Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction  (Read 17354 times)

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2014, 09:36:44 am »

((Looking for someone else.))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:30 am »

After the work with the rune was done, Varkhal took a moment appraise his work: what had once been just a strip of leather from his companion's armor had turned into a thin but durable, simple but elegant carrying strap so that Sofia could keep her sword secured on her back. Since the piece of leather gambeson had several layers underneath the surface, he had managed to make it look fairly pleasant to the eye, with simple swirling patterns drawn here and there through magic.

The young man nudged his aethen companion with his finger and gifted her the back strap before taking a look around to check the chamber they had found themselves into. "We should probably keep going and find out if they have a main living area. So far do you have a good idea to keep them away from the healer's hut that does not involve getting into a fight with them? Would you happen to be able to transmit more complex ideas to the moles, such as 'stay away from this area'?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2014, 06:22:10 pm »

"I don't do fancy, but I can make this stuff taste nice without that"

Meyath helps out in the kitchen
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2014, 07:16:12 pm »

Religions and deities?

"On religions--what, or which, clearly has a 'correct' or..." capable? inherent?
"foundational grasp on magic? Is it only the Korsha (from a book I read) or could it be practiced and developed? The use and understanding of magic, that is."

Continue conversing!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2014, 07:36:55 pm »

Religions and deities?

"On religions--what, or which, clearly has a 'correct' or..." capable? inherent?
"foundational grasp on magic? Is it only the Korsha (from a book I read) or could it be practiced and developed? The use and understanding of magic, that is."

Continue conversing!
"Oh the Korsha are a special case indeed. They perhaps understand magic the best, though they are reluctant to share whatever great secrets they know. They spend their time in solitude trying to connect with themselves and their magic. There is something about diligent introspection which is more effective of understand magic than any amount of the study that most of us devote ourselves to. Indeed, most all of their religions require this introspection of their members.

However, there are religions amongst other races which serves similar purposes. Many monastic orders encourage development of magical arts. Even those religions which seem to have little enough understanding of magic often have many members who can practice various magical traditions, though likely to lesser effect."
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2014, 09:14:05 pm »

"Interesting..."

Cara had done a lot of introspection in her past--usually due to the loneliness, yet also due to how her thoughts...existed to her.

"Are there any major...um, religions on Spirarbor or this whole island? I'd like to meet them. Oh! Also can music be utilized as a form of magic or...erm, the output?...of magic?"

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2014, 10:27:08 pm »

"Interesting..."

Cara had done a lot of introspection in her past--usually due to the loneliness, yet also due to how her thoughts...existed to her.

"Are there any major...um, religions on Spirarbor or this whole island? I'd like to meet them. Oh! Also can music be utilized as a form of magic or...erm, the output?...of magic?"
"The music question is easier to answer, for me at least. Many different magics have different ways of focusing; and this seems to be a required characteristic. Perhaps because if you were doing all sorts of magical things with hardly a thought all manner of mayhem could be released if you weren't diligent. Maybe those traditions even exist! Oh it would be so exciting... But I get carried away. Music is not an uncommon focus. It is in many ways more versatile than others, perhaps excluding speech. Gestures and the like get burdensome quite quickly, while music always seems easy to work with, once some level of mastery has been obtained.

As for the religions, there is a semi-monastic religion that is prevalent amongst sailors, and so inhabits many of these ports as well. They worship the Just Lord and the Mistress of the Depths. Many ships will have a dedicated clergy member on board, though they do not set foot on land, so you would need to get on a ship to speak directly with them. There are a number of laymen on land though, and they will frequently board ships just after they dock to seek religious advice. The other religion of the area that I am aware of worships the Sleepless Banshee. Theirs... is an interesting one. They don't say much of their practices to outsiders, but I know its a terribly confusing religion that tries to reconcile attributing their Goddess with terrible characteristics, but her ultimate aim being promoting enlightenment... They are an introspective bunch, as per my earlier comments. If you get talking to them, try to stick it out past the whole Goddess of Nightmares and Destruction bit.

Those major two aside, there undoubtably exist a myriad of smaller religious groups here, of which I am not aware. I am neither a scholar of religion, nor religious myself."
My Area

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2014, 01:52:28 pm »

Interested in discovering if the moles had a "living area" and were structured into a colony, the young man began to look around for clues while Sofia handled the giant clawed beast - she was surely better than him at that.

