Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC :: We're off!  (Read 43105 times)

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC/pregame [0/6]
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2014, 10:39:17 am »

Slork uses a greataxe too? Axe buddies!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2014, 12:16:20 pm »

Will be watching. Please do tell me the name of the handsome rogue who devised your initiative system.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2014, 12:25:32 pm »

Sort of similar to what you were going for, I guess. Dark Winged Dragonwrought Arctic Kobold Rogue/Swashbuckler, with maybe a one-level Cleric dip. Crossbows, reach weapons, skill monkeying, languages and knowledge. Some crafting of traps, potentially including poison.
In that case, I'm going to go and find something else, because that was almost exactly what I was going to do.

Binders fell out of favor with me, so I'm turning my attentions elsewhere. A Dragonwrought Kobold or Puesdodragon Dragonfire Adept is entertaining me right now. "I'm not a [whatever race]! I'm a baby dragon!"

Dice, what sort of LA is a psuedodragon, and what are its racial benefits?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2014, 12:28:51 pm »

Sort of similar to what you were going for, I guess. Dark Winged Dragonwrought Arctic Kobold Rogue/Swashbuckler, with maybe a one-level Cleric dip. Crossbows, reach weapons, skill monkeying, languages and knowledge. Some crafting of traps, potentially including poison.
In that case, I'm going to go and find something else, because that was almost exactly what I was going to do.

Binders fell out of favor with me, so I'm turning my attentions elsewhere. A Dragonwrought Kobold or Puesdodragon Dragonfire Adept is entertaining me right now. "I'm not a [whatever race]! I'm a baby dragon!"

As I remember, pseudodragon describes a variety of monster races.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2014, 12:33:08 pm »

What are you talking about?

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2014, 12:39:37 pm »

Pseudodragon includes all the dragon-types which aren't actual dragons, right?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2014, 12:45:40 pm »

Pseudodragon includes all the dragon-types which aren't actual dragons, right?
No, that's Dragonkind, according to Race of the Dragon. They're Dragonborn, Kobolds, Spellscales, Half-dragons, etc. A Pseudodragon is a Dragonkind, but it's a specific creature. Link to the SRD in the pic.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2014, 01:23:34 pm »

Cool. There room for me? I wanna make an intentionally cruddy wizard.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2014, 01:54:10 pm »

Hey, Dice, hypothetically speaking, what would a Kobold Cleric who doesn't pray to any particular god and gets his powers from the idea that Kobolds are Awesome and Fighting to Defend Kobolds is Even More Awesome get as a favoured weapon for purposes of the War Domain? Just pick one that makes some sense (probably one used as part of traps)?
Probably a Greatpick.

Hey, Dice, I'm thinking of trading out the Rogue Trapfinding Class Feature for an Alternate one. However, there aren't exactly a great deal of options for trading it. Would trading it for Poison Use (basically the Drow Rogue ACF, which I'm not entirely sure if it requires being a Drow or not, RAW) or Track (basically a reverse of half of the Ranger ACF trading Track and Swift Tracker for Trapfinding and Disable Device) be acceptable?
Edit: Also, are any of the Kobold Web Enhancement traits in play?
Edit: Also also, would it be possible to trade Class Skill: Forgery for Class Skill: Survival? White collar crime doesn't fit the character for a number of reasons (little experience with fancy paperwork, being Lawful Good, not spending a lot of time around non-Kobolds), but being capable of self-sufficiency, navigation and other outdoorsy stuff does.
1. You can take ACFs, just make sure to mention what you're taking and source it. Poison Use is obsolete; 4 ranks in Craft (Poison) removes the percentage chance of poisoning yourself. I'll allow you to trade it for Track if you like, but I'll warn you right now that dropping Trapfinding if nobody else has a reliable way to detect and disable traps might lead to some substantial hardships down the line.

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

27. If you have at least 1 BAB, you can Power Attack with any weapon you are proficient in and are treated as if you have the Power Attack feat without actually taking it. Yes, this does include ranged weapons. Call it a Headshot. Also see feat section.
If I wanted to take say improved power attack, would I still need to take Power Attack normally?
I'm wondering the same.
No. As long as you're using a weapon with which you are proficient, you're assumed to have Power Attack, including for the purposes of taking feats further down the tree. Obviously if you decide to pick up an exotic weapon you aren't proficient with, you'll not be able to use any of those feats with it.

