Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Very demanding Duchess  (Read 1146 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Very demanding Duchess
« on: July 24, 2014, 03:19:30 pm »

My Duchess simply soes not stop making production demands mandates. There is always at least one mandate active, and usually two. When a mandate is fullfilled, it usually won't even take a dwarf week before it is replaced.

On the upside, this constant demand for large gems, and short swords will have my glass maker, gem cutter, and weapon smith up to legendary in no time!

What puzzles me, is that I can't really find any traits in the Duchess' profile that would warrant such extremely demanding conduct.

On the contrary, I even picked her as expedition leader, and for baron promotion, because she seemed to have the least immodest set of traits of the starting seven. "she cleaves to an austere lifestyle, disdaining even minor immodesties in appearance", "she isn't given to flights of fancy", and "she doesn't focus on material goods"
http://puu.sh/apxsK/b9f0821608.png

Anyone else encountered significantly more demanding nobles than usual?

EDIT: Yay! First prison sentence. It's not easy keeping up with large gem demands. Good thing my dwarves love being in prison. I hope the game doesn't bug out when my imprisoned military dwarf switches from civvie to military when his training schedule activation kicks in.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 06:47:56 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very demaning Duchess
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:40:31 pm »

I'd advise you to arrange an unfortunate accident for this demanding noble. Or if that's not complicated enough for you, you could retire the fort, create a dwarven adventurer, find an evil biome with weather that causes dizzyness, bring it to the fortress and expose the duchess to the contaminant in such a way that she's constantly dizzy, which supposedly stops nobles from giving mandates.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »

Is giving the Sheriff / Captain of the Guard / Hammer the dwarven equivalent of a wiffle bat no longer a viable strategy in the new version?
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:18:38 pm »

If you wait until the mandate (I assume you mean a mandate) has turned red before fulfilling it, then at least you slow her down.  She won't issue a new mandate until you've fulfilled (or failed) the previous one, so you have some control over the pace.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very demanding Duchess
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 07:05:06 pm »

On the contrary, I even picked her as expedition leader, and for baron promotion, because she seemed to have the least immodest set of traits of the starting seven. "she cleaves to an austere lifestyle, disdaining even minor immodesties in appearance", "she isn't given to flights of fancy", and "she doesn't focus on material goods"
http://puu.sh/apxsK/b9f0821608.png

A "good" noble lacks item preferences (meaning absolutely no mandates.) You'll still get occasional demands, but they aren't nearly as obnoxious.

There really should be a "cooldown" timeout after a nobles mandate is satisfied before they make another request.

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 07:37:51 pm »

I'd actually created a custom role in Therapist for finding ideal noble candidates...
Assides from some materials requirements (avoid dwarves who like pricey things), I have:

Anger -1
Anxiety -1
Assertiveness -1
Cheerfulness +1
Cooperation +1
Depression -1
Excitement Seeking -1
Friendliness +1
Imagination -1
Modesty +1
Sympathy +1
---
Basically, Happy, unimaginative Dwarves that seek neither conflict nor adventure.

I've not played much in large forts (I tend to lose interest when I accrue goblinite faster than I can dispose of it), so I've only had two forts with barons for any length of time (one for years...) and neither generated any mandates.

But that's all version 34.11.  With the changes to the brain (and currently the lack of a Dwarven Therapist to psychobabelize Dwarves in bulk...) this may need to work differently in 40
//Torrenal

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 08:26:01 pm »

I've not played much in large forts (I tend to lose interest when I accrue goblinite faster than I can dispose of it), so I've only had two forts with barons for any length of time (one for years...) and neither generated any mandates.

You don't need a really large fort for a baron. I only had population 41 when I got the barony offer from the liaison. I still only have 45 dwarves, I don't even have a mayor (need pop 50 for that I think), yet my baroness became a duchess already.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 10:02:02 pm »

are you killing off your dwarves alot?  seriously I cant ever seem to be below 80 dwarves by the time the second caravan arrives and I even have the option of geting a noble.  Never had a situation where I didnt even have a mayor befor barrony was offered as I usualy get a blob of 30ish for that third migration wave.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2014, 10:22:00 pm »

Low population cap. I try to set mine before embark, just so it's done.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 02:38:46 am »

Indeed, low pop cap. I like generation forts, slowly breeding up in population