Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33

Author Topic: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC :: We're off!  (Read 43026 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC :: We're off!
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:28:31 pm »

IC Thread

I've been spending some time getting things together, as I've decided to try my hand at DMing. Incidentally, I won't turn down advice if an individual with some experience as a DM wants to offer it. At any rate, this is going to be DnD 3.5 in PBP format, because that's by far easier and more inclusive than IRC or similar (not to mention I won't be having time for IRC once I'm working on my thesis. :S). Once we've got our characters ready, I'll set up a separate IC thread. I'll be accepting 6 players at the absolute maximum, and it is not first come-first served, so feel free to take some time on quality.

1. Use Myth-weavers to manage your sheet.
2. 32 point buy. Here is an easy calculator for it.
3. Up to TWO flaws and TWO traits.
4. Characters begin at level 1. Maximum HP (highest roll of your class HD + CON), MAXIMUM starting gold for your class (PHB p.111; e.g. a Bard gets 160gp)

5. By default I will be allowing all official 3.5 sources and material (which means every Wizards sourcebook and splatbook as well as any direct excerpts from Dragon Mag you can find, barring some exceptions which I will list. Note that Rule 0 is in force, DM has veto rights on anything too broken. Also note that the difficulty of the campaign will vary based on how broken you try to be -- if everyone makes unoptimized low-tier characters, things will be easy, if everyone goes for a highly optimized build the difficulty will ramp up over time, and if everyone makes stupidly broken characters the enemies will be stupidly broken as well (as in "oh hey, that bugbear is now a fiendish dire bugbear"). Try to be mindful of your fellow players, too, we want everyone to enjoy this -- and more importantly, balance-relative-to-others is one of the two criteria I'm using when selecting characters. PROVIDE A SOURCE FOR ANYTHING NOT IN THE SRD/CORE BOOKS.

6. Classes get free LA based on their tier. Tier 1 = 0, Tier 2 = +1, Tier 3 = +2, and so forth. 'Free' means that you don't suffer the normal penalties of taking templates with LA. No additional LA will be allowed. For Tier 4 classes and below, look into the Silver Half Dragon -- note that no other Half Dragon templates are allowed. As mentioned below, if you are eligible for free LA but choose to take none, you may add 1 point per level of LA to a single ability score.

7. I'll be conducting all rolls, given that that's more streamlined than everyone dipping over to invisiblecastle for every roll. I'll only announce things like spot checks if they reveal something, aka "So'n'so, you see shadows moving to your left. Riffraff, you hear quiet footsteps in the darkness," but no "You all just failed your spot and listen checks." Make sure to Boldly State what your actions are, as opposed to dialogue or description.

8. Make sure to include in the notes section of your character sheet a Letter and Color that you want used to represent you on the tactical maps.

We'll copy a certain someone's setup for health and initiative in combat, e.g.:
Quote from: Initiative
Player 1 [8/8]
Player 3 [6/12]
Enemy 1 [Uninjured]
Enemy 2 [Near Death]
Player 2 [7/7]

Spoiler: Banned List (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Houserules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Extra Houserules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Vale (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Map (click to show/hide)

Players:
1. Osoero, Human Warlock -- Rolepgeek
2. Krag Bloodskull, Troll Warrior -- Remuthra
3. Ruvitsuvi the Red, Elf Sorcerer -- Tawarochir
4. Cernan Tiburux, Dragonborn Lesser Aasimar Cloistered Cleric -- My Name is Immaterial
5. Tradok Rawhide, Half-Orc Barbarian -- PrivateNomad
6. Ulric Farseer, Dwarf Fighter -- Nerjin
7. Slork Hemrun, Half-Orc Fighter -- Ultravalican
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:20:50 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: DnD 3.5: Brackenreach/End OOC/pregame [0/6]
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:00:54 pm »

Nope.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:34:55 am by Harbingerjm »
15:35   HugoLuman reads Harb his secret spaghetti recipe

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:59:26 pm by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 09:12:05 pm »

Tier-based free LA? Hold on a moment while I get out my best strength templates.

I believe if I pick a Tier 6 class I can play as a Troll?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 09:16:42 pm by Remuthra »

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 09:21:26 pm »

Oh, also, since Improved and Greater Two Weapon Fighting no longer exist, umm, does taking just the first feat give you an equal number of attacks with your main hand as your secondary hand?

Oh yes, and can anyone with a BAB of either +1 or +4 or higher be considered to automatically have the Quick Draw feat? If they're gonna auto-have Point Blank Shot, I mean...it'd be nice not to fuck over thrower builds and what not.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:01:20 pm »

JOINING

WANT JOIN

I can make some of the characters I've been dying to. Like the morbidly obese rogue(apologies if this is offensive to anyone; I just like the idea of making a super dextrous rogue capable of tumbling past enemies and avoiding attacks...who's also basically a blob), or a Half-Dragon Centaur Fighter(please forego racial hit die and mebbe use the half-dragon racial levels or something?).

