Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The sacred wereiguana, and thirst  (Read 2327 times)

Cagedwalnut

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I've never found what exactly the Rock was cooking
    • View Profile
The sacred wereiguana, and thirst
« on: July 24, 2014, 03:48:11 pm »

I've finally stopped being afraid of fortress mode, 3 fortresses in, first one succumbed to insanity, second one hit an aquifer and everyone drowned.
The one i'm in now has absolutely nothing to drink. I'm actually very spooked. I tell my drinkmasterdwarf to brew drinks, but then after i leave him for a while nothing happens and everyone is just drinking stagnant water, and since winter just came, I can't use my still pump.
Also, my gemcutter went in a strange mood, ran away, then an wereiguana slaughtered a few children and one of my recruits before we beat him to death.
Thoughts?
Also no one likes to build the gemcutters workshop.
I haven't been very efficient, so my fortress is quite small, and I only just installed bedrooms after a few seasons.
Thoughts on how to improve?
:^)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
Re: The sacred wereiguana, and thirst
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 04:03:42 pm »

Asign dwarfs to smooth your rooms, if they're made out of stone, as this will raise give them happy thoughts about dinning or sleeping in a Good/Very Good/Legendary room. Also, make sure you have barrels/pots and brewable plants (Plump helmet, pig tail, sweet corn...), so you can brew. And if no one want to build the gemcutter shop, you should asign someone to be a gemcutter! (And remove the hauling, as this will slow down the process). Plus, i guess you SHOULDN'T be gemcutting now, as this will attract more migrants to screw your fortress food and drink! Wealth is good.. but it is BAD, no, i mean, VERY BAD. Do the things i said and your fortress should be fine! Or maybe not...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:46:02 pm by Magnumcannon »

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 05:30:13 pm »

Asign dwarfs to smooth your rooms, if they're made out of stone, as this will raise give them happy thoughts about dinning or sleeping in a Good/Very Good/Legendary room. Also, make sure you have barrels/pots and brewable plants (Plump helmet, pig tail, sweet corn...), so you can brew. And if no one want to build the gemcutter shop, you should asign someone to be a gemcutter! (And remove the hauling, as this will slow down the process). Plus, i guess you SHOULDN'T be gemcutting now, as this will attract more migrants to screw your fortress food and drink! Wealth is good.. but it is BAD, no, i mean, VERY BAD. Do the things i said and your fortress should be fine! Or maybe not...
I'd be pretty fuckin' impressed if you get a "legendary" room simply by smoothing.

Also, my gemcutter went in a strange mood, ran away...
...Also no one likes to build the gemcutters workshop.
Well dat dere is yer problem.
Workshops normally will be built by someone with a labor associated with the workshop.
Since your gemcutter is in a strange mood/ran away, you probably don't have anyone who does gemcutting, and nobody will thus construct the workshop, assign another to gemcutting.

On another note, if your starting out, you should probably have a river in your embark, as rivers will provide both infinite water, and infinite fish to eat.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:08:57 pm »

Just smooth the room and put some statues, and TA-DA, you got yourself a legendary dinning room!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:28:50 pm »

Or, y'know, just put statues.  It's probably the statues that are adding significant value in your case.  It's pretty easy to skyrocket a room's value by engraving especially if high quality, or via expensive furniture, but it takes a lot of space or some inherently valuable material to get legendary from smoothing alone.

Cagedwalnut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 01:17:22 am »

So the answer to life is smoothing rooms?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 03:21:27 am »

So the answer to life is smoothing rooms?

Public works. That or war, that's what real life governments do.

Problem with fort mode is that you cannot really export war, you need to make it in your own backyard. So public works is the answer. Plus it prevents people from conspiring, I mean socializing too much.

Wumpi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:37:09 am »

For your brewing issue, is your brewer cancelling the job, or just not going to it? If it's being cancelled, it could be that you either do not have an accessible barrel of brewable foods like mushrooms, or that you have no empty barrels to put the booze in. I like to make a small stockpile around my still that holds nothing but brewable plants, and another that holds nothing but empty barrels. Seems my brewer complains less this way.
If he's not getting around to brewing, make sure it's his only labor. Additionally, dwarves will sometimes get a traffic jam on their needs. Most can tell you the frustration of a broker who is hungry, thirsty, sleepy, and ready to party all at the same time. If you're really desperate, you can dig down and pierce the caverns for some water. As always, the miners are the most reliable dwarves.

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 10:30:30 am »

On another note, if your starting out, you should probably have a river in your embark, as rivers will provide both infinite water, and infinite fish to eat.

Nope, you can fish out a river, it takes a while, and requires really overfishing, but if you don't pay attention to the number of fishermen you have you can obliterate the fish population in a couple of years. taking a break for a season seems to keep it safe though.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 02:37:49 pm »

Well, a fort can survive entirely on farming, at least mine did. But of course, there has to be a variety of food...like eggs! I find fishing useless, as i can start a underground farm and get a lot more.

BONUS ROUND: My pic is spookier than your.

Cagedwalnut

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 06:42:45 pm »

If he's not getting around to brewing, make sure it's his only labor.
Got it fixed, turned out my brewer was destroyed by the wereiguana.