Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ramp Pathfinding  (Read 857 times)

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ramp Pathfinding
« on: July 29, 2014, 01:20:00 pm »

Does pathfinding through ramps in Fortress Mode seem a little broken to anyone? I decided to use ramps instead of stairs in my fortress this time, but after about 3 or 4 levels of ramps, my miners wouldn't take the dig designations anymore. They wouldn't cancel them or actually dig. They just sat with the "No Job" status for weeks. Also, I set a shortcut from my surface level wood stockpile to my -5z smelting operations so they could get to the wood faster, but they refuse to use it, even when it is set to high traffic designation.  Frankly, I'm a bit stumped. :-\
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Ramp Pathfinding
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:23 pm »

I can only think of 2 reasons.

1) you dug the ramps wrongly. At the bottom, a ramp must be adjecent to a wall, in the direction of travel
2) you are using burrow restrictions
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 01:30:51 pm »

Broken ramp pathfinding has been reported as bug #7412.

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:52:10 pm »

Thanks for the info, didn't know this was an actual bug.
Guys I don't think we want to mess with using dwarves as fusion material here. Be careful.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:25:28 pm »

Broken ramp pathfinding has been reported as bug #7412.

My fort is 11 years old now. All ramps on soil levels are constructed ramps, some ramps on the stone levels too. All pathing still works fine. Guess I'm lucky.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12179-armtorch

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 04:56:41 pm »

Well crap

**** you, Murphy, for invoking your law.

Just loaded the save for the first time after posting the previous reply. And now my very topmost entrance ramps to the fort stopped working

It's not the ramps in my case. It seems weapon traps block caravan access now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:00:52 pm by martinuzz »

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 05:29:33 pm »

[/s]It's not the ramps in my case. It seems weapon traps block caravan access now.
Weapon traps blocked caravan access in the last version as well so thats not new.

CancerousCthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 05:30:28 pm »

Well crap

**** you, Murphy, for invoking your law.

Just loaded the save for the first time after posting the previous reply. And now my very topmost entrance ramps to the fort stopped working

It's not the ramps in my case. It seems weapon traps block caravan access now.

Yeah, when I came back after a little (at least half a year) break from DF, traps blocked caravan access. I thought I was going to cry at first haha.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 05:50:42 pm »

I did play df 2012, but that fortress depended on the 'flood the surface with magma' defense doctrine. So I never used traps there, and never noticed this until now.

peterb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 10:22:40 pm »

Seems to me that ramps are bugged in 40.05 in a way that they're not in 40.04.  I have dwarves whose pathfinding is completely broken just because there's a single dirt ramp somewhere between them and their target.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 10:56:12 pm »

Seems to me that ramps are bugged in 40.05 in a way that they're not in 40.04.  I have dwarves whose pathfinding is completely broken just because there's a single dirt ramp somewhere between them and their target.

Might have something to do with the recent fix of 000599, whose root cause was a pathfinding error involving ramps.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.