Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC :: We're off!  (Read 43198 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC/pregame [0/6]
« Reply #240 on: July 26, 2014, 08:26:50 pm »

Or, you know, more generalized magic in the sense that with magic being as prevalent in the Vale as it is, I find it unlikely that bread wouldn't be able to get an enchantment(all food, really) that helps it keep longer for a long-ass time.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 26, 2014, 10:00:21 pm »

So Dice, what Skill and DC would be needed to make a Cart, Sled or Wagon?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 26, 2014, 10:26:20 pm »

Oh, yes, and can you use a one-handed weapon in either hand for two-weapon fighting without further penalties without taking Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 26, 2014, 11:43:33 pm »

Oh, yes, and can you use a one-handed weapon in either hand for two-weapon fighting without further penalties without taking Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting?
No. That's a real improvement rather than a feat tax.

So Dice, what Skill and DC would be needed to make a Cart, Sled or Wagon?

Something like Profession (Carpenter) or similar. I'd eyeball it at DC 16 for a two-wheeled cart, DC 20 for a sled on runners (note that that's not going to do so hot off of snow/ice), and DC 25 for a four-wheeled wagon.

Mythweavers is down right now, at least for me. :x

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 26, 2014, 11:46:43 pm »

Yep.

How hard would building a wooden box be?

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 26, 2014, 11:59:22 pm »

Yep.

How hard would building a wooden box be?
5 or 10, maybe? Depends on how fancy you want the box. There's a table on Page 71 of the Player Handbook.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 27, 2014, 12:22:55 am »

Okay, time for list of random questions for Dice:

1: I am capable of rearing Monitor Lizards if I take 10 on doing so.  If I backstory "happening upon" some Monitor Lizard eggs, can I rear one as a pet/labour animal?
2: I am capable of crafting Carts, and in theory crafting Rafts.  Can I combine the designs and have a water-capable cart?  Can I also change the size of the Cart/Raft to be a smaller size, reducing weight and capacity by 75%?
3: If I wanted to rear multiple animals, would I be able to buy eggs of animals?  Say a Phynxkin egg?  My gold limits are ~150gp.  Would such an egg fall under that?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 27, 2014, 12:24:30 am »

1: I am capable of rearing Monitor Lizards if I take 10 on doing so.  If I backstory "happening upon" some Monitor Lizard eggs, can I rear one as a pet/labour animal?
2: I am capable of crafting Carts, and in theory crafting Rafts.  Can I combine the designs and have a water-capable cart?  Can I also change the size of the Cart/Raft to be a smaller size, reducing weight and capacity by 75%?
3: If I wanted to rear multiple animals, would I be able to buy eggs of animals?  Say a Phynxkin egg?  My gold limits are ~150gp.  Would such an egg fall under that?

Isn't a raft/cart just a barge?

I'm pretty sure that's just a barge.

Also, I really doubt magical animal eggs cost less than thousands of gp in most cases. Look at how expensive griffin eggs are.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 27, 2014, 12:34:07 am »

Also, I really doubt magical animal eggs cost less than thousands of gp in most cases. Look at how expensive griffin eggs are.

Cost of a Barge is 6000gp.  Compared to Raft at 100gp and Cart at 15gp.  Barges are prohibitively expensive at this size, and as far as I know there's no suggested rules for reducing cost when reducing size for vehicles.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 27, 2014, 12:36:40 am »

Most Barges don't have wheels, and they're a lot bigger.
Also, neither Monitor Lizards nor Phynxkin are Magical Beasts. Indeed, the Phynxkin is a 1HD animal that makes perfect thematic sense for Kobolds to keep around and breed (since a Dire Weasel would be too expensive T.T)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 12:44:13 am by Harbingerjm »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 27, 2014, 01:25:31 am »

A raft pretty much is a floating cart, for all intents and purposes. It's a fairly small transport vehicle that isn't capable of independent propulsion. On a more practical note, the only notable body of water you're liable to be in contact with is already well-traveled enough for transport to be cheap.

Non-Druid/Ranger animal companion/arcane caster familiar animals are, like many other things, part of your WBL insofar as that they are material assets (as opposed to personal keepsakes/plot hooks). You might be able to acquire fertile eggs of various species from time to time, but anything more exotic than foodstock is going to be costly -- Phynxkin, for example, are pack hunters which conceal their nests and tend to hunt travelers naturally, not to mention that even trying to find them would entail going fairly deep into the forest; most people wouldn't risk that for actual treasure, much less eggs of untamed animals.

That said, I can probably do a rough extrapolation from the cost of a Psuedodragon egg, which according to MM text is apparently listed at 10k gp. So maybe 250gp for a fertile Monitor Lizard egg, considering that it's a nonmagical animal but still a significant threat to the average joe trying to get some eggs to sell. More for a Phynxkin egg because of the reasons listed above. Something like a common, non-venomous snake/lizard egg would be cheaper, and a fowl egg markedly cheaper than that.

