Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End IC  (Read 10302 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End IC
« Reply #150 on: August 16, 2014, 03:56:54 pm »

Krag nods, then picks up the rope and winds it about one claw to fasten it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 16, 2014, 05:39:57 pm »

"I don't see the need for rope, but we should be quite fine. It's certainly not ambush territory."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2014, 04:46:32 pm »

"Well... Let's go to them."

Head towards the crying.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2014, 04:47:52 pm »

Tradok, still having the rope around him, runs over to the crying.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2014, 04:53:16 pm »

Krag heads toward the noise, behind Tradok.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2014, 06:18:57 pm »

Follow carefully.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2014, 06:12:46 pm »

You enter the small canyon, some more carefully than others. Tradok leads the way with a length of rope tied around his waist, while Osoero stands near the entrance watching the others move forward. The light is poor in the ravine, but the sun is still high enough for you to see by. The walls rise up twenty feet, with perhaps fifteen or twenty feet of space between them where you stand. Around fifty feet ahead, the walls come together at the top in a small natural bridge, the area underneath cast in deep shadows.

Just before that, on your right, the floor of the ravine is covered in debris from what looks to be an old rockslide. The tips of trees, both coniferous and deciduous, poke up over the upper rim of the canyon walls in places.

Apart from that, the only visible thing of interest is what looks to be another pair of bodies leaning against one of the rock pillars supporting the land bridge, on the near side of the underhang. One is limp, arms at its sides, legs sprawled out. The other appears to be cradling the first's head in its lap.

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

((For all intents and purposes, assume the mules and wagon are still in tow. CBA to add that every time, and it will clutter up things too much in some places.))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2014, 06:19:49 pm »

"More bodies. Spooky."
Tradok investigates!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2014, 06:32:26 pm »

Krag gestures for the others to stay back, then begins feeding out rope to Tradok.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2014, 08:09:27 pm »

Ruvitsuvi eyes the bodies with a careful eye.

"That's pretty suspicious."

He looks around warily, fearing for more elementals... or perhaps bandits and brigands.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2014, 12:15:53 am »

"Why not throw a rock at them? Or a pebble? That way, if they explode, only the pebble dies."
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2014, 12:47:30 am »

Cernan glares at his companions.
"One of them is obviously injured or dead. The other one is probably in a similar state. Either way, I'm going to go help them." He raises his voice to shout to them, "Hello there! We mean no harm. Is there anyway we can help you?"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2014, 11:52:17 am »

Tradok moves forward, carefully staring at the unmoving bodies, trailing rope behind him. He quickly realizes that, despite them apparently being covered in blood, he can't smell anything. They also seem to be unusually still; there's a slight breeze blowing up from the entrance of the ravine, but their clothing doesn't so much as ruffle. The conclusion is obvious, even for him: they aren't people at all!

Ruvitsuvi doesn't need anyone to tell him that this reeks of an ambush; he quickly reaches the same conclusion as Tradok regarding the apparent bodies. They aren't natural, and he could swear that he has heard of something like this before -- it's just at the tip of his tongue, but he can't quite remember.

He doesn't, however, notice anything else unusual in the canyon.

Cernan, displaying markedly less suspicion than his comrades, calls out, but receives no response. In fact, the sheer lack of response, not only to his shout but to all external stimuli, tips him off that the bodies aren't what they seem.

--

Ruvitsuvi and Cernan hear a few slight creaks from behind them, as well as the sound of moving cloth alarmingly nearby. Nobody else notices a thing, and thus are taken completely by surprise when the walls of the ravine collapse behind them, and even more so when mottled sheets of canvas -- apparently painted and studded with bits of rock -- are flung aside from small alcoves in the walls of the canyon and shallow pits in the ground, revealing... kobolds. Well, that was underwhelming. They do seem to be unusually well-organized, though, and are all wearing strange goggles with tinted lenses.

On the bright side, it looks like they weren't quite prepared to trigger their ambush so soon. Four spear-wielders and one of the swordskobolds are badly out of position, their dugouts in the more open area, scattered between ten to thirty feet ahead of Tradok on both sides. Another pair, one with a shortsword and the other with a spear, are on the left, equidistant between Krag and Tradok. Two more spear-wielders are directly at the party's rear, with a third holding a sling leading over the edge of the canyon near the collapse.

The collapsed section itself is less than imposing -- it's an inconveniently placed mound of rubble, but it doesn't reach higher than ten feet, and that only in a few places. More worrying are the three kobolds atop the right-hand edge of the canyon. Two are carrying shortbows, obvious threats there, especially considering that they're both scarcely ten feet away and twenty feet up from Cernan and Osoero respectively, but the third is apparently unarmed, standing far enough forward that he's only visible to Tradok and Krag. Those two do notice, however, that the "bodies" disappeared when he rose up to face them.

One of the shortsword-carrying kobolds yaps something along the lines of "Front band [drive off/kill] [surfacedwellers] fast now!" in Draconic, but it's not entirely comprehensible for those of you that speak the language; the Draconic appears to be slightly intertwined with words and grammatical constructs from an unfamiliar tongue. You still get the gist of it, though.

--

The unarmed kobold mutters a few words of Draconic and twirls his scaly fingers, sending a beam of arcane energy at Krag! The ray [16] strikes him dead on, [2 nonlethal] chilling him slightly.

The further swordskobold closes on Tradok, but doesn't quite reach him.

The second, already near to Krag, takes a small step and swings at him [13], the short, narrow blade practically bouncing off.

Quote from: Initiative: Surprise Round
Kobold Caster Healthy (20)
Kobold Swordsman 1 Healthy
Kobold Swordsman 2 Healthy (19)

Ruvitsuvi [6/6] (18)
Kobold Archer 1 Healthy
Kobold Archer 2 Healthy (16)
Kobold Warrior 1 Healthy
Kobold Warrior 2 Healthy
Kobold Warrior 3 Healthy
Kobold Warrior 4 Healthy
Kobold Warrior 5 Healthy
Kobold Warrior 6 Healthy
Kobold Warrior 7 Healthy
Kobold Warrior 8 Healthy (11)

Cernan [9/9] {8)

Spoiler: Tacmap (click to show/hide)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2014, 04:18:02 pm »

"Puny lizards-thingies! FEE FIE FO FUMB, TRADOK CHOP YE' INTO CHUM!"
Tradok swings his greataxe down on Swordskobold 1 after 5-foot stepping forwards.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13