Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC :: We're off!  (Read 43227 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC :: We're off!
« Reply #285 on: July 28, 2014, 09:41:02 pm »

If you can handle it and it's complete, go ahead.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 28, 2014, 09:56:57 pm »

I will admit that the double-half template makes me more wary than anything else that has been presented, even more than the other arctic kobold with a quality fly speed. Though at least he isn't riding the monitor lizard.

Okay, after reviewing the sheet again, I think I might have subconsciously suppressed memory of it. I probably wouldn't have allowed the dual half-race templates if I'd noticed the sheet when I was choosing characters, and I did let it slip by me, but I'm seriously concerned over the effect it would have on the party balance, considering that even the other people who took advantage of the free LA were at least somewhat restrained or are silly and aren't as ripe for abuse.

I'm really, really not okay with the Half-Vampire template, especially combined with the Half-Fey one. Never mind that I'm already stretching things with eight players, I don't want to deal with a combination like that that is going to force me to design encounters around preventing it from constantly overshadowing half the party. I'm going to flat-out disallow the character, sorry.

Though to be perfectly honest if I'd noticed nine sheets I would have just drawn the line at six players.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:21:12 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 28, 2014, 10:19:55 pm »

8 is enough.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: July 28, 2014, 10:55:02 pm »

I will admit that the double-half template makes me more wary than anything else that has been presented, even more than the other arctic kobold with a quality fly speed. Though at least he isn't riding the monitor lizard.

Okay, after reviewing the sheet again, I think I might have subconsciously suppressed memory of it. I probably wouldn't have allowed the dual half-race templates if I'd noticed the sheet when I was choosing characters, and I did let it slip by me, but I'm seriously concerned over the effect it would have on the party balance, considering that even the other people who took advantage of the free LA were at least somewhat restrained or are silly and aren't as ripe for abuse.

I'm really, really not okay with the Half-Vampire template, especially combined with the Half-Fey one. Never mind that I'm already stretching things with eight players, I don't want to deal with a combination like that that is going to force me to design encounters around preventing it from constantly overshadowing half the party. I'm going to flat-out disallow the character, sorry.
Ok, given the earlier comments about "Rolep was expressing valid concern, considering that the things presented actually have been remarkably restrained" in regards to my LA use, the fact that you buffed primary casters, especially Wizards and Sorcerers, the fact that you seem to be suggesting that Mundanes should just put their LA into Attribute boosts... Do you just not want us playing non-casters?
Because that's fine, I can go roll up a Cleric, Wizard or Druid (or hell, a Bard) right now and we can all have a fun game of "just how badly can you screw over the world with magic" (my current favourite being "this is the secret lever that opens the giant dam I filled up with my infinite Create Water Orisons, pull it and everything in the Vale dies), but if that is what you want, it would probably be better if you just told us upfront and saved us all the pretense at balance.
Or alternatively, if you seriously think that getting +4 to strength (so, +2 to attack and damage rolls, swim, jump, and a few other skill checks) comes anywhere near putting a Fighter on the same tier as a Core Wizard, let alone your houseruled Wizard with one of the most unobtrusive GM checks to their power basically pulled away for free...
HAH.HAH.HAH.HAH.HAH.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:58:28 pm by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 28, 2014, 11:00:51 pm »

I think he buffed casters in response to my saying 'You made non-casters too attractive!' which was meant as a joke.

I think he just wants a fun campaign.

Hell, when I run a campaign, I'm probably not gonna give much, if any, Level Adjustment, and just give some of the lower tiers more ability points to spend. And buff some of the classes directly. I prefer a 'nerf casters' approach to a 'buff warriors' one.

For example: Fuck Time Stop. And Celerity. Fuck 'em. At the very least if you use them too much, you can end up calling some very powerful Inevitables down on your ass.

EDIT: also, considered the only real restriction on wizard's spell knowledge is gold anyway...Collegiate Wizard really doesn't make too much of a difference, in the end.

