Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction  (Read 17340 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction
« Reply #135 on: August 16, 2014, 10:58:30 am »

Follow Varkhal right on out.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2014, 11:20:10 pm »

Day 1 – Evening

Aetharbor

The trip to Arclow did not appear to be a popular one. The first captain laughed and walked away, which Asithi found quite rude; but it was actually quite tame compared to some of the later responses. The second response involved quite a bit of cursing, and the third captain actually called over a guard to chase her off. But before Asithi could react to the affront another man approached her. He said he had a small ship that he used to ferry people between the islands, and Arclow was his next stop in his route. It wasn’t popular, most got off at Aetharbor, so his ship was light. Asithi offered the trip for 15 iron shillings.

Seawall

While a strange and new setting, Meyath’s work in the tent had been familiar. She had healed before, and when she caught the rhythm the healing was easy. The kitchen was different. It was set up in a fairly familiar fashion, but the people running around doing their own tasks caught her off balance repeatedly. Bowls were dropped, ingredients crushed under feet, and at one point Meyath nearly cut herself. Shaken by the event, she walked out of the kitchen with nothing to show for her time.

Will decided the people who would best know of recent events would be in the guardhouse, so he returned to the yard and asked one of the recruits what had happened recently about the fire.
Quote from: An Ill-Fated Inquiry
Male Recruit 1: “Ah, you’re the new recruit. Word is you were staring at Arai sparring this morning. No worries man, she’s got that effect on people. Best part is she’s so absorbed in sparring she’ll figure you were only watching her technique. Careful though, stare too often and she’ll want to spar with you, and that is not a fun experience. She doesn’t hold back, at least not any more than she has to in order to keep her partners alive.
Our job has actually been pretty quiet. You know, there’s the usual rumors of smuggling, and some even turn into reports. But we never find no evidence. Smugglers, they’re good at smuggling. Most guards ‘round here, they don’t last long enough to get good at guarding. So whether there are smugglers, or merchants are just sabotaging each other, you ain’t ever gonna know. We do still look though.
Pirates though, they cause troubles. Never know when they’re gonnna hit, ain’t no rumors to keep you knowin, you know? Like that fire. Came outta knowhere. No casualties though. That ain’t common, so don’t get used to it. Normally them pirates are on the city like ants on a Devil’s Tree. We stop ‘em every time; always enough to do that, never enough to feel truly safe. They’ve been quiet except for last night though, and most of the recent attacks have been sorta similar. Not many deaths. You mighta come at the right time mate!
Ain’t the right time to be a man here though.  Arai, she’s one of three women, and she’s more likely to hit you than kiss ya. Much more likely. And the other two, well lets just say that they have their sights set higher than us recruits; ya know what I mean.”

At this point one of the women who Will recognized as not Arai came over. She appeared to take offense to the young recruit’s comment, and brought him out into the yard to ‘spar.’ This consisted of beating him with a stick while he tried to protect himself. Luckily, or so Will thought at the time, this was interrupted by another unfamiliar feminine face joining in, apparently protecting the loudmouthed recruit simply because her rival was attacking. The ferociously attacked each other while Will watched. He could tell there was less technique than passion in the blows, and also that they weren’t holding back at all. During this time his new informer stumbled over and stood just behind Will.

Male Recruit 1: ”Like I said. The women here, they aren’t for us. Getting involved with any of them is dangerous.”
This last remark was punctuated by Arai picking up her own weapon, disarming the other two, and getting between them. The fight was over it seemed. For now at least. It seemed the earlier gossip was wrong about there not being sticks involved.

Iseaya

The tunnel going back was much as it was when they came. It was a lengthy and dark, but the torchlight led them back reliably. Sofia danced along down the tunnel, thoroughly proud of herself for having solved the problem so well. Varkhal was less certain; there was nothing in his memory that made him sure that other moles would not cause trouble. However, he also had no sound reason to doubt the effectiveness of the Aethen’s strategy, other than of course the fact that it was far simpler than it should have been.

