Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC :: We're off!  (Read 43137 times)

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC/pregame [0/6]
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2014, 10:18:49 pm »

How so?
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2014, 10:23:40 pm »

For starters, wagons are 400 pounds, and horses have 14 STR.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2014, 10:29:13 pm »

Quadrupeds get extra carry weight, and drag weight is the largest of them.

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2014, 10:31:44 pm »

For starters, wagons are 400 pounds, and horses have 14 STR.
If you check the pages of each beast of burden, you can see how much they can carry.

Quadrupeds get extra carry weight, and drag weight is the largest of them.
Also a bonus for being Large.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2014, 10:33:53 pm »

Oh.

Cool.

Wait, can I have a horse familiar?

Naw, I'll stick with a toad.

Named "The One".
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:10:34 pm by Tawarochir »
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2014, 11:17:36 pm »

The Good alignment is, according to RAW, required for the fey you're in an intimate relationship with, not you. That said, this is one of the feats where I'm going to require you to work it into your backstory if you take it -- it might even come up in-story, depending on what happens.
Not strictly true, actually:
Quote from: Book of Exalted Deeds
This book introduces a new type of feat: the exalted feat. Only intelligent characters of good alignment and the highest moral standards can acquire exalted feats... A character who willingly and willfully commits an evil act loses all benefits from all his exalted feats. A character with at least one exalted feat radiates an aura of good with a power equal to her character level (see the detect good spell), as if she were a paladin or a cleric of a good deity.

Oh, actually, about the previous
Hey, Dice, hypothetically speaking, what would a Kobold Cleric who doesn't pray to any particular god and gets his powers from the idea that Kobolds are Awesome and Fighting to Defend Kobolds is Even More Awesome get as a favoured weapon for purposes of the War Domain? Just pick one that makes some sense (probably one used as part of traps)?
Probably a Greatpick.
response, I'd forgotten about the change to Weapon Focus:
6. The Weapon Focus line automatically scales with HD. At 4 you are considered to have Weapon Specialization for all purposes, at 8 Greater Weapon Focus, and at 12 Greater Weapon Specialization. Note that it does not matter what class those levels are in. And yes, that does include monsters. All of these extra feats apply to the same weapon type as the original, which must be acquired normally. In addition this line of feats applies to a category of weapons rather than a single type chosen from the following list: Bludgeoning, Piercing, or Slashing. You can still take Weapon Focus more than once, but it must apply to a different category each time.
Would that mean it would be Weapon Focus Piercing rather than Greatpick?

Yeah, sorry. I was strapped for time and just went straight to the feat entry. Also, yes for the Greatpick/Piercing question. So it would apply that feat and those which follow it both to a greatpick and to any other Piercing weapon you happened to use.

Quick question for the DM: Will we ever be able to cross the End of the World? I know you said it's impassable on foot, but what if we use magic?

Or ride giant gorillas?

As far as land travel goes, a flat no. Flight is difficult enough that even with Perfect fly at a good speed you would still be liable to kill yourself if you weren't both prepared and lucky; the mountains increase in height as you go farther in, enough that you'd have trouble breathing, and there's fierce, constant, freezing winds. The Growth is only the newest magical disaster to hit this part of the world. It's bad enough that even the old-as-rocks dragon specifically acclimated to cold mountains doesn't venture too far in. Of course, that's only if you try to go over them...

There are three major power foci in the Vale: The Leafguard, a loosely organized volunteer militia which shoulders many of the more direct tasks involved with keeping the Brackenreach at bay, though the clear-cutting and controlled fires have become less common in the past two centuries; the Magistry, a meritocratic group of wizards based out of an ancient temple devoted to Valkran (the alligator-headed god of academics and knowledge), who welcome students and knowledge-seekers; and Palax of the End, an Ancient Silver Dragon, the first resident of the Vale since before the Growth, who fled the Dragon War and later guided refugees out of the disastrous attempt to reverse the damage it caused.
What is the Dragon War? Was it the conflict waged between Bahamut and Tiamat?

Also, could I have been a very low level apprentice in the Magistry, and then quit to go and do the business of Bahamut?
Some of that is going to stay out of OOC knowledge for plot reasons. What your characters could reasonably be expected to know would be that it happened about eight and a half centuries ago, lasted for roughly twenty years of open war between two or more factions of dragons and their allies, large swaths of land were rendered virtually uninhabitable, and the Brackenreach forest is a side effect of one of the efforts to fix the damage. The people of the Vale are descended from refugees who fled as far as they could. It's also known that Palax (who was still quite young for a dragon at the time) fled the war early on, which is a substantial part of why she is listed as CG rather than LG (as is usual for Silver dragons). This world had a relatively heavy population of dragons, but a substantial number died. Most of the major mortal civilizations of the time were shattered.

Ordinary people wouldn't know whether Bahamut and Tiamat were directly/indirectly involved, the reasons behind Palax avoiding the conflict, what happened to other dragons that survived, whether anyone else has rebuilt in the wake of the war, what caused the war to begin, or the precise nature of the factions involved. Among the things which could reveal more information would be sufficiently high Know checks, somehow getting information from Bahamut, or convincing Palax to talk -- note that reading up on the general personality types of the various dragons (but Silvers in particular) might be helpful. I'll save a bit of time and let you all know that Elves and Humans will get a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks with Palax, as well as a +2 untyped bonus to the same for being a cleric of Bahamut.