You can find it here. LA+3. However, I'd rule that playing a Psuedodragon would preclude you from wielding any non-simple weapons, as well as from casting spells/SLAs with verbal components, given that they can only communicate telepathically and with animal noises. However I'd give a PC Pseudodragon two 1d3 claw natural weapons.

The main racial advantages are 60' fly (good), blindsense, telepathic communication, a weak poison sting, and good Hide checks in forests.

It's going to be hard to be intentionally cruddy when you automatically get Collegiate Wizard, can get limited spontaneous casting, and get extra spells per day if you bar a second school. But you're welcome to try.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 24, 2014, 02:17:08 pm »

Hey, Dice, I'm thinking of trading out the Rogue Trapfinding Class Feature for an Alternate one. However, there aren't exactly a great deal of options for trading it. Would trading it for Poison Use (basically the Drow Rogue ACF, which I'm not entirely sure if it requires being a Drow or not, RAW) or Track (basically a reverse of half of the Ranger ACF trading Track and Swift Tracker for Trapfinding and Disable Device) be acceptable?
Edit: Also, are any of the Kobold Web Enhancement traits in play?
Edit: Also also, would it be possible to trade Class Skill: Forgery for Class Skill: Survival? White collar crime doesn't fit the character for a number of reasons (little experience with fancy paperwork, being Lawful Good, not spending a lot of time around non-Kobolds), but being capable of self-sufficiency, navigation and other outdoorsy stuff does.
1. You can take ACFs, just make sure to mention what you're taking and source it. Poison Use is obsolete; 4 ranks in Craft (Poison) removes the percentage chance of poisoning yourself. I'll allow you to trade it for Track if you like, but I'll warn you right now that dropping Trapfinding if nobody else has a reliable way to detect and disable traps might lead to some substantial hardships down the line.
I believe we have meatshields for that.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 24, 2014, 02:23:50 pm »

You can find it here. LA+3. However, I'd rule that playing a Psuedodragon would preclude you from wielding any non-simple weapons, as well as from casting spells/SLAs with verbal components, given that they can only communicate telepathically and with animal noises. However I'd give a PC Pseudodragon two 1d3 claw natural weapons.

The main racial advantages are 60' fly (good), blindsense, telepathic communication, a weak poison sting, and good Hide checks in forests.
Okay. What about racial ability mods?

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 24, 2014, 02:31:33 pm »

Ulric Farseer if you please. You mentioned something about modifying ability scores depending on class tier... Yeah, I don't know anything about that.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 24, 2014, 02:34:08 pm »

It's going to be hard to be intentionally cruddy when you automatically get Collegiate Wizard, can get limited spontaneous casting, and get extra spells per day if you bar a second school. But you're welcome to try.  :P
Awesome.

Maybe I'll go with a sorcerer instead.

Or some sort of... dorf.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 24, 2014, 02:42:48 pm »

Okay. What about racial ability mods?
Pseudodragons aren't set up to be played as PCs -- as such, they don't list racial ability modifiers (any monster that is will have a section labelled "X as Characters" in their entry) -- and frankly I don't think that the value of monsters not intended to be played as PCs is sufficient to warrant working out homebrew for them. If you're really set on playing a monster, pretty much all of the ones designed for it will have the work done for you like any other race. I'll just DM fiat that now: if a creature isn't already set up to be played as a PC, it's off limits.

Ulric Farseer if you please. You mentioned something about modifying ability scores depending on class tier... Yeah, I don't know anything about that.
Check this page. You get free Level Adjustment based on the tier of class you take. In your case, Fighter is Tier 5, so you'd get LA+4 without penalty. Since you got free LA+4 but chose not to take any, you instead get to add 4 points to a single ability score -- this basically is intended to help relatively 'normal' characters keep up with those who took their free LA or are casters.

Also, the racist weakling dwarf. xD

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2014, 02:45:16 pm »

Alrighty. Because I like being healthy... I'll boost up that whole "Health" thing I've heard about. I've listed it under the special stuff section.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 33