Spirarbor

The wizened man was disinterested in payment; he relayed to her that at some age you decide to worry less about money and more about having partners for conversation. Realizing the lateness of the evening, and the promise of dinner, Cara went back to her house. Her parents were very excited to have her for dinner; they had prepared large Fencing Fish steaks, covered in exotic spices they had grown accustomed to in their journeys. Cara gladly ate the meaty fish as she discussed her day with her parents. They seemed to think the Sleepless Banshee was nothing more than a local oddity.

”Oh yes, I’ve heard of that cult. A lot of intellectuals doing their best to confuse themselves. So much of the world reveals itself to these scholars that they have to invent paradoxes just to get some mystery back.”
”I’m not sure that’s fair. I’ve known some people who have found that religion rewarding. Intelligence doesn’t relieve people of the desire to have a guide in this world. Those who follow the Sleepless Banshee, they find a guide in her. I think people are just distrustful of them because they don’t understand them. Maybe they even like it that way; they make few enough efforts to convert anyone.”

Maps

Spoiler: Aethellian Coast (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2014, 11:56:59 pm »

Will visibly winces, watching the fight, before turning back to the recruit, speaking softly.

"I wasn't staring, was trying to see if I could learn anything. I'm Will, you?"
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 18, 2014, 01:42:28 am »

If he means 15 copper coins, accept and move out. If we're not moving out yet, ask if I can go into the sleeping areas on board. If yes, go there.

Spoiler: Asithi Esseth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 18, 2014, 02:23:47 am »

Meyath appologises and leaves the kitchen, trying to calm down before going into the other tent
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 18, 2014, 03:34:19 pm »

Varkhal wasn't sure their solution was definitive; on a hand, it'd make sense the moles would be smart enough to understand that a path closed by one of their own instead of by human hands or a mudslide was off-limits for whatever reason, specially if they had a way of marking such areas, and on the other, he had no recollection of reading on such matters.

"Come on, we need to check with the healer just how often the moles attacked her garden." he told Sofia. In case an attack by the furry beasts should be just around the corner, they could wait and see to make sure things had worked just fine - he surely hoped they had. The young man didn't want to leave a job unfinished, but nor he wanted to go around fighting the mostly peaceful, if hungry, creatures.

Talk to the healer to check the frequency of the moles' raids on her herbs.
Spoiler: Varkhal Damhöln (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magical Style (click to show/hide)
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 19, 2014, 11:27:20 am »

Will visibly winces, watching the fight, before turning back to the recruit, speaking softly.

"I wasn't staring, was trying to see if I could learn anything. I'm Will, you?"

"Eh, sure you weren't. No worries. My name's Kael."

If he means 15 copper coins, accept and move out. If we're not moving out yet, ask if I can go into the sleeping areas on board. If yes, go there.
"Thym's beard! It's so damn difficult keeping these currencies straight. Yeah, 15 coppers. We'll be leaving immediately, if you're ready."

Meyath appologises and leaves the kitchen, trying to calm down before going into the other tent
Meyath found the same nurses, working to prepare the patients for the night.

Varkhal wasn't sure their solution was definitive; on a hand, it'd make sense the moles would be smart enough to understand that a path closed by one of their own instead of by human hands or a mudslide was off-limits for whatever reason, specially if they had a way of marking such areas, and on the other, he had no recollection of reading on such matters.

"Come on, we need to check with the healer just how often the moles attacked her garden." he told Sofia. In case an attack by the furry beasts should be just around the corner, they could wait and see to make sure things had worked just fine - he surely hoped they had. The young man didn't want to leave a job unfinished, but nor he wanted to go around fighting the mostly peaceful, if hungry, creatures.

Talk to the healer to check the frequency of the moles' raids on her herbs.
"They came around with fair regularity, must have been every second or every third day. Should see quickly if whatever you did stopped them."
My Area

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 19, 2014, 02:43:10 pm »

"They came around with fair regularity, must have been every second or every third day. Should see quickly if whatever you did stopped them."

"Is there any nearby inn we could spend the night in? I believe we should stay close by at least until we make sure our work here is done. And talking of certain places and their locations... Do you know where there's a second-hand bookstore around here?" Varkhal inquired the healer.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 19, 2014, 04:25:54 pm »

Quite ready, yes. Nevertheless, keep an eye out for treachery.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2014, 12:57:53 am »

Meyath looks around at the patients in this tent
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2014, 03:55:38 am »

Spirarbor

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Taking the finishing bite of her Fencing Fish, Cara thanked her parents for the meal and picked up her plate to wash it.

As she felt the cool water flow past her hands with the suds cleaning off the tiny bits of food, the wolfkin wondered on one thing. I wonder if I'm already that age. I don't mind having this much money--if only to get places and get...stuff. Mm, have to earn my keep someday. I wonder if I can start with the sea-ports. It'd be a nice sideline to knowing the Banshee!

The plates now cleansed and the dinner all finished, Cara tugged on her father's sleeve. "Father, when I wake up tomorrow, may I go to the ports to visit the followers of the Sleeping Banshee? I've been planning to make some coppers there too, so it'd be a nice trip for the road. I'll be back at dinner, though!"

Converse!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2014, 11:07:10 am »

"I'd say it's nice to meet you, but I'm honestly not sure it is."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 22, 2014, 07:32:28 pm »

Not having a whole ton to say, Sofia really just hangs behind and fiddles with her armor strap to try and attach it without sowing anything on.

Spoiler: Sofia Sala (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sofia's Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sofia's Portrait (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 26, 2014, 10:15:31 am »

"Is there any nearby inn we could spend the night in? I believe we should stay close by at least until we make sure our work here is done. And talking of certain places and their locations... Do you know where there's a second-hand bookstore around here?" Varkhal inquired the healer.
"The Blue Rose is a good one, near the docks you probably arrived at. As one might expect, it has a huge sign with a blue rose on it. There's actually a bookshop that's mostly on the way; it's more or less in the center of town. Head towards the port and take a right when you come to the well. You should be able to find it."

Meyath looks around at the patients in this tent
The patients in this tent were significantly worse looking. Many of them were bleeding heavily from recent wounds, or appeared to have infections in wounds. One man was getting an arm sawed off at the moment. Some of these patients were surrounded by flurries of activity as nurses tried to keep them alive, others were only receiving comforting words.

Taking the finishing bite of her Fencing Fish, Cara thanked her parents for the meal and picked up her plate to wash it.

As she felt the cool water flow past her hands with the suds cleaning off the tiny bits of food, the wolfkin wondered on one thing. I wonder if I'm already that age. I don't mind having this much money--if only to get places and get...stuff. Mm, have to earn my keep someday. I wonder if I can start with the sea-ports. It'd be a nice sideline to knowing the Banshee!

The plates now cleansed and the dinner all finished, Cara tugged on her father's sleeve. "Father, when I wake up tomorrow, may I go to the ports to visit the followers of the Sleeping Banshee? I've been planning to make some coppers there too, so it'd be a nice trip for the road. I'll be back at dinner, though!"

Converse!
"Sleepless Banshee sweetie. And of course. It seems like a fine adventurer."
"And I would love to hear what you find out. I know precious little about the tradition, and it seems quite interesting. I look forward to hearing about your experience with them, over dinner."

"I'd say it's nice to meet you, but I'm honestly not sure it is."
"Don't go gettin' all snooty on me now! We recruits, we gotta stick together."

Not having a whole ton to say, Sofia really just hangs behind and fiddles with her armor strap to try and attach it without sowing anything on.
Sofia easily attached the strap. Now she didn't need to keep her sword out and swing around as she walked.
My Area

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 26, 2014, 02:14:41 pm »

((Is time relative? As in, do we all sleep at the same time or...do we need to act to pass the time? :3))

Sleepless, sleeping. Seemed the same in concept, anyway.

"I'll go early in the morning then. It'd be nice to catch the sailors before the sun rises. Early goodnight ma, pa. Love you both!"

There was another reason Cara wanted to wake and leave before the common dawn. She wanted to look at the lighthouse in all its splendour from the harbor--something...she didn't think of doing until now, for some reason. The view was beautiful as it was from the grassy hillside overlooking the port and harbor, perhaps this was the cause of lack of distraction.

Go to sleep! Dream! :D
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11