Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: .40.05 Hummm, Caravan, but no migrants  (Read 2297 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
.40.05 Hummm, Caravan, but no migrants
« on: July 28, 2014, 03:11:00 am »

So I started a new game in .40.05, the Caravan and outpost liason arrived right on time in late autumn - but no migrants at all have arrived. I don't think I've ever had a game without at least 1 and normally 2 waves before the caravan arrives (except for those where due to advancing time in previous fortresses, one embarks in late summer or autumn - but this is a fresh world, and it started at early spring). This is pretty exceptional in my experience.

I know there are game features which might potentially in theory cause immigrants to say, die along the way or something. It could also be a bug with the population cap fix or something. I guess I'll keep playing on and see if any migrants arrive.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: .40.05 Hummm, Caravan, but no migrants
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 03:19:36 am »

AFAIK you are supposed to get 2 hard coded waves of migrants no matter what. Only afterwards will migration depend on the attractiveness of your fort, the availability of migrants in your civ and ease of the migrants to get to your fort. If for example you fort is on a small island cut of from the main land you won't see any migrant waves after the first two. However, it seem from your description that the hard coded waves didn't make it, that is rather strange and could be a bug.
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 04:41:42 am »

I had this in a fort that I genned in a pre-existing world.  The first year (which started in late summer, iirc, thanks to the 2-week advance combined with when I had retired the last fort) I got a caravan/liaison but no migrants.  They showed up the following year.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:07:57 am »

I keep wondering how the caravans make it to my fortress (only dwarven and human caravans, which is in accordance with what the embark map said for neighbors)
Worldgen produced a small region with a big island, which is separated from the mainland by at 1 tile of ocean, at it's closest point.
http://puu.sh/aumb7/3e769c2b40.png

My dwarven civ lives on the mainland, I embarked on the big island.

The only thing I can think of, is there being an underground tunnel crossing the ocean between mainland, and the island.
Would that be possible? A tunnel that has only been discovered / can only be used by humans and dwarves?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:32:47 am »

I believe if two ummm... "map blocks" both have land in them, and touch each other, the game considers the landmasses to the connected by land, even if there is actually water in between them. There needs to be a complete block of nothing but water to create separate landmasses. Sorry for the imprecision in terminology!
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

nifboy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 06:33:30 am »

Having a similar issue, it's been two years and I've gotten two dwarven caravans and a goblin seige, but no liasons ("No outpost liason? How curious...") nor migrants (no message).

(Edit): They just showed up in winter year 2 after updating LNB and poking the pop cap buttons to re-set them.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 06:53:37 am by nifboy »

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 07:30:33 am »

Same problem, will update to LNP and see if it fixes.

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 08:34:25 am »

If your an idiot like me and copied over your old d_init file, you'll be missing a STRICT_POPULATION_CAP token, the absence of which seemingly sets the Population Cap at 0.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 09:38:26 am »

Same problem, I figured it was due to embarking in a terrifying taiga though. Well, i had one wave of 2 migrants, then one "no migrants have arrived this season". Beyond that, silence.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 01:05:04 pm »

If your an idiot like me and copied over your old d_init file, you'll be missing a STRICT_POPULATION_CAP token, the absence of which seemingly sets the Population Cap at 0.

^^^This is it. I was having this problem initially because I installed 40.04 Phoebus over 40.05 DF. This overwrote d_init with an old version without the STRICT entry. If the game can't find that entry, it apparently cuts off all migrants forever.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:16:07 pm »

That is awesome.  Now, it may be possible to have true "starting seven only" community/project forts.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:50:21 pm »

Ah, this must be it. I used meld to merge my old d_init.txt, but must have been sloppy and missed the new setting.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 09:05:12 pm »

I keep wondering how the caravans make it to my fortress (only dwarven and human caravans, which is in accordance with what the embark map said for neighbors)
Worldgen produced a small region with a big island, which is separated from the mainland by at 1 tile of ocean, at it's closest point.
http://puu.sh/aumb7/3e769c2b40.png

My dwarven civ lives on the mainland, I embarked on the big island.

The only thing I can think of, is there being an underground tunnel crossing the ocean between mainland, and the island.
Would that be possible? A tunnel that has only been discovered / can only be used by humans and dwarves?
There IS no connection to the island.
You're getting human caravans, because humans live on the island.
You're getting dwarven caravans, because dwarves somehow always trade across any and all physical objects to get to you, fueled by the magical power of love. So the water doesn't matter. (you will still get dwarven caravans even on a 1x1 island in the middle of the ocean, etc.)

edit: actually I think what I thought were humans are goblins -- that cloth symbol? If there are no humans on the island i dunno what to tell you, that's weird.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:07:00 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.