Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Selecting reclaim site  (Read 754 times)

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Selecting reclaim site
« on: July 24, 2014, 01:03:45 am »

I'm sure I'm doing something obviously wrong here, but... I decided to try reclaiming a historical fortress. Worldgen goes fine and when I hit "R" I have four potential "Ruins". I can reclaim the first one in the list but for the life of me I can't figure out how to scroll through the list to pick a different one.

I'm playing a completely vanilla version of the "Dwarf Fortress 40_04 Starter Pack r2" with whatever the default key-bindings are. I would have assumed that the arrow keys would move me up and down the list, but I also tried umkh/UMKH and ,/. and </> just in case.

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: and literally 30 seconds later I figure it out. "-/+" (that's minus and shift equals). Obviously. So dwarf.

Probably worth leaving this here anyway. I googled selecting reclaim site several times and found nothing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:06:28 am by frightlever »

Dzedajus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Selecting reclaim site
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 09:30:21 am »

At first its a bit tricky to figure out all key binds, looking at set key binds list doesn't help much too.
After playing some time I just automatically press keys to designate and build without thinking too much compared to how i looked for 5 minutes to build some wall or farmers workshop.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:34:47 am »

Half the menus in the game use Up/Down arrows to navigate, and the other half use +/- to navigate.  After a while you know which menus use  which keys, and you don't even think about it any more.

There are situations where Up, Down, + and - all do things at the same time, which is a valid reason for the abundance of keys.  One example off the top of my head is looking (k) at barrels full of stuff.  Up/Down arrows move the X to a different barrel, while +/- scroll the selection menu within the barrel you're currently on.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 08:36:37 am »

I've been playing on and off for about five years but every time I go back it takes me a little while to redevelop the muscle memory in my fingers.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:26 am »

The DF starter pack has different keybinds. If you want the keybinds to match what the game is instructing you to do, you're best going to the launcher for the pack and on the main tab, select "Vanilla DF" for your keybinds and then "Load".

Your controls should match what the game tells you now.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 04:58:17 am »

are you writing up your reclaim?  I'd love to hear how one goes, I kinda want to try this but dont think I have the military side of DF down well enough yet..