Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dumping Occupied Cages Possible?  (Read 516 times)

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dumping Occupied Cages Possible?
« on: July 29, 2014, 05:08:21 pm »

In my current fortress I cannot seem to dump any of my occupied cages. I have a stockpile with 10-20 cages in it that are all occupied (bears, elves, goblins, etc.) and my dwarves refuse to take any of the cages and dump them into my training pit. Has anyone else been experiencing problems dumping cages? I have never had this problem before and cannot seem to find anything on the boards or bug tracker in my search.

~Backlands~

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dumping Occupied Cages Possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:24:38 pm »

I dont think could ever issue a dump command on the cages to get captives droped into a training area.  dong so would just drop the occupied cage into the area but not release the prisoner.  I recommend looking up mass pitting.  Just be careful as there seems to be a warning on the wiki about some hostiles escaping during the process where they didnt in the last version.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 06:03:50 pm »

Are the cages outside? If you don't have the "collect refuse from outside" order turned on then dwarves won't dump things that are outside.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

backlands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 06:48:06 pm »

I dont think could ever issue a dump command on the cages to get captives droped into a training area.  dong so would just drop the occupied cage into the area but not release the prisoner.  I recommend looking up mass pitting.  Just be careful as there seems to be a warning on the wiki about some hostiles escaping during the process where they didnt in the last version.

I want them to drop the entire cage (not just pit the creature), its falling far enough that it ill break the cage and cripple or kill the specimen (more likely to drown first).

Are the cages outside? If you don't have the "collect refuse from outside" order turned on then dwarves won't dump things that are outside.

Initially the stockpile that the cages were held in was outside before I built the ceiling but now that it is inside the dwarves still refuse to carry out any dump command placed on the cage.