Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Random Surface collapses  (Read 505 times)

TheEngine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Random Surface collapses
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:04:23 pm »

Im starting to get annoyed by all the surface collapses, Could anyone tell me what these are caused by? i think its somthing to do with me removing the roots of trees but im not sure.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Surface collapses
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »

It's not removing roots, that causes trees to stop existing....I think it is a tree dieing, no proof, just I was on the surface when I saw a giant tree just collapse.

TheEngine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 01:58:41 pm »

I've noticed it only happens withing close proximity to my -1z lvl farms so thats what got me thinking, I've never seen it zoom away from my fortress.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:30 am »

It's definitely caused by tress collapsing, or some part of a tree collapsing; upon unpause there always seems to be a massive cloud of dust for a few moments. On some embarks, I also get "A portion of the caverns has collapsed!" which is the same story, but with towercaps and fungiwood. Oddly enough, I get these messages before I've even breached the caverns, so that's definitely a bug.

dudlol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:47 pm »

Do tree roots ever expand? If so it could be them trying to expand into a mined out tile, realizing they can't,  and instantly dieing same as if you mined out the roots? Just a guess. Recently had a fort where I connected all the murky pools via underground tunnels(had no other water source, wanted to be able to harvest water from all at once while avoiding accidentally draining one and having it never refill due to evaporation) and this was happening a tonne.

bigcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 06:12:57 am »

This appears to be fixed in 40_05 - along with other fixes for trees - in 40_04 trees were public enemy number one!