Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon traps blocking caravan access intended, or should I put this on mantis?  (Read 1610 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I just found a human caravan still in the trade depot, even though they were supposed to have left a dwarfmonth ago.
I thought my constructed ramps got corrupted, and pathing broke, since I read some people were having trouble with that.
After closer inspection though, it turned out that weapon traps now block wagon access.

Is this a new mechanic, or a bug? They never did before, I've always had my trade depot behind a corridor of traps, but it seems that has become impossible now.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

It's intended, and has been around since one of the 34.x versions IIRC. The general way that it used to be countered was to have a serpentine path clear of traps and a shorter path filled with them. The goblins would take the shorter path while the caravans were fine with the longer, safer one. Alternatively just use a bridge to toggle on and off access.

That said in the latest version it seems like traps got severely nerfed since faster moving creatures can get off the tile before the trap actually hits them (due to attacks taking time). It seems like there will need to be quite a bit of fortress defense rethinking before we figure out how best to defend them again.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

It's intended, and has been around since one of the 34.x versions IIRC. The general way that it used to be countered was to have a serpentine path clear of traps and a shorter path filled with them. The goblins would take the shorter path while the caravans were fine with the longer, safer one. Alternatively just use a bridge to toggle on and off access.

That said in the latest version it seems like traps got severely nerfed since faster moving creatures can get off the tile before the trap actually hits them (due to attacks taking time). It seems like there will need to be quite a bit of fortress defense rethinking before we figure out how best to defend them again.

Do cage traps have a attack time too, or are those instant? And what about pressure plates?

I used to make trap pit entrances, with pressure plates in front of a bridge over a deep pit, the bridge being long enough for creatures not making it across within the pressure plate response time. Perhaps I'll need to go back to that design.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:14:46 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile

Weapon traps have the [ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:x:x] tag, which is what makes their responses delayed.  Cage traps still don't have this iirc.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wagons cannot pass over weapon traps, cage traps, stone-fall traps, or other sorts of traps.

Traders can still show up with packmules even if the wagons can't make it to your depot. They will carry fewer items with a packmule than they can carry with wagons, but packmules can cross weapon traps just fine.

Wagons also cannot go up/down stairs or fit through narrow doors, but packmules can.

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Been this way since i first started in 31 iirc (actually were wagons implented then? dont remember).  Plenty of designs around here and on the wiki to help you create a safe depot.  I used to build an airlock system with a little bunker w/underground access.  I dont use traps anymore however.  dwarven steel is best defense.   

Also wagons only bring marginally more stuff than pack animals imo.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions

Traps started blocking wagons in version 0.34.08 when minecarts were added - prior to that version, wagons could freely move across traps. Wagons never appeared in any of the 0.31 releases due to a bug that Toady introduced in 0.31.01 and didn't fix until 0.34.02 (but which had a binary patch in 0.31.25).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile

That was one of reasons I haven't played .34.08 or newer 0.34.xx for serious. I didn't know/remember about the wagon-only entrances then. Now I use them so I can use traps too, without alternative way, barring flyers.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile

cage traps appear to be instant. I had a giant cave spider wander into my fort and got caught by the first cage trap there.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.