Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More windkins/firekins/etc  (Read 945 times)

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More windkins/firekins/etc
« on: July 27, 2014, 03:34:43 pm »

So, a while ago I edited my Masterwork raws to bump up the percentage of naturally magic dwarves, just for flavor.  I like starting with an Earth or Waterkin, just to give my military leader that extra something.  However, that was a loong time ago, and I would like to do the same thing now, and am having a lot of trouble recalling exactly how I managed it.  Could someone point me in the right direction?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: More windkins/firekins/etc
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:30:03 am »

creature_standard.txt, look for POP_RATIO in the castes.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 03:36:11 am »

Thanks a lot, Meph!  One more quick question, I am familiar with the arcane dwarves, firekins, wavekins, etc.  In my latest fort I got a "sorcerer" (should be sorceror) dwarf.. is that a new type or something?  He's also high in the Magic Weapon User skill, which I've never seen before.  Dont see anything regarding this caste in the manual, so thought I'd ask.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:53:54 am by nukularpower »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:49:56 am »

What does the unit description say? Sounds like a normal arcane dwarf to me, with sorcerer being the profession name.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 03:55:17 am »

It just says arcane dwarf, didn't realize thats what they are called.   Thanks, and though I know I said it last time.. One more quickie: despite how rare I can now see they are supposed to be, I "lucked" into a pyromancer migrant.  I didn't realize he was one, actually, until the first time he showed up and burned down my entire fort;  savescumming it, he comes into the map and immediately blows fire everywhere, despite there being no enemies in sight, killing himself (and pretty much everyone else) every time in the process.  I presume this isn't supposed to happen - both the fort-destroying and the fact that he kills himself with his fire-wave-thing?  Pretty funny, though.   I have the save right before it happens if you want to see it.

Edit:  I can't tell if he's blowing fire or something, or just exploding... it kinda goes everywhere.  As an additional bit of amusement, his wife comes in right after, and if she survives she is very unhappy at losing a spouse to tragedy recently, witnessing their death.. due to spontaneous combustion xD
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:03:42 am by nukularpower »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:15:20 am »

Fire mages might explode when they flee from combat, so a civilian firemage explodes pretty much every time a creature comes near him an startles him. Its a feature, because they can be very powerful in combat, I had to give them something negative.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:51:28 pm »

I see.. there are no creatures to startle him though, he just explodes as soon as he comes on the map.

moseythepirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 12:57:46 pm »

I see.. there are no creatures to startle him though, he just explodes as soon as he comes on the map.
He was shocked at how awesome your fortress is.
Congratulations, you've managed to weaponize air.

nukularpower

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 10:25:59 pm »

Could be.  I was under the impression Pyromancers were immune to fire, though - this guy dies almost every time. Thankfully, too - when he doesn't, he proceeds to blast fire all over the inside of my fort (no enemies there either) and kill everyone (which is what happened the first time.)  I'm not sure what the game counts as "startling" but this seems a bit excessive for being unlucky enough to get this migrant, no matter how good of a fighter he may be.. considering I can't find a way to get him to live 10 seconds into the map without using DFhack to dump water everywhere, and then, as I said, he just blows up everything inside.

Oh well.  Can't say I would ever consider creating a pyromancer after this, but life goes on.  Thanks for the answers.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 04:27:38 am »

He might have learned the fire secret in world-gen, I've gotten migrants like that before- they just spam their secret magic all over the place the moment they enter the map; and since it's a secret and not a caste, a fire-secret-knower wouldn't benefit from the fire-magic training that would grant fire-immunity.

Look him up in legends, I'll bet he's even written a few books on himself and his awesome fire powers before blessing you with his glowing presence.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle