Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My miners refuse to mine.  (Read 1765 times)

Mouthwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My miners refuse to mine.
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:33:07 pm »

I'm trying to make an underground meeting area. I've built stairways down two levels, but my dwarves refuse to dig out the chamber, or anything else, for that matter. I haven't changed anything, and I know that at least two of my dwarves have mining enabled. None are assigned to burrows. They just don't do it. I've tried saving and reloading.

Also, how do I see what my dwarves are carrying? One dwarf went out by the river, carrying something, and another dwarf followed, with a blinking question mark over the second. The first dwarf collected something green and put it in the stockpile, but I don't see anything new.

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My miners refuse to mine.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:53:48 pm »

Could your mining dwarf/dwarves be on break, maybe?

Press "v" and move the cursor over a dwarf, and press "i" (I think it's i, there will be an option to see their inventory) to see everything on the dwarf. It sounds like a dwarf fished up a turtle and put it in the stockpile.

Mouthwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57:16 pm »

How do I check?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:58:08 pm »

How do I check?

"u" Really, just mash all the buttons on the keyboard to find out what they do. That's my usual strategy with most anything.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Urist McDworf

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute until proven guilty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:34 pm »

Did you make sure to designate the area to be mined next to the existing stairs? (Designating the "rough hewn ___ wall" in between the area you want dug and what has already been dug). This is very likely since the dwarves won't mine an area unless you have designated a path to be mined to that spot. It's something that got me a lot at first (and even now sometimes) since it is easy to forget.

Mouthwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 02:38:08 am »

Did you make sure to designate the area to be mined next to the existing stairs? (Designating the "rough hewn ___ wall" in between the area you want dug and what has already been dug). This is very likely since the dwarves won't mine an area unless you have designated a path to be mined to that spot. It's something that got me a lot at first (and even now sometimes) since it is easy to forget.

Yep.

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 02:56:42 am »

Did you designate up stairs on the tiles directly below your down stairs?

Mouthwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »

Did you designate up stairs on the tiles directly below your down stairs?

Yes.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 09:59:30 pm »

If you're still unable to figure it out, upload a copy of your savegame to DFFD (ideally with [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO] and then properly compressed with 7-Zip) and someone here will probably be able to tell you what's wrong and how to fix it.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mouthwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 10:09:04 pm »

If you're still unable to figure it out, upload a copy of your savegame to DFFD (ideally with [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO] and then properly compressed with 7-Zip) and someone here will probably be able to tell you what's wrong and how to fix it.

How do I do that? Where do I find the save files?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 10:40:30 pm »

The save is located in your data/save folder within the main DF folder and then just go here and upload it. I think you might need to make an account before it will let you upload anything, but it's free.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mouthwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 11:07:24 pm »

The save is located in your data/save folder within the main DF folder and then just go here and upload it. I think you might need to make an account before it will let you upload anything, but it's free.

I don't have a DF folder. I just have the application in documents. The only thing I can do is open it and play.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 11:12:50 pm »

You have a DF folder somewhere, I can assure you of that. Did you download DF as part of a package (such as lazy newb pack, etc.)? Also I'd probably check your Downloads folder if you haven't already.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Mouthwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 11:22:07 pm »

You have a DF folder somewhere, I can assure you of that. Did you download DF as part of a package (such as lazy newb pack, etc.)? Also I'd probably check your Downloads folder if you haven't already.

No, I just downloaded it from the site. What should I look for in Downloads? I see the DF application there, but nothing that looks like a save.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2014, 03:42:40 am »

In the same folder that contains the DwarfFortress.exe you will find a folder labelled 'data', inside that is another labelled 'save'.  Inside this save folder will be another raft of folders labelled region1, region2 etc etc (unless you name your regions at world gen).  The entirety of this region folder is considered your save as it contains the data representing your stored game's state along with a copy of the RAWs the world was created/runs with.  So in all likelyhood you are looking for a folder called 'region1'.

As example:  My DF is in downloads, so i flick through to DF_Phoebus_40_05, inside that is the executable and all the other files that make the game work, including my data folder with it's nested saves.  In the unlikely event that your executable is lying loose in your download folder then it's possible I guess that you managed to unzip the game into that directory rather than to a folder within it, in which case the data folder will be somewhere in downloads
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:46:14 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.
Pages: [1] 2