Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Mass Pitting in 0.40.xx  (Read 9067 times)

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Pitting in 0.40.xx
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 07:58:41 pm »

Maybe a stupid question, but those having pitting issues are locking the hatches over the hole, right?

No my hatches are passable.

Urist McDworf

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute until proven guilty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 08:22:22 pm »

Try assigning the prisoner to a restraint, and once the prisoner is there, kill it. It works on 0.34.11 (I've done it with a troll/cave silk rope), but I haven't tried it on DF 2014 so don't know if it still works. I prefer this over figuring out pit-making.

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 09:20:19 pm »

Try assigning the prisoner to a restraint, and once the prisoner is there, kill it. It works on 0.34.11 (I've done it with a troll/cave silk rope), but I haven't tried it on DF 2014 so don't know if it still works. I prefer this over figuring out pit-making.

If I chain them up can I use them for crossbow training or will they just go up to the prisoner and beat them to death?

Edit: I can't even chain them. They do the same thing as trying to pit them. Open the cage to get the goblin then get scared of the goblin and bolt.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 09:27:11 pm by mrfancyhat »

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 10:35:54 pm »

So our dwarves now start out as completely scared wusses? I don't know how I feel about this...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 09:34:41 am »

Edit: I can't even chain them. They do the same thing as trying to pit them. Open the cage to get the goblin then get scared of the goblin and bolt.

Hmph.  You're lucky your dwarf got away with most of his blood still on the inside of his body.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 10:17:34 am »

Hmph.  You're lucky your dwarf got away with most of his blood still on the inside of his body.

After the first attempt at uncaging I always have a squad on standby. I'm lucky I have so many caged prisoners to keep testing things on.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 10:29:16 am »

I haven't tried this yet, but I have an idea about why it might not be working. It's possible the goblins are grabbing the ledge as soon as they're released. I would have expected your friendly human werebeast and gray langur to do so as well, though, so maybe not. Try pitting a goblin and advancing one step at a time to see if it's climbing at some point before your dwarf gets scared.

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:01 am »

I haven't tried this yet, but I have an idea about why it might not be working. It's possible the goblins are grabbing the ledge as soon as they're released. I would have expected your friendly human werebeast and gray langur to do so as well, though, so maybe not. Try pitting a goblin and advancing one step at a time to see if it's climbing at some point before your dwarf gets scared.

The dwarf is getting interrupted the second they open up the cage.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 12:32:08 pm »

Realistically, this is a bug fix.  Being able to lead a goblin (and not just an ordinary goblin, but one that was part of an army trying to kill you) meekly out of a cage into a hole in the ground, with no restraints, without any risks, was kinda broken.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 04:04:22 am »

Broken, but functional - you could assume that the caged creatures were in leg irons/hand cuffed or tied up with rope or something.

I'm not sure if it's a case of the new discipline requirement causing the issue, or if its a bug. I don't want to waste someone's time with the bug-tracker unless it IS a bug.

Has anyone tried getting a trained (and disciplined) soldier dwarf, who is off-duty, to do the cage pitting?
If an off-duty disciplined dwarf can do it, then the problem is the civilian dwarves lack of discipline that causes the issue.
Otherwise it will likely be a bug.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 04:11:27 am »

Caged prisoners are fine for marksman training.

To do it completely safe you need a room, some fortifications and some mechanism. Build the cages with the (item strapped) prisoners into the room, link them all to a lever ... seal the room (bridge or wall, doesn't matter) and pull the lever. Station your marksdwarves nearby and let them fire away.

When everyone is dead -> clean up and prepare the next wave of caged living targets.

Gives all your lazy dwarves something to do.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 05:09:22 am »

Caged prisoners are fine for marksman training.

To do it completely safe you need a room, some fortifications and some mechanism. Build the cages with the (item strapped) prisoners into the room, link them all to a lever ... seal the room (bridge or wall, doesn't matter) and pull the lever. Station your marksdwarves nearby and let them fire away.

When everyone is dead -> clean up and prepare the next wave of caged living targets.

Gives all your lazy dwarves something to do.

Yeah but I wanted the pitting to work to save the time.

Broken, but functional - you could assume that the caged creatures were in leg irons/hand cuffed or tied up with rope or something.

I'm not sure if it's a case of the new discipline requirement causing the issue, or if its a bug. I don't want to waste someone's time with the bug-tracker unless it IS a bug.

Has anyone tried getting a trained (and disciplined) soldier dwarf, who is off-duty, to do the cage pitting?
If an off-duty disciplined dwarf can do it, then the problem is the civilian dwarves lack of discipline that causes the issue.

I lost my fort to a siege since my army had no metal gear. I can't say 100% if high disciple would help but I had designed my army to have 2-3 squads of soldiers and a bunch of squads of just civs being trained as reserves.

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 02:41:00 pm »

I have had the same trouble, with the added bonus that sometimes the dwarf performing the dragging suddenly became hostile to other dwarves.
Me too: tried to attach goblin to chain. Military killed the goblin AND the dwarf that had the job to put the goblin to the chain :(

Urist McDworf

• Bay Watcher
  • Cute until proven guilty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 08:50:37 pm »

How could you ensure that a military dwarf always did it and not a civilian? Burrow designations?

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 08:58:25 pm »

How could you ensure that a military dwarf always did it and not a civilian? Burrow designations?

Maybe you can designate the job with the manager?
Pages: 1 [2] 3