Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Player, Question about using stockpiles  (Read 317 times)

Kitanode

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
New Player, Question about using stockpiles
« on: July 26, 2014, 06:41:48 am »

Hi, I made a drink stockpile (6x2) for my still but after a while I started getting announcements saying there was no more room to store the booze i was making. So i examined the stockpile and found that all of the barrels only contained about 5-10 units of drink each.

Is there a way that i can make the brewer (or any dwarf!) fill the barrels up to the max limit before choosing to fill a different barrel, so that i don't end up with 12 half full barrels?

Or is it possible to make the dwarfs drink out one barrel at a time or maybe empty the contents of one barrel into another?

Also, how much does each dwarf drink per day?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Player, Question about using stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 09:16:41 am »

Is there a way that i can make the brewer (or any dwarf!) fill the barrels up to the max limit before choosing to fill a different barrel, so that i don't end up with 12 half full barrels?

Not directly. Each barrel will only contain the results of brewing a single stack of plants. You can improve your farmer's grower skill so he produces larger stacks of plants, and you can fertilize the field to roughly double the stack sizes. Unfortunately, even if you go to great lengths to produce large stacks, the brewer seems to like picking smaller stacks to brew. (Perhaps he and the plant-eating dwarves prefer the most-recently produced stack?)

Or is it possible to make the dwarfs drink out one barrel at a time or maybe empty the contents of one barrel into another?

Nope. You can forbid some of the barrels in hopes that your dwarves will finish off the others, but since they seem to prefer the most-recently produced booze the effect is marginal at best.

Also, how much does each dwarf drink per day?

The wiki claims 4 units per dwarf per season in v0.34. The numbers for v0.40 have not yet been determined, though it certainly seems like they burn through the booze faster.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Player, Question about using stockpiles
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 05:52:01 pm »

after a while I started getting announcements saying there was no more room to store the booze i was making.

I've never seen announcements of this kind.  Ever.  Is there some option you've toggled to enable them?  I wouldn't want any for booze, because booze doesn't rot, but it would be great to know that prepared meals are stacking up in my kitchen because the prepared meal stockpile is full.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz