Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can [SPOILERS] Mate?  (Read 1036 times)

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can [SPOILERS] Mate?
« on: July 26, 2014, 07:37:32 pm »

In my current world, I have unique monitor demons which are ruling different goblin civilisations. It seems that they belong to the same species (they are not "The only one of its kind" but "One of the only one of its kind"). One is female, the other one is male. Is it possible or them to generate offspring?
Oh, and I can't just wait and hope for the best, since I killed the female one while she was busy killing her subordinate lady.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can [SPOILERS] Mate?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 07:40:06 pm »

In my current world, I have unique monitor demons which are ruling different goblin civilisations. It seems that they belong to the same species (they are not "The only one of its kind" but "One of the only one of its kind"). One is female, the other one is male. Is it possible or them to generate offspring?
Oh, and I can't just wait and hope for the best, since I killed the female one while she was busy killing her subordinate lady.

I don't know for sure, but if demons run on the same mechanic as entities, though randomly generated, so long as the are the same 'creature', they should IF they are 'married', if they don't run as entities then they should reproduce like animals.

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:44:50 am »

i believe that they don't have a [CHILD] tag (correct me if im wrong, but i think demons don't, while night creatures do) so this will probably prevent them from having any children

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:44:40 pm »

Not having a [CHILD] tag does not hinder dragons from breeding. They don't breed in fortress mode, but in the world history they do.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:57:05 am »

Not having a [CHILD] tag does not hinder dragons from breeding. They don't breed in fortress mode, but in the world history they do.

The problem with that is dragons are egg layers, which now skips the child tag, and causes them to hatch into adults, unless the DO have the tag.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 02:58:58 pm »

Since they're intelligent, they would need to wed to have offspring. And I'm pretty sure they are unable to do so since they themselves lack a proper entity.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 05:57:46 pm »

So in short, no, they won't breed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 10:04:22 pm »

Toady just removed the need for a child tag altogether, didn't he?  So that shouldn't matter anymore.  Being married definitely would, but there's also the matter of gender.  Aren't demons sexless?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:16:18 pm »

Toady just removed the need for a child tag altogether, didn't he?  So that shouldn't matter anymore.  Being married definitely would, but there's also the matter of gender.  Aren't demons sexless?
He didn't remove the need for a child token, what he did was remove the need for a child token on egglayers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 12:07:38 am »

Being married definitely would, but there's also the matter of gender.  Aren't demons sexless?

Not all.  You might see male and female demons in legend mode, and some generated demons have only one gender.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 07:39:25 am »

He didn't remove the need for a child token, what he did was remove the need for a child token on egglayers.

Hmm, maybe so.  The devblog says:

Quote from: Toady
•removed requirement that a creature have a baby/child state to breed completely

Which may just not be specific enough.  I haven't actually tested it or anything.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 08:23:54 am »

Hmm, maybe so.  The devblog says:

Quote from: Toady
•removed requirement that a creature have a baby/child state to breed completely

Which may just not be specific enough.  I haven't actually tested it or anything.
The requirement for CHILD/BABY was removed from egglayers in version 0.40.05 - the above mentioned devlog entry is for the next version (0.40.06), which would suggest that the change will apply to all creatures.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nihilich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 07:44:12 pm »

this is a good question and we need to investigate it.