Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is the knowledge in the forums about dealing with aquifers?  (Read 2667 times)

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the knowledge in the forums about dealing with aquifers?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 09:57:22 pm »

How to tell if there is another aquifer layer below:
As noted, digging an up/down stairs into the aquifer will reveal what is below. A layer which can have an aquifer below an existing aquifer layer, will always be aquifer, unless it intercepts the caverns in such a way that it would cause a permanent leak, such tiles have their aquifer quality turned off (but the layer as a whole will still be aquifer).

There are two ways to tell without external knowledge:
1) While the miner is digging, 1-step, once the staircase is dug out, there will be a tick when the bottom of the staircase is dry, if the tile below shows as being wet (dig view) then it is aquifer, otherwise it is not.
2) Before digging, designate another staircase under the first one, then when the first one is dig out if the game immediately pauses to warn about wet stone, it is aquifer, otherwise it is not aquifer (the "is wet stone" check happens the moment the designated tile is revealed, before the staircase above has a chance to accumulate some water).

Digging through aquifers is typically very easy. The twin slit method on the wiki I find complicated to follow and finnicky. When you get to the bottom layer it's so much easier to just seal off a 1x1 or 1x2 staircase and establish a cavern drain if you want to do further aquifer work.

For 1-z level aquifers, unfortunately in this version dwarven mental retardation has reached new heights and I don't know a safe way to use the freezing method - the trick of digging out up/down stairs into the aquifer layer, before channelling them out, will work 95% of the time, but occasionally you get a retard who manages to drown during that step, the rule appears to be "If a dwarf is standing in a tile, and water enters the tile and fills to 7/7, he may drown regardless of how easy the tile is to escape from via ramp or staircase". Short of digging out one tile at a time I don't know a way to stop dwarves going down into the aquifer layer, exposing themselves to either flash freezing or retarded drowning. For the same reason, obsidianization is probably also going to be unsafe due to drowning risk (not that it ever is practical to begin with).

Fortunately, twin slit and cave-in both work as well as ever. For penetrating 1-z aquifers cave-in is very fast, done right it is totally safe and requires only digging time and 1 construction material (to act as a temporary support) if you're into unsafe you can skip the 1 construction material and channel out the last tile holding up the plug - not recommended although often no-one dies. I don't think the fast-safe-cheap method I use is described on the wiki, it basically exploits the fact that diagonal connections don't provide support, diagonals don't allow cave-in dust to pass through, and dwarves can deconstruct through a diagonal.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The cave-in method basically lets you make any size staircase through a 1-z aquifer you want.

I also sometimes use pumps for a 1-z aquifer if I don't want to vandalize the surface with great pits. Pumps are pretty simple, I normally use a 1x2 slit and use a row of two pumps to keep it dry - you can do it with 1 pump, but 2 pumps are easier. You can also get most the benefits by just moving the one pump (but pumps are dirt cheap).

Finally once you are through it's VERY easy to use drainage from below to make as many holes as you like as large as you like. I've often punched magma pump stacks through aquifer layers this way and also installed skylights into the dining room. It'd be retarded to try and do such things without drainage from below, but with drainage from below you can enjoy 0% suspensions.

The basic method is:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2014, 10:07:51 pm »

I usually cave in a plug. Last time however was on a volcanic embark with a brook. Needless to say, I decided to attempt a more... unorthodox method of circumventing the aquifer. Hilarity ensued.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2014, 11:08:29 pm »

If you have several layers above your aquifer, and you make your plug big (15x15 to be safe) you can cave in through multiple layers of aquifer by repeating the process within each plug. (Dig out a plug within a plug).

I usually cave in a plug. Last time however was on a volcanic embark with a brook. Needless to say, I decided to attempt a more... unorthodox method of circumventing the aquifer. Hilarity ensued.
Obsidianizing the aquifer?  Sounds fun
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 11:12:11 pm »

Volcanos are usually steep mountains, and most of the time, I find a stone layer before hitting any kind of aquifer.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 12:35:27 am »

yeah it's not like you ever REALLY need it if you have a volcano, it's just really easy if you want another hole for some reason away from the volcano
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 08:16:45 am »

I always dig around them, sometimes it makes the underground sections of the fort messy, but that just helps me remember where the line is between the mines and the fort.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 11:28:12 am »

Obsidianizing the aquifer?  Sounds fun

Better, this volcano was weird, it was at ground level. So I built a flood gate controlled channel from the brook to the volcano and obsidianized the volcano one layer at a time until I got below the aquifer. It was awesome, occasionally fatal, and hilariously impractical.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 01:49:26 pm »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the cave-in method for multiple layers yet. It's pretty simple and doesn't take that long, even if you cautiously prepare for 5 aquifer layers.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 05:26:29 pm »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the cave-in method for multiple layers yet. It's pretty simple and doesn't take that long, even if you cautiously prepare for 5 aquifer layers.
Nice!  Much more refined than my crude method.  The concentric rings dug out ahead of time make the absolute most of the available layers above the aquifer.  I think the approach I was suggesting requires multiple layers above the aquifer to work.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 06:05:53 pm »

Oddly, I don't see my favorite pumpless iceless method in any of the previous responses!  Unless the embark is absolutely flat as a pancake (and sometimes even then...) you find some irregularity where the aquifer is higher in one spot than another.  Then just start at the lower end, dig up-down stairs down as far as you can to pour out the water, then extend lines of up-down stairs to surround a 3x3 area of aquifer.  Dig out that area from the top down until you reach the bare stone, and of course 1x1 to get your dorfs through without breaching the sump.

If the aquifer has more depth than height variation, this wouldn't seem to work ... but a GOOD digger can dig thru the first layer and dig a _second_ up-down stair beneath it in another soil layer, thereby breaching a whole layer of aquifer essentially for free.  So you can quickly dispose of all the layers but the one on the stone.

The one caveat is that if you have some kind of aquifer stone that holds water but won't absorb it (I saw this once in the last version) you are truly screwed and have to do something else.

Issue in the new version: the dorfs now love to start digging from the _bottom_ of the heap.  That means yes, they'll cheerfully enter the bottom sump layer to dig up-down staircases and drown unless you tediously make sure to designate and dig out the ones above them first.

Sorg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • EnglishWithCoffee
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 06:51:32 pm »

I use this method 100% of the time and I don't understand why people even need other methods to deal with aquifers :P
Intelligent is a strong word to use around DF.
you're lucky it wasn't an adventurer.  I've heard they can bash your skull in by throwing water at you.  UNDERWATER

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 01:57:25 am »

I use this method 100% of the time and I don't understand why people even need other methods to deal with aquifers :P
Probably because of the gaping hole. Double slit doesn't touch your other layers, for the most part.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
Pages: 1 [2]