Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grates vs Bars for Railing  (Read 2246 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Grates vs Bars for Railing
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:33:04 pm »

As un-dwarfy as it may be, I've come to the conclusion that some sort of railing along the volcano-spanning paths in my fortress would save many a dwarven life.  That said, I have a large number of fortifications overlooking these bridges from which marksdrarves fire on intruders as they cross them.  As such, while I want the railing to prevent my dwarves from tumbling over into the magma it also needs to allow incoming weapons fire without blocking much/any of it.  Would bars or grates work better for this?  The wiki states that bars permit fired munitions to pass through, and that grates are almost functionally identical, but my mental image of bars just has a lot more free space, and I was wondering if any of my fellow forum-goers had any experience with this particular issue. 
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grates vs Bars for Railing
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:43:27 pm »

You might try a row of statues as well... They block normal movement and give your dwarves something to admire. I'm not sure if they block line-of-sight or projectiles, but I would guess not.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:43:43 pm »

Generally you would be better off having the walkway with a -1z level minor ledge running round it one tile wide, make them movement: restricted and the middle of the walkway high path value.

The problem with bars and grates is that building destroyers will just wreck them all the time. You could make the ledge 2 wide and have no ramps with the bars/grates on the edge to be extra certain, but having them line the main walk way will just be a maintanence pain in the ass.

As for blocking incoming fire: i believe both are essentially the same minus the esthetics.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:07:01 pm »

Fanciest solution: Add an extra lane of pathway made out of retracting bridges. Then make the bridges restricted traffic, as suggested above.

Dwarves will hug the true path but have bridges to dodge to if necessary.
Invaders have the bridges retracted during invasion and thus have to shimmy along the edge and have nowhere to dodge to except firey death. But still a path into the fortress.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:42:34 pm »

Thanks for the feedback!  I'm leaning towards GayJ's solution, if only because I can at least mark the edges as restricted even before I build the edge bridges to improve safety in the mean time.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.