Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting: The forgotten art  (Read 566 times)

smoothestjazz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Hunting: The forgotten art
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:58:05 pm »

So I'm picking DF back up after awhile to tool around in the new update and I noticed that the new starter pack doesn't have a hunter preset dwarf in. I embarked anyway and just gave one of my guys a crossbow and a bunch of bolts and told him that he's a hunter now, but he doesn't seem to want to kill things for me. Why is this? I've seen some wildlife around so I know that's not the reason.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting: The forgotten art
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:24:31 pm »

You didn't mention a quiver. Does he have a quiver?

Also, make sure that wildlife is stuff he can path to. That excludes birds, and sometimes things on the other side of rivers.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 06:42:17 pm »

Hunters:
1) Turn on the "Ambusher" labor.
2) Make sure there is a crossbow available, which is not claimed by a military dwarf.  You can't directly assign a crossbow to a hunter.  They will only take whatever is left over after all the military squad positions have claimed theirs.
3) Assign bolts to the "Hunters" pseudo-squad in the military ammo screen, m f.
4) Make sure there is an unassigned quiver for the hunter to pick up.  These are never assigned directly; any military dwarf or hunter who is given a ranged weapon will try to grab a quiver automatically.  Quivers are made of leather only.
5) Make sure the hunter is NOT in any military squad.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:55:40 pm »

This could be related to the bug where animals with the [flyer] tag prevent invasions from happening - invasions of everything, even wildlife