Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange incident killing my weaponsmith  (Read 1733 times)

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange incident killing my weaponsmith
« on: July 30, 2014, 07:50:41 am »

I tried to built a prison out of lead. Unfortunately, chaining goblins did not work. The first goblin escaped, created panic all over the place. My legendary weaponsmith fired a bolt at the goblin, missed him, and hit a military dwarf. Now my military not only fought the goblin but also fought the weaponsmith, who eventually was strangeld to death by a recruit in a hospital bed.

What happened here? At no point the weaponsmith was listed as enemy of my dwarfes. The legends do not reveal anything in addition (just erist was slain by recruit urist).

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange incident killing my weaponsmith
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 11:01:32 am »

If you are moving enemy sentients from a cage, always, always make sure they are at most 1 tile away from the goal (pit, rope, whatever). A dwarf attacking another dwarf, even by mistake, will usually start a loyalty cascade. You're lucky only one weaponsmith fell to it, by all rights whoever killed the weaponsmith should've been next, and so on.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Faction#Loyalty_cascade
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:03:43 am by Gukag »

RedSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 11:20:51 am »

I had a loyalty cascade in my fort. In my case i was just stupid and ordered a squad of dwarfs to take down a insane dwarf that failed to make his artifact item. Everything went downhill pretty fast from there in that fort. It's a scary thought that one misfired bolt from Urist Mcmarksdwarf could bring down a fort aswell though.  :o

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:56:04 pm »

If you are moving enemy sentients from a cage, always, always make sure they are at most 1 tile away from the goal (pit, rope, whatever).
The goblin was in a cage that was build right next to the chain. The goblin still escaped.

A dwarf attacking another dwarf, even by mistake, will usually start a loyalty cascade. You're lucky only one weaponsmith fell to it, by all rights whoever killed the weaponsmith should've been next, and so on.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Faction#Loyalty_cascade
No cascade appeared. It was even the second incident of this type, this first did also not trigger any loyalty issues.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 12:58:24 pm »

Goblin thieves/snatchers are slippery customers. IIRC, unlike their military brethren they can give whoever is "handling" them the slip. Was the gobbo in question a thief/snatcher by any chance?
This is a blank sig.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:00:47 pm »

I have never seen a bolt hit anything but the target it was intended for. If stray bolts can hit unintended targets now, it would be an awesome new addition to realism, as long as it does not result in a complete loyalty cascade. I hope someone can replicate and confirm.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 01:19:59 pm »

It seems it does not depend on any fired bolt. Tried the same thing with the third goblin: Build chain right next to the cage. Stationed my military there. Metalcrafter takes goblin out of cage to put him on restraint: Both goblin and metalcrafter are killed by the military. The metalcrafter did not do any combat moves that may have hit the military dwarves. Instead it seems the military considered him being an enemy right away  ??? (It was an ordinary goblin lasher, no thieve).

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 01:22:46 pm »

Sounds like whoever is guiding an enemy somehow "inherits" their enemy status, which seems new to the most recent .40 version. Can anyone else replicate this?
This is a blank sig.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:19:40 pm »

Confirmed, replicated. Don't remember this bug in past versions, has to be new from 40.01 onwards.

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 05:41:03 pm »

It's not a bug! It's a feature!

-Urist McBadluck, gets the goblin out of the cage and throw him into the pit.
-Ok.
*Takes goblin out of the cage*
*Overzealous Militia passing by see him*
-A TRAITOR IS HELPING THE PRISONERS TO ESCAPE! KILL HIM!
*in doubt, kill everyone in a 100 urists radius.*

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 12:15:33 pm »

I have never seen a bolt hit anything but the target it was intended for. If stray bolts can hit unintended targets now, it would be an awesome new addition to realism, as long as it does not result in a complete loyalty cascade. I hope someone can replicate and confirm.

I'm not sure about 0.40, but in 0.34 there was definitely no "friendly fire".  That is, stray bolts fired by one of your dwarves could not hit another one of your dwarves.  But they could hit a different enemy than the one who was initially targeted.

Confirmed, replicated. Don't remember this bug in past versions, has to be new from 40.01 onwards.

Which part did you replicate?  The caged goblin attacking the dwarf who's releasing him, or crossbow friendly fire?

What, exactly, do you consider a "bug" here?  Just because something changes doesn't always mean it's a bug.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 12:17:14 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 01:12:11 pm »

Goblin prisoners hauled around by civilians make the military attack the civilians. Once the hauling is finished, if nobody has noticed, nothing bad happens.

Not exactly intended behavior.