Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Fixed] No Migrants  (Read 634 times)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
[Fixed] No Migrants
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:34:33 pm »

I think a few people had this issue several patches ago but it's hitting me pretty hard now. I have received no migrants at all, and it's already spring of my second year. I have received the proper caravans, including from my dwarven mountainhome, but no further reinforcements to swell my ranks.

I didn't even get the supposed 'hard-coded' waves. It's really beginning to get me down, since I've got at least a dozen labors enabled on each dwarf under my command right now, and they're all slowly becoming masters of twelve or thirteen different trades to sustain trade, defense, and productivity in my fort.

Does anyone know how I can fix this, or is it a programming bug?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 11:30:26 pm by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Gnomeknows

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No Migrants
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:39:41 pm »

Are you using the LNP 40.05 r1?  It had an issue with the d_init file for migrants, its fixed in r2.
In fact, we should really say, that beards are born with babies.  Since beards are sentient it is quite possible they style themselves or even that they grow styled.
I'm totally convinced dwarven babies are born with beards. How those get braided, combed or shaved before birth is one of the arcane dwarven mysteries.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:57:35 pm »

I'm not using any mods. I'm planning not to until Toady has a finalized stable release and DFHack updates to the latest version.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:01:29 pm »

Does your d_init.txt have a [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP] token? If it's absent, it treats it as if still existing and set to zero, which completely removes immigrant arrivals (and births)

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:04:55 pm »

The initialization file doesn't have that. I've been copying and pasting my init files from release to release from 40.01 until now. What would I have to add to fix that?

LarsGerhard

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYTHING IS FINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:10:40 pm »

The initialization file doesn't have that. I've been copying and pasting my init files from release to release from 40.01 until now. What would I have to add to fix that?

[STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:X] where x is whatever number you want the fortress to be strictly* limited to.

*Preventing migrant waves (aside from stuff like the king coming) from bringing you over the number even if you were below it beforehand without requiring any ingame stuff like caravans leaving. It also prevents births from having you exceed the number.

Also you probably don't want to do that with inits without first checking whether anything has been added.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14:32 pm »

Yeah, probably not.

So long as nothing broke, I assumed it was fine. Ah well.