Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dragon breeding in 40.05  (Read 693 times)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dragon breeding in 40.05
« on: July 27, 2014, 06:02:56 pm »

Allowed egg-laying critters without baby/child state to have viable eggs
Does this mean we can now officially breed dragons in fortress mode?
Also, if it does: how do I do it? The dragon is likely an enemy of my civ, so she will attack my dwarves even when trained. When she's chained, she doesn't attack my own dwarves anymore, right? But will she use a nest box while chained? Will she use a nest box at all if she is an enemy of my civ? Will she still breath fire when chained?
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon breeding in 40.05
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:02:32 pm »

Unless I'm reading the raws wrong, dragons still don't have a child tag, and thus cannot breed in fort mode.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:14:27 pm »

I think Toady has fixed it so egg layers no longer need the child tag to reproduce in the latest patch so there is a good chance you can now breed dragons although it is unlikely your fort will survive the thousand years it takes for one to reach maturity.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:13:31 pm »

My take on the meaning of that line, http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141206.0

I think that, yes, it means that without the child tag the eggs would still hatch. They would hatch as a dragon (not as, say, a dragon hatchling, as a child state that lasts, for example 3 years or something), but would be quite small. They would continue to grow each year every year. So native hatched dragons would of course be quite small (despite popping out as otherwise full grown beasts capable of breeding), unless you ran your fort for a good 100 or 200 years, at which point they would have grown in size considerably.

That's my take on it anyways, but I'm not entirely sure.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »

Well, if you play with a single world but multiple Fortresses, you could theoretically take that long. Instead of keeping them you could trade them around and possibly run into Elves trading another one of your Fortresses a dragon they bought from your breeding one.

You could, then, be a Dragon farm that supplies other sites with their own trained animals. Hell, not just dragons, imagine the wealth of breeding Cave Crocodiles, or Rocs.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:47:42 pm »

possibly run into Elves trading another one of your Fortresses a dragon they bought from your breeding one
As far as I know, that isn't actually a thing yet - even if you trade animals to another civilization, those animals are not added to that entity's list of available resources.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:50:48 pm »

Do bred Dragons count as megabeasts for Age purposes? It could be possible to start a Second Age of Myth, which suddenly ends due to accidentally trading a few dragons to a caravan :D.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 09:54:14 pm »

Do bred Dragons count as megabeasts for Age purposes? It could be possible to start a Second Age of Myth, which suddenly ends due to accidentally trading a few dragons to a caravan :D.
Not unless the dragon becomes a historical figure, which can happen if it kills something in battle or if somebody adopts it as a pet. In either case, trading it to a caravan would not count as it having disappeared, so you could permanently throw your world into the Age of Myth by breeding and selling dragons.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.