All other things aside, think long and hard about whether you want to invest money in something which requires you to spend long stretches of time in civilization doing a job before it shows appreciable results -- if it ever does.

3. Run Resize Enable

TealNinja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 27, 2014, 01:46:08 am »

A raft pretty much is a floating cart, for all intents and purposes. It's a fairly small transport vehicle that isn't capable of independent propulsion. On a more practical note, the only notable body of water you're liable to be in contact with is already well-traveled enough for transport to be cheap.

Non-Druid/Ranger animal companion/arcane caster familiar animals are, like many other things, part of your WBL insofar as that they are material assets (as opposed to personal keepsakes/plot hooks). You might be able to acquire fertile eggs of various species from time to time, but anything more exotic than foodstock is going to be costly -- Phynxkin, for example, are pack hunters which conceal their nests and tend to hunt travelers naturally, not to mention that even trying to find them would entail going fairly deep into the forest; most people wouldn't risk that for actual treasure, much less eggs of untamed animals.

That said, I can probably do a rough extrapolation from the cost of a Psuedodragon egg, which according to MM text is apparently listed at 10k gp. So maybe 250gp for a fertile Monitor Lizard egg, considering that it's a nonmagical animal but still a significant threat to the average joe trying to get some eggs to sell. More for a Phynxkin egg because of the reasons listed above. Something like a common, non-venomous snake/lizard egg would be cheaper, and a fowl egg markedly cheaper than that.

All other things aside, think long and hard about whether you want to invest money in something which requires you to spend long stretches of time in civilization doing a job before it shows appreciable results -- if it ever does.

But if it's backstoried, all the time is already finished!  It's not really a problem to knock an extra year or two onto the end of my age.

As far as extrapolating costs is concerned, Monster Manual 2 lists the market price for an adult, Warbeast-trained animal of 4HD (including the HD increase from Warbeast) to be 400gp.  I'm aware that it's a pretty sketchy price guide, but a Monitor Lizard isn't that scary to a group of trappers, and coming away from the adventure with full clutch of eggs would make it worthwhile even at ~50gp prices.

The Wagon/Raft thing was moreso so that it would be ready to go and not need to be reloaded onto something else.  Also, stylish.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 27, 2014, 01:49:23 am »

We were thinking more something like a cart with a waterproof base, and designed to float. So, still a wheeled vehicle, just, you know, capable of being pulled (if you can swim) or rowed around on the water.
As far as implementation goes, according to Stormwrack, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) can be used to draw up plans for making ships and supervising the process, so I would think it could also be used to figure out how to make a bouyant cart.
Code: [Select]
Shipbuilding DCs
Ship          DC          Yard Size          Build Time
Longship      10           Small              2 months
Knorr         10           Small              3 months
Cog           12           Small              3 months
Junk          12           Small              3 months

Yeah, hence the interest in getting them now at the start, where their growing up can be part of backstory.

As far as extrapolating costs is concerned, Monster Manual 2 lists the market price for an adult, Warbeast-trained animal of 4HD (including the HD increase from Warbeast) to be 400gp.  I'm aware that it's a pretty sketchy price guide, but a Monitor Lizard isn't that scary to a group of trappers, and coming away from the adventure with full clutch of eggs would make it worthwhile even at ~50gp prices.
Warbeast isn't just training, the animals are bred for combat as well. In fact, Vermin Warbeasts can't be trained.
And a War Phynxkin would cost 100GP.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 02:02:43 am by Harbingerjm »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 27, 2014, 02:20:07 am »

Meh, whatever. Call it 50gp per for monitor lizard eggs.

Also, of all the campaigns running right now where people start pulling out Stormwrack as a reference, it's one of the only ones that isn't an oceangoing campaign.  :P

I'm honestly sort of befuddled as to why you think you're going to need a floating cart when you're plodding through thick forests with poor/no roads or underground passageways, so that's fine. You can have your amphibious wagon if you have the money and make the checks to build it, and you can have fun making checks to get it into places wheeled vehicles perhaps shouldn't, and in two or three levels you'll all have extradimensional storage. Of course, a troll with a couple sacks is practically extradimensional storage already, heh.

* Flying Dice shrugs.

3. Run Resize Enable

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 27, 2014, 02:22:38 am »

Meh, whatever. Call it 50gp per for monitor lizard eggs.

Also, of all the campaigns running right now where people start pulling out Stormwrack as a reference, it's one of the only ones that isn't an oceangoing campaign.  :P

I'm honestly sort of befuddled as to why you think you're going to need a floating cart when you're plodding through thick forests with poor/no roads or underground passageways, so that's fine. You can have your amphibious wagon if you have the money and make the checks to build it, and you can have fun making checks to get it into places wheeled vehicles perhaps shouldn't, and in two or three levels you'll all have extradimensional storage. Of course, a troll with a couple sacks is practically extradimensional storage already, heh.

* Flying Dice shrugs.

D&D Manual, Rule 43: The GM will make you get on the boat.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 33