Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dorfs start every targeted assassination by running to the bedroom?  (Read 1083 times)

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The option to "kill" a specific/designated monster was always a little dodgy (every time they kill one they go off alert and then you have to re-draft them and make them sadder.  And they always say they "can't reach target" for anything that flies, though in .03 or something I think they tracked them OK).  But now it seems well nigh unusable, because every time I specify a monster to kill they run away to the bedrooms.  Is this a bug or a ... feature?  Is there some clever thing I'm not doing?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Dorfs start every targeted assassination by running to the bedroom?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:10:38 pm »

Your dwarves are either storing something in the bedroom or picking something up. Try checking their equipment before and after.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 06:28:25 pm »

If you want to kill multiple things without your dwarves going back to civilian life, you should set the squad to an alert level where they are on duty.  Then when the kill order expires they will revert to being on duty, rather than civilian life, and you will control the number of unhappy thoughts they get.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 07:33:31 pm »

Your dwarves are either storing something in the bedroom or picking something up. Try checking their equipment before and after.
on that note, are they always in active/training mode before you issue this order?  if not then you need to set their equipment to replace clothes on the military screen or they will have to run and get their equipment every time you activate the squad by giving it an order?
(but yes they can be pretty dumb about kill orders sometimes, most reliable method in my experience is to use stations to get wherever you need to go, in the case of melee dwarves they'll just chase down whatever gets close enough, for marksdwarves use kill orders when they're in range and the AI seems to work ok)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 02:09:56 am »

on that note, are they always in active/training mode before you issue this order?  if not then you need to set their equipment to replace clothes on the military screen or they will have to run and get their equipment every time you activate the squad by giving it an order?
(but yes they can be pretty dumb about kill orders sometimes, most reliable method in my experience is to use stations to get wherever you need to go, in the case of melee dwarves they'll just chase down whatever gets close enough, for marksdwarves use kill orders when they're in range and the AI seems to work ok)

Pretty sure thats not what replace clothing does.
My dwarves will be perfectly happy to replace their clothes with armor when I give them an order, then be content to strip naked from their armor when they are done, as that option will make it so they no longer have their clothes on under the armor.
I think what you really want to do is go to schedule, and make sure inactive = uniformed (I think its that way by default)
Though one thing is for certain, if there's anything that the dwarves will ignore you with, its anything related to equipping armor and weapons.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 12:43:47 pm »

If you want to kill multiple things without your dwarves going back to civilian life, you should set the squad to an alert level where they are on duty.  Then when the kill order expires they will revert to being on duty, rather than civilian life, and you will control the number of unhappy thoughts they get.

You can also tell them to kill more than one thing.  Within the kill order, there's an option to select targets from a list, or from a rectangle.  If you choose list, then each possible target is given a lower case letter.  (You may have to scroll the list with +/-.)  If you press Shift + letter, you can multi-select the targets.  Then press Enter to give the order.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 02:14:03 pm »

You can also tell them to kill more than one thing.  Within the kill order, there's an option to select targets from a list, or from a rectangle.  If you choose list, then each possible target is given a lower case letter.  (You may have to scroll the list with +/-.)  If you press Shift + letter, you can multi-select the targets.  Then press Enter to give the order.

Cool, I did not know that one.  Thanks for the tip!

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 02:20:25 pm »

Pretty sure thats not what replace clothing does.
My dwarves will be perfectly happy to replace their clothes with armor when I give them an order, then be content to strip naked from their armor when they are done, as that option will make it so they no longer have their clothes on under the armor.
I think what you really want to do is go to schedule, and make sure inactive = uniformed (I think its that way by default)
Though one thing is for certain, if there's anything that the dwarves will ignore you with, its anything related to equipping armor and weapons.
I always have the military in inactive=uniformed AND replace clothing AND not hunters, miners, or woodcutters if there's a remote chance they'll be called up. This seems to work pretty well for instantly-available troops. Make sure to have armor for them to wear when you start this, because the second you tick replace clothing they'll strip naked. If your uniform is just 'legwear' they will drop their civilian clothes and put on a military uniform, or go naked if they can't find one.

Spoiler: I get this a lot (click to show/hide)

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 03:01:17 pm »

A neat trick i use is to toggle replace clothing then give your squad a move order.  They will then drops all their clothes and put on only the armor you have assigned them (I assign all my dwarves specific armor as it tends to work better).  When all your dwarves are at the station point you will know they are equipped with their armor.  Then just retoggle the replace order and they will fill the gaps in your uniform with whatever clothes they can still fit on.

Very handy to get your dwarves to equip gloves/boots/helmets/other things that conflict with civilian clothing.