Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Snake Fortress: A learning project  (Read 2779 times)

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Snake Fortress: A learning project
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:30 am »

A creature speed helper text file by me, with real-world animal speeds: helps you decide the walk swim crawl speeds for your lizardmanly race.
"DF_" names are vanilla DF speeds.
burst means short term top speed, and apparently Toady uses that one (human burst 39 kph, human sustained 8.8-18 kph)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Burst imho is appropriate, because dwarves can't regularly move at that speed. I've noticed they're much faster running away from things than they are just going places. In adventure mode you  can sprint and jump and things, but if you do you become tired, then over-exerted, then fall down and pass out.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 11:44:18 am »

It is good that when 20 dorfs chase a fast wildlife around and around, wildlife gets exhausted and dorfs get deer sausages. Guess some of our dorfs will get over-exerted as different rates, so that's important in combat and chase-hunting.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ViolinAnon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2014, 08:29:55 pm »

Alright, so I just had some free time to continue working on the mod and started making the Creature RAWs for the nagas. (Which is what I decided to go for, for the name. Not very original, but it's what they are, so... Yeah)
I just copied the code from the Dwarf entry and changed what I thought I needed to change. Here's what it looks like at the moment:
Spoiler: Warning, wall of code (click to show/hide)

Now, there's a few things in there that I'm not quite sure about the way of changing them. First, there's the skin, which I want to change to scales. Next I want to remove all hair from their bodies, and maybe change the hairstyles to ridges if it's not too much work.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:44:51 pm by ViolinAnon »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 08:41:52 pm »

Just a recommendation for the future: try using the code tags instead of spoilers, as it helps with clutter. You can also put code inside of spoilers, but not the other way around. Codes stop any actual codes from working, so it also helps when posting creature files, as a [LEFT ] or [RIGHT ] token can alter your text.

Now, to change skin to scales and remove hair, you can add these tags below [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]
Code: [Select]
[REMOVE_MATERIAL:SKIN]
 [REMOVE_MATERIAL:LEATHER]
 [REMOVE_MATERIAL:HAIR]
 [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]

And these underneath [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_TISSUES]
[REMOVE_TISSUE:SKIN]
 [REMOVE_TISSUE:HAIR]
 [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SCALE:SCALE_TEMPLATE]

Then change this
  [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SKIN:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]To this
  [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:VERTEBRATE_TISSUE_LAYERS:SCALE:FAT:MUSCLE:BONE:CARTILAGE]
This is how it is done for vanilla reptiles such as crocodiles. To finish removing hair, you should remove various tags such as these below, and the various SET_TL_GROUP tags which give hair stylings and colours.
   [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:HEAD_HAIR_TISSUE_LAYERS]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:EYEBROW:EYEBROW_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:EYEBROW:ABOVE:BY_CATEGORY:EYE]
   [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:EYELASH:EYELASH_TEMPLATE]
   [TISSUE_LAYER:BY_CATEGORY:EYELID:EYELASH:FRONT]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:FACIAL_HAIR_TISSUES]

You will also want to change skin modifiers from SKIN to SCALE.

ViolinAnon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 11:02:06 pm »

Thanks for the tips, I edited my previous post to add the code tags in the spoiler ones.
I also made the changes you describe, as well as altered the set of possible colors for the scales. (Replacing the list that was only composed of various skin colors, this one also has more colors to it; like shades of green, red and blue)

I do believe that I'm done with the main parts of those RAWs, and that I can move on to changing one or two tags in the Rattlesnake entry (To make them pets and vermin hunters) before adding in the new weapon (glaive) and new piece of armor (barding).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2014, 12:04:18 am »

Just want to throw out there, though I'm not sure if it still applies with how necks were restructured, I noticed my scaly guys were not getting lethal throat wounds a few months back.

I ended up realizing that the [TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES] tag was being applied to skin materiel on the throat that does not exist and not throwing an error.  You may want to change
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
[PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SKIN:BY_CATEGORY:THROAT]
[TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
to
[SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:HEART:BY_CATEGORY:HEART]
[PLUS_TISSUE_LAYER:SCALE:BY_CATEGORY:THROAT]
[TL_MAJOR_ARTERIES]
Or they can take lethal throat wounds without dying.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ViolinAnon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 01:59:56 am »

Thanks Greiger, I made the changes you posted. It would have been pretty awkward to see the nagas just run around with their throat wide open, but not really caring about it.

As of now, I moved to the new items. Making the glaive was pretty easy.
[NAME:glaive:glaives]
[SIZE:1200]
[SKILL:SPEAR]
[TWO_HANDED:77500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:62500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:4]
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:8000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1300]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:6000:bash:bashes:shaft:1200]
Although, I'm not 100% sure of what the numbers do exactly, gameplay wise.
I know its the contact area and the penetration area, but how do those numbers affect the combat? Are higher numbers better? I'm assuming they just mean different things, like how wider contact area makes you chop limbs off easier, but makes it harder to penetrate armor.

Next, I got stuck on the armor. I decided that it would make sense for them to use both metal skirts and barding to protect themselves in combat, while civilians would only have cloth/leather skirts. But I'm not quite sure of how I could restrict the use of barding to nagas and prevent other civilizations from using them.

Finally, I thought that splitting up the lower body and tail might make more sense, the lower body would be the area between the waist and somewhere a little down the crotch, while the tail would be everything down from there. I just wanted to have some inputs on the idea before I went for it. Would it cause complications? Or maybe help with the armor situation (by making skirts protect the lower body and barding protect the tail)?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 02:16:43 am »

Higher isn't always better for contact area, since smaller areas focus the force better. Though low-contact attacks are also less likely to sever parts. Can't think of any reasons for wanting a low penetration instead of a high one though.

If you use the stance-tail, then the barding will have to be a type of shoe to be worn on the tail. If it is the regular tail that is not used for standing, then a skirt with an [LBSTEP:#] token set to at least one may protect the tail.

Weapons, armour/clothing, and a few other things are added as permissions to an entity in the raws, so you won't need to worry to much about other civilizations using your equipment.

I can't think of any issues with using a stanced tail instead of having the lower body double as a tail though.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 07:57:53 am »

Have you thought about castes? A venomous caste, one that can camouflage, one that is amphibious, one with a rattle-snake tail that creates fear in the opponent...
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 08:13:21 am »

As of now, I moved to the new items. Making the glaive was pretty easy.
[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:8000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1300]
I recommend that polearms be slower than 3:3. (punch, sword are 3:3, vanilla kick is 4:4). Maybe a 4:5 or even 4:6 on long deadly polearms. A spear should be quicker than a sweeping-slash polearm.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ViolinAnon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 12:58:43 pm »

Have you thought about castes? A venomous caste, one that can camouflage, one that is amphibious, one with a rattle-snake tail that creates fear in the opponent...
I briefly thought about it, but it I'd rather just make more type of nagas instead (Maybe with different names), that start in different locations, so that depending on what biome you start in, you'll play a different sort of snake people.
I recommend that polearms be slower than 3:3. (punch, sword are 3:3, vanilla kick is 4:4). Maybe a 4:5 or even 4:6 on long deadly polearms. A spear should be quicker than a sweeping-slash polearm.
Actually, all weapons in vanilla are 3:3, not just swords. So I decided to just leave it like that to keep the balance there.
Pages: 1 [2]