Also, consider that arcane casters tend to be absolute shit at early levels. Yes, they can be gods late game. But a first level wizard doesn't compare to a first level fighter with or without houserules.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:02:31 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 28, 2014, 11:03:30 pm »

The caster buffs were primarily meant to make level-one casters more viable. The ability score bonuses are meant as a way to use leftover LA primarily, rather than as a prime means of buffing fighters. Case in point, one can use 4 LA to get far more than +4 strength with a race change.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 28, 2014, 11:09:37 pm »

The caster buffs were primarily meant to make level-one casters more viable. The ability score bonuses are meant as a way to use leftover LA primarily, rather than as a prime means of buffing fighters. Case in point, one can use 4 LA to get far more than +4 strength with a race change.
5 LA, whilst being able to say 'fuck off' to Racial HD, equals: +16 Str, +6 Dex, +6 Con, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wis, +2 Charisma, +7 Natural Armor Bonus, 50 ft move speed, fly speed, Large size, breath weapon, free mount for mounted combat purposes, and some shenanigans based around being able to do mounted combat things without actually needing a mount.

Half-Dragon Centaurs are amazing.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 28, 2014, 11:10:31 pm »

That would be an entirely valid argument if actually using that LA to do that didn't have the DM flipping out about how it's ruining party balance.

EDIT: also, considered the only real restriction on wizard's spell knowledge is gold anyway...Collegiate Wizard really doesn't make too much of a difference, in the end.
Also, consider that arcane casters tend to be absolute shit at early levels. Yes, they can be gods late game. But a first level wizard doesn't compare to a first level fighter with or without houserules.
Hahahahaha.
Dice, you are being taken for a ride. Have fun with this game. Bye.
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 28, 2014, 11:12:16 pm »

Hm... I'm a little worried now. Still... I'm sure Rule 0 will be in effect to make this game good.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: July 28, 2014, 11:13:01 pm »

I am presuming a basic ability to get the gist of speech in common, for convenience sake.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 28, 2014, 11:14:39 pm »

Alright, now if Harbinger's done being rude to the DM....

Oso can be kindof a dick, for the record.

He can also be kindof mildly suicidal, for the record.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 28, 2014, 11:18:37 pm »

It was actually mostly because it made me consider the usually-ignored aspect of the Linear Fighter, Quadratic Wizard duality when the Fighters also have extra stuff -- that works out when you're at 20th level, less so at 1st level.

But yes, the massive list of fixes and buffs to martial classes was intended to make people not play martial classes. After all, the entire party is composed of casters, right?

Incidentally, the single thing that concerned me more than anything else about that character was the at-will Charm Person in addition to a laundry list of other benefits. Which is, incidentally, Harbinger, exactly the sort of derailing mechanism that you were complaining about. That, and the wizards you're complaining about? Nobody is playing a wizard.

Christ, the ability score bonus is there because some people don't want to abuse templates but also don't want to be irrelevant. Notice that I didn't say a word about templates until this came up. If you are unhappy that I'm trying to keep a relatively high-power campaign fun for all of the players in the party, that's your opinion, and that's also too bad. I'm really trying to not be a jackass about this, but seriously? I could have just done what every other campaign recently launched here is doing and disallowed all LA, restricted everyone to core material, &c. I suppose that would have been the easy way out, and maybe in retrospect I should have if people are going to start complaining the moment I apply Rule 0 for a legitimate concern.

Or maybe you're just an argumentative dick. That works for me, seven players will be easier to manage, especially if one of them isn't going to be starting fights with other people in OOC. I'm not going to complain overmuch about nixing an all-rollplay no-roleplay character.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 28, 2014, 11:23:05 pm »

Oh, you're probably not going to like that I can get an at-will Charm at 6th level, then, Dice.

It can only affect one person at a time, though! So it's balanced that way! I think...

I liked the ability to use LA for something other than actual LA. It means you can make a human for the bonus feat/skills/fluff without becoming irrelevant as a warrior-archetype class.

*sigh* Sir Trots-a-Lot, you will never come to be....

Side note: Would people like Pathfinder more than heavily homebrewed 3.5?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 28, 2014, 11:25:11 pm »

Side note: Would people like Pathfinder more than heavily homebrewed 3.5?
Personally, I prefer 3.5e. It's more heavily familiar, and there's more material in general.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 28, 2014, 11:27:30 pm »

I do not have a Pathfinder thing so I'd prefer 3.5 but if others wanna do Pathfinder feel free.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33