Varkhal shines the torch's light upon the different entrances to see whether he can estimate their length, and he also looks for any trails indicating if any is more frequently used by the giant moles.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2014, 07:43:59 pm »

After flashing a brief grin to Varkhal after he gave her the strap, Sofia shrugged and scratched her head, in a rare show of hesitation. "Iiii dunno. I can't make animals smarter, after all, but... hey, maybe I don't need to... ah, well, might as well try!" Looking at the mole, Sofia put her hand on her head and lightly fluttered her wings as she thought for a bit. Then snapping and grinning, she began to try and communicate to the mole, attempting to tell it that the area around the healer's hut was the territory of another like them.

Try to get the moles to stay away by informing them that the garden is the territory of another.

Spoiler: Sofia Sala (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sofia's Magic (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sofia's Portrait (click to show/hide)

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2014, 08:14:15 pm »

Interested in discovering if the moles had a "living area" and were structured into a colony, the young man began to look around for clues while Sofia handled the giant clawed beast - she was surely better than him at that.

Varkhal shines the torch's light upon the different entrances to see whether he can estimate their length, and he also looks for any trails indicating if any is more frequently used by the giant moles.
[INTe:8 +2 vs ?] The trail straight ahead appears to have the most amount of use, judging by the depth of the marks of the animal's tails. At least, that's what he thought. Having little enough experience at tracking Varkhal could only guess at the significance of what he saw. He could identify no difference in length though, the light disappeared before the tunnels curved.

After flashing a brief grin to Varkhal after he gave her the strap, Sofia shrugged and scratched her head, in a rare show of hesitation. "Iiii dunno. I can't make animals smarter, after all, but... hey, maybe I don't need to... ah, well, might as well try!" Looking at the mole, Sofia put her hand on her head and lightly fluttered her wings as she thought for a bit. Then snapping and grinning, she began to try and communicate to the mole, attempting to tell it that the area around the healer's hut was the territory of another like them.

Try to get the moles to stay away by informing them that the garden is the territory of another.
[INTu:17 +3 +1 vs 19] While the ideas she was trying to communicate seemed well above the creature's knowledge, Sofia was shocked to find that the creature appeared to understand. To confirm this understanding the creature began knocking down some of the dirt around the entrance to the tunnel leading back to town. It nudged Sofia through the tunnel, and that was when she realized the idea wasn't as complex as she thought it might be. The animal thought it was Sofia's territory, that she was trying to claim it. And the mole relinquished that area to the winged thing before it.
My Area

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2014, 08:58:30 pm »

Varkhal couldn't help but just stare almost incredulously as the mole began to mess with the entrance to the tunnel they had just come through as well as nudging Sofia through it. Though he had an idea of what was happening, he wasn't sure why it was happening. "Sofia, what did you just tell this mole?" he asked, staring down curiously at his small companion. It was nearly too good to be true in case she had already solved their case with such efficiency.
>Yes?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2014, 10:33:43 am »

Quite pleasantly surprised, Sofia let a large and bright grin creep onto her face. Turning triumphantly to Varkhal, she informed him that: "I told the mole that the town area was our territory! It was kind enough to give us the territory!" The grin remained on her face as she curtsied a little to the mole in a show of gratitude. She flapped her wings in a little final show of victory, too, before she turned and walked over to Varkhal. "And that's that!"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2014, 10:47:36 am »

"That was very clever!" Varkhal exclaimed with barely disguised enthusiasm, smiling right back at her, satisfied with the results of the Aethen's diplomatic efforts. "How about the other moles, do you think they will also get the message?" he then asked before briefly wondering whether they'd need a way to mark territory in order to ensure the other giant beasts' obedience to the boundary she had established. A mental image of him rubbing Sofia against the walls to leave her scent on the tunnel passed through his thoughts, making him chuckle.
>Yes?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2014, 09:38:11 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Semi-monastic religion aboard our ships, and then there's this other one I am naturally curious about.
This is interesting.

Cara pondered the matter, unconsciously rubbing her nose with the back of her thumb in contemplation.

After a while, she looked at the man and beamed at him with a cheery look on her face.

"Thank you kind sir!"

She then hugged him, knowing that this was the usual way humans thanked each other.

Offer payment if he needs it as thanks, perhaps?
Then make my way to the docks! I would like to get to know the religions of the passing ships--especially if they're taking a rid-

Waitaminute.
Dinner!

Go home and tell parents on my plans to get on a ship and learn more about the local religions! Mention the Sleepless Banshee! :D

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2014, 11:47:51 am »

Post to get things moving: try to remember (Int check, I suppose) if the rest of the giant moles would get the message through the actions of this one.

Then return to the healer's hut with Sofia under my arm. If the journey is slow/slowed for some reason, write another of the same rune on the remaining leather strip, this time to create a strap for Varkhal's spear.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11