Smashing faces is all well and good, but two of the three major players in the Vale are going to need convincing to keep sending you to smash larger and greater numbers of faces, and the sad part is that the unnaturally reticent dragon is going to be easier than the cabal of CG wizards -- if it helps, imagine them as the Arcane University if they were competent at things other than protecting their jobs.  :P

Also, yes. That looks like it would work out well, especially with your Knowledge domain.

--

Pfahaha, called that one. Almost 14 hours on the dot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2014, 11:24:36 pm »

Quick question for the DM: Will we ever be able to cross the End of the World? I know you said it's impassable on foot, but what if we use magic?
Or ride giant gorillas?
As far as land travel goes, a flat no. Flight is difficult enough that even with Perfect fly at a good speed you would still be liable to kill yourself if you weren't both prepared and lucky; the mountains increase in height as you go farther in, enough that you'd have trouble breathing, and there's fierce, constant, freezing winds. The Growth is only the newest magical disaster to hit this part of the world. It's bad enough that even the old-as-rocks dragon specifically acclimated to cold mountains doesn't venture too far in. Of course, that's only if you try to go over them...
Profession (Miner) ho!.

I'll save a bit of time and let you all know that Elves and Humans will get a +2 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks with Palax, as well as a +2 untyped bonus to the same for being a cleric of Bahamut.
Presumably that works in reverse for Kobolds.

if it helps, imagine them as the Arcane University if they were competent at things other than protecting their jobs.  :P
Mother of god.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2014, 11:34:59 pm »

Force spells ho!

Also, I have updated Ruvitsuvi with the Gandalf-style cart. Which I can only assume he sleeps in. I now have more money for worthless trinkets anyway.

EDIT: Okay. The cart now has 202 1/2 pounds of stuff I probably won't need to spite my mule and also in case we need a sledgehammer, a ten-foot pole, a crowbar, a hammer, or 20 torches.

Also, my cart has an entirely unnecessary canvas roof and a 25 pound chest in the back. In case of energency, it has a crowbar inside. The cart also unfolds into a 2-family house or into the Batmobile.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 11:59:33 pm by Tawarochir »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2014, 12:04:04 am »

Ordinary people wouldn't know whether Bahamut and Tiamat were directly/indirectly involved.
Another question about this; is Bahamut a common or uncommon god? I figure that most of the half-dragons worship him, but how popular is he with the rest of the populace?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2014, 12:09:27 am »

How'd you get that much gear, Tawo? That's more than I could buy with a couple hundred gold.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2014, 12:11:25 am »

A lot of it is cheap but heavy stuff like torches.

Also ~70 pounds of donkey feed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2014, 12:15:54 am »

Ordinary people wouldn't know whether Bahamut and Tiamat were directly/indirectly involved.
Another question about this; is Bahamut a common or uncommon god? I figure that most of the half-dragons worship him, but how popular is he with the rest of the populace?
For the Vale, he's in the top six. There's little in the way of organized religion of any sort, however -- mostly it's just personal worship and individuals who are more directly dedicated.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2014, 12:17:12 am »

How'd you get that much gear, Tawo? That's more than I could buy with a couple hundred gold.
Well...

Hmmm. It occurs to me that I have a +4 Int Mod. Enough to Take 10 and make up to +2 AC armour/shields, longbows and shortbows, and simple melee or thrown weapons.
Anyone want a 2/3rds discount on their gear?
If I get Artisan Armorsmithing Tools (5gp for the tools), I can do up to +4 AC armour/shields, and with the right Masterwork Artisan's Tools (55gp) I can make up to up to +6 AC armour/shields, composite longbows or shortbows, crossbows, martial melee and thrown weapons, and "high-quality items."
Given Aid Another assistance, my results go up another 2 points. Exotic weapons, +1 rating comp. bows, +8 AC armour/shields.
Ok. Anyone that desires savings on your gear and can't craft it themself, here is what you do.
First: Tell me you want my character to have crafted them some stuff, and what it is.
Second: We'll collaborate on some way to work previous acquaintance into our respective backstories (or just your character coming shopping from some Kobolds, whatever, though in that case I'll probably charge a (slight) fee for the work (still getting you at least a 1/3 saving on buying the stuff straight up)).
Third: If I can't quite make the DC for the gear with my current tools, you may still be able to make a saving by donating to upgrade the tools (especially for the 5GP base tools or if others also want the same DC met and donate too). Alternatively, if you can hit the Aid Another DC and want to write time helping the group gear up or something like that into your backstory, that also works, and may save others some scratch.
Fourth: ???
Fifth: Profit!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:18:46 am by Harbingerjm »

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2014, 12:28:09 am »

I dunno. The only thing I'd really want is some sort of Troll Saddle and I wouldn't really have a reason to need that in my backstory. More axes would be lovely but... Nah, I'm good. Assuming I get in.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2014, 12:30:01 am »

One last question: How would one talk to Palax? Would I have to go through an intermediary or does she hold court?
I'm finishing my backstory, and I need to explain how I came by the scales of a metallic dragon, which are essential ingredients for the Ritual of Rebirth.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 33