Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Peasantry and Sand, my favorite things next to baby catapult.  (Read 1051 times)

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Hawaiian Shirts are amazing.
    • View Profile

I ALWAYS do the Peasantry challenge when I play (You start with nothing, no items, animals, or skills in dwarves)
Usually since I also love embarking near towers, I can get invaded before the first caravan arrives. On the off chance the towers are like: This guy is chill enough being right next to our tower, I will trade off the hundreds of crafts I made my plantation of wood craftsman create (also with the fast regrowing trees, I'm not sure who to be afraid of, 1000s of logs or goblins) then trade off for leather, a pick and some plump helmets.
At this very point, I get the first stone, I immediately start making hundreds of charcoal and furnaces.
Right after that, I train wrestlers at the least, while the others trade from wood craftsmen plantation to a glass furnace plantation.
If no-one knows why I love my glass; Serrated Disks.
You know, the trap piece that counts as one weapon that does 3 strikes at once? Also how weapon traps can fit 10 of those?

Also for the fact that wood and sand are pretty much infinite, you can save your precious stones if you so desire. So many disks, vials, etc...
Long story short: You can substitute so many things with something so simple. Also I have scared off about 10 sieges so far with a bridge of hundreds of Green Glass Serrated Disks.
(Glass can be used for almost everything stone can, but the fact you need stone to get it otherwise, it just matters on if you love traps more or metal... metal is preferred by all.)

Love the disks, Love the sand, love the spike pits you can make underneath a death bridge in case they try to dodge.
Don't get me started on how many times I sit and wait for sieges because I want an enemy soldier to grow some balls and try to cross the death pit without getting afraid and never touching the fort.
Flaming Baby Catapult

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peasantry and Sand, my favorite things next to baby catapult.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 11:18:07 pm »

peasant challenge + weapon traps seems a odd combo of gameplay values to entertain at the same time. "I'm gonna be super hardcore and roam into the wilderness with no knowledge and my bare hands" but then also "I'm gonna use the jankiest, brokennest part of the game 10 minutes later" merhhh...

I mean, it's probably near impossible to do that near towers without weapon traps, but you could always just not embark next to so many towers.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:27:05 pm »

Glass is cool, but I usually find the whole peasant challenge just a bit too frustrating to play for any reason other than novelty.

I mean, it's probably near impossible to do that near towers without weapon traps, but you could always just not embark next to so many towers.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 11:28:39 pm »

The game is too easy to me without undead and starting with nothing XD
I mean, I can always just train all the dwarves in crossbows with wooden bolts as well.
Flaming Baby Catapult

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 11:32:55 pm »

Indeed. That's how I learned the military system, by doing a no-points (Peasantry) embark and fighting off armies of thieving keas with a crossbowman. And got slaughtered by a Kobold ambush.

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:37:28 pm »

For me it was a Demon horde mixed with a forgotten beast, a bronze colossus, and a siege.
Flaming Baby Catapult

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 11:39:22 pm »

Isn't this game such merry Hell Fun?

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 11:40:38 pm »

Always, and forever will be.
Flaming Baby Catapult

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 11:42:53 pm »

I tried a peasant embark in 40.03, but forgot about designating burrows, and the plants I kept coming up to weren't edibles, and it just got frustrating because one of my people fell out of a tree and drowned in the pond it landed in.

So you definitely have to be more careful in this release, or your people will get reallllly dumb.

HawaiianJon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 11:46:51 pm »

Do what I do: Have 3 dwarves cutting trees, 3 doing the planting, one doing all the extras.
Then build a house, set a meeting zone inside said house, proceed with normal gameplay until trade depot is occupied.
Also just stick with the old plants until you can actually figure out what can be eaten and what can't.
Flaming Baby Catapult

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 11:55:07 pm »

If you ask me (not that you did, or even would), pretty much the #1 thing that Dwarf Fortress doesn't need is increased challenge in the beginning. I mean, sure, go ahead & play whatever starting conditions you want, but IMHO, that just makes the abandonment curve--which was already steep enough--even more so.

A: "Welp, we've lasted all the way through 2 years. Guess we can chalk this up as another successful fort."
B: "Yup. Nothing can really touch us now, might as well start a new game. Hey, want to try an Evil biome next?"
A: "Ah, sure, I've got 15 minutes to burn, that should be enough time to basically beat the game."
B: "Cool. Starting worldgen now."
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 12:12:41 am »

If you ask me (not that you did, or even would), pretty much the #1 thing that Dwarf Fortress doesn't need is increased challenge in the beginning. I mean, sure, go ahead & play whatever starting conditions you want, but IMHO, that just makes the abandonment curve--which was already steep enough--even more so.

A: "Welp, we've lasted all the way through 2 years. Guess we can chalk this up as another successful fort."
B: "Yup. Nothing can really touch us now, might as well start a new game. Hey, want to try an Evil biome next?"
A: "Ah, sure, I've got 15 minutes to burn, that should be enough time to basically beat the game."
B: "Cool. Starting worldgen now."
True that.

Game definitely needs more stuff like random plagues and crop blights (assuming that crops were first adjusted to be even remotely challenging first, of course) and surprise tunneling invaders and crap like that.

Perturb the equilibirum on an ongoing basis.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 12:43:37 am »

There is a mod out there (though I can't find a link) that gives migrants a chance to arrive with an RL infectious/genetic disease, some of them quite nasty. I played with it for a while and added new ones based on the existing ones, and upped the frequencies a bit, and I was never really short on fun. I would think I was safe, then the Spanish Flu would resurface, or the mayor with high blood pressure would have an aneurysm.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 01:05:55 am »

I actually just went ahead and made an entire big sugegstions thread

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141230.0

Feel free to add ideas.