Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Shallow caverns getting in the way. Can they be removed?  (Read 883 times)

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Shallow caverns getting in the way. Can they be removed?
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:39:14 am »

Working on an underground beehive-type project. Every site I choose, though, doesn't have enough vertical space to fit everything before I breach the caverns. After that happens, things get messy. Is there any way to fill in the first cavern layer or stop it from generating in the first place?
I'd prefer to fill them in post worldgen if possible, but even a new world with no caverns at all would be an improvement.

Any ideas?

Using 0.40.03, but I can go back to 0.34

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Shallow caverns getting in the way. Can they be removed?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 05:39:36 am »

There's specific options for that in advanced worldgen. Try increasing the # of levels above layer 1.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 05:48:19 am »

You can also change the number of cavern layers, but I'm not sure if that causes any funkiness.

How many layers are you trying to get?

I tend to embark on the edge of mountains, which usually have 10-20 zlevels before the caverns, as well as being able to go up through the mountain.

anthony62490

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:20:42 am »

There's specific options for that in advanced worldgen. Try increasing the # of levels above layer 1.
Derp. I should have looked there. I will try that.
You can also change the number of cavern layers, but I'm not sure if that causes any funkiness.
How many layers are you trying to get?
Looking for about 25 layers. That should give me all the space I need plus wiggle room. I'll test the number of cavern layers in 0.34 and see what happens.

Thanks for your help. I will report back when I have definitive answers.