have a bleed-over alignment to moon.

The bleed-over alignment would be significantly lower than any other alignments. Like, 10% at max or something, but it would still be an automatic alignment.