Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Danger room problem in 0.40.04  (Read 3808 times)

Bartok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Danger room problem in 0.40.04
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:46:47 am »

My first squad trained up fine, except for some facial injuries (ears, noses, teeth).  However they all went pale, then eventually died.

Those injuries don't tend to get medical attention, and I've never seen them lead to bleeding to death before.

Has anyone else run into this?  Or am I just unlucky?

I put the next two squads into the room long enough so they learned how to use their weapons, then suspended the spikes for now.

The tantrum spiral seems to have died down for now...

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Danger room problem in 0.40.04
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 11:12:34 am »

I have the same problem in my current fortress but I assumed it came from my sinister biome, I am not familiar with thoses.
Injured dwarves get treated in the hospital but they remain infected somehow despite clean water and soap available.

Then their state slowly decreases, their icons  are flashing more and more over the years until they die.

In my previous fortress, everything was running fine

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 06:01:37 pm »

Toady one made danger rooms dangerous!

Finally!  No more of that exploitative nonsense!  Mwhaahahahah!

Train your dwarves like real overseers do, by giving them wood training weapons and beating chained naked goblins to death with sticks.  It's the only truly dwarven way to train.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 06:35:07 pm »

My first question would be, are you on an evil biome, or where you visited by a forgotten beast? Going pale and bleeding out all of a sudden sounds more like a syndrome that that it sounds like related to danger room training.

If not, what do the combat reports say? Maybe you accidentally used wooden spikes somewhere, or a non-training spear?

I can't really imagine Toady doing something that rigorous to danger rooms, to force a playstyle upon people.

On other news, you really don't need danger rooms anymore (says me, who repeatedly defended using them as a valid playstyle, in an alpha sandbox single player game). Squads train their weapon skills perfectly well now, when doing individual combat drills, and armor / dodge / shield train fast enough when they are sparring.
http://puu.sh/ass13/18d1e37a9b.png
I got the weapon skill to legendary before allowing them to spar. Hence the wrestling is not super high. Some careful scheduling should keep weapon skill > wrestling skill.
They just got their armor a dwarf week ago (MY OCD compelled me to http://puu.sh/ast7T/57f2aa05d6.png), so armor skill still needs to build.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:54:34 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »

They train weapons in 40.04? All of my dwarves refuse to use their weapons when sparring, and only strike, kick, etc. They use weapons fine in combat, but won't train them while sparring. Do demonstrations/combat drills work better these days?

Bartok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 07:26:34 pm »

No evil, no forgotten beasts.  It's the darnedest thing.

I'd read that sparring still wasn't using weapons, though fighting was, which was why I was training that way.  I'll try another squad, and see if it happens again.

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 07:44:12 pm »

They train weapons in 40.04? All of my dwarves refuse to use their weapons when sparring, and only strike, kick, etc. They use weapons fine in combat, but won't train them while sparring. Do demonstrations/combat drills work better these days?

I use 40.02 so it might be different for you. But my dwarves do train up weapons IF AND ONLY IF they have them equipped, despite never using them while sparring.

Also I had a bit of trouble getting them to equip anything, but changing to "replace clothing" fixed it.

To elaborate:
No dwarf has a weapon - they train wrestling
Only one dwarf has a weapon - they train both wrestling and that weapon
All dwarves have a weapon - they still train both wrestling and that weapon
All dwarves have armor and shields - they train armor and shield use too
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:46:44 pm by Nikita »

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 07:49:34 pm »

Sparring does not train weapon skill. Individual training sessions do.

Dwarves will do ONLY individual training sessions if you assign them a barracks for training, set them to Active/Training on the (military) >>> (a)lerts screen, but set their orders on the (m)ilitary >>> (s)chedule screen to "No scheduled order". You do this by pressing (x) for cancel order on all the slots that say "Train".
Individual training sessions train weapon skill, discipline, fighter.

If you set their orders to "Train", they will randomly alternate between spar / do individual training sessions / lead or follow demonstrations.
Sparring will train armor (if any is worn), shield (if equipped), dodge, striker, kicker, and with crazy speed, wrestler. Let them spar too much and they will be better wrestlers than weapon users, which will probably be adressed in upcoming updates.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:56:14 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 08:34:29 pm »

They will also probably have some broken bones, due to sparring dwarves throwing each other as hard as if they were fighting for real (bug).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:52:39 pm »

I use 40.02 so it might be different for you.

All dwarves have a weapon - they still train both wrestling and that weapon
All dwarves have armor and shields - they train armor and shield use too

Yes, this is different between 0.40.02 and 0.40.04.  Version 0.40.04 was supposed to fix the "dwarves use striking/kicking/etc. more often than their weapons", but it was only fixed in real combat.  In sparring in 0.40.04, dwarves never use their weapons.

0.40.02, real combat => dwarves use striking/etc. more often than weapons
0.40.02, sparring => dwarves use striking/etc. more often than weapons
0.40.04, real combat => dwarves use their weapons more often than striking/etc.
0.40.04, sparring => dwarves NEVER use weapons; only striking/etc.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 05:29:46 am »

Neat, danger rooms actually live up to their namesake now? My guess is that the dwarves basically died the death of a thousand paper cuts. The injuries were probably not that severe but were likely repeated over and over then some got infected.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 06:37:53 am »

It's important to split training time between active and inactive for squads until the sparring bug gets dealt with next update.
During inactive they will do individual combat drills only, which trains whatever weapon they have equipped, dodging, discipline and fighter skills. Much more slowly than they gain other skills during sparring, so probably even better to have them spend more time inactive than active if you want weapon skill to be better represented.
On the plus side, they now use their weapons consistently in combat instead of trying to punch, kick, scratch and wrestle their targets to death.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 12:20:15 pm »

Train your dwarves like real overseers do, by giving them wood training weapons and beating chained naked goblins to death with sticks.  It's the only truly dwarven way to train.

I tried this and all they got was dodge, fighter and armor user, never their weapon skill. I had them fight fully armored disarmed goblins in a room with locked doors and if the goblin got the best of him, I'd open the door, the gobbo would run for freedom right into the barracks

I don't consider danger rooms much of an exploit because training and the military in general was so buggy. Now that training is better, they would be an exploit.

And training really is better. I have 3 squads, they do individual drills never sparring BUT their skills are going up at a nice steady pace

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 06:43:52 pm »

I guess this is a stupid question but when you were training on the goblin prisoners in question are you sure they actually have their weapons equipped.  I can't say i've got round to it in .40 but I don't see why it wouldn't work as well as it did before.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 06:45:08 pm »

0.40.02, real combat => dwarves use striking/etc. more often than weapons
0.40.02, sparring => dwarves use striking/etc. more often than weapons
0.40.04, real combat => dwarves use their weapons more often than striking/etc.
0.40.04, sparring => dwarves NEVER use weapons; only striking/etc.

Looks like 0.40.05 works like 0.40.04.  Or at least, my saved game that I migrated from earlier releases into 0.40.05 still has sparring dwarves kicking and punching.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz
Pages: [1] 2