Reading rules and homebrew now.

EDIT: A. do centaurs qualify for feats requiring mounted combat and the like? If they charge with a lance does it do double damage?
B. Do magical weapons and ammunition break easily? Or are +1 Returning Shurikens actually useful?
C. If I wanted to play a swordsman who isn't some ridiculous bullshit power attacker or trip monger, he's just a really good bladesman, would I need to go for Warblade or Swordsage or something to be useful and have my class keep in tune with my fluff?

1. That works for me.
A. Yes.
B. How easily they break depends on the level of enchantment. Assume that it would take substantial, dedicated effort to break a +1 item. Breaking a +6 item would probably kill everything in the vicinity if someone figured out how to do it.
C. Probably, given that the only other alternative to the feat-chain builds would be taking that LA and being some degree of literal monster. That's pretty much what ToB was made for, after all. It mostly depends on what other people do -- if it's a pretty standard party without much optimization you'll be able to get away with a sword-and-board fighter or something, because the challenges will be tailored to that sort of playstyle. If, on the other hand, you're in a party full of Trolls... :V

Tier-based free LA? Hold on a moment while I get out my best strength templates.

Keep in mind that a) you'll be playing as a NPC class and b) as a Troll you'll be playing a (probably) CE evil character in a setting full of Good and Neutral humanoids who are overseen by a CG Ancient Dragon. All I can promise is that most NPCs won't instantly try to kill you.  :P

Oh, also, since Improved and Greater Two Weapon Fighting no longer exist, umm, does taking just the first feat give you an equal number of attacks with your main hand as your secondary hand?

Oh yes, and can anyone with a BAB of either +1 or +4 or higher be considered to automatically have the Quick Draw feat? If they're gonna auto-have Point Blank Shot, I mean...it'd be nice not to fuck over thrower builds and what not.

1. Yes, sorry, I'll clarify that.
2. I'm going to tentatively say no on this, considering that Quick Draw is not unlike a number of other feats which are useful for a specific build type; it's a pretty integral part of a character concept as opposed to a feat tax. Same goes for things like TWF and Weapon Focus. Besides, depending on your build you can get up to four feats before you even touch class features.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 10:07:49 pm »

B. How easily they break depends on the level of enchantment. Assume that it would take substantial, dedicated effort to break a +1 item. Breaking a +6 item would probably kill everything in the vicinity if someone figured out how to do it.
Heee's a ridiculously min-maxed magic item crafter with nothing better to spend his gold on.
Heee's a ridiculously min-maxed ranged sunder build with a strange sense of humour.
Together, they commit terrorism.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 11:10:53 am by PrivateNomad »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 10:26:31 pm »

Why, yes, this sounds fun. In.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:27:22 pm »

Keep in mind that a) you'll be playing as a NPC class and b) as a Troll you'll be playing a (probably) CE evil character in a setting full of Good and Neutral humanoids who are overseen by a CG Ancient Dragon. All I can promise is that most NPCs won't instantly try to kill you.  :P
That's what makes it fun :P.

Partially-completed Troll

Harbingerjm

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTROPY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 10:29:31 pm »

Warrior? Not Aristocrat? I am dissapoint.

PrivateNomad

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified Time Traveler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 10:29:50 pm »

Oh god, my character is going to be so stupid.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 10:31:57 pm »

Warrior? Not Aristocrat? I am dissapoint.
Doesn't have the BAB I wanted.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 10:36:37 pm »

Eeeeeexcellent. Though sadface to no auto-quick draw.

So, I have options now.

I can either make the Shuriking(at 20th level, he throws shurikens faster than most modern assault rifles fire bullets. Granted he does this in chunks of six shurikens at a time, but still), the good knight Sir Horse-Dragon-Man, a Swift Hunter(the Full Attack as a standard action buffs Scouts so much they don't even need anything else and I love it so much), Blobbo the Magical Bouncing Rogue, or the famed duelist WHAT THE FUCK IS WITH ALL THIS CRAZY-ASS SHIT ALL AROUND ME?!?

Oh, can we suggest/ask for specific homebrew style things? Like, say, an adjustment to Duelist so it doesn't suck?

Ooh, I could also be a Devoted Tracker. That would be interesting...I made a munchkinny build for that once where your Animal Companion is a sentient Druid who also has an animal companion, because you took Leadership. And is Epic level.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 11:02:19 pm »

Guys.

Stop me.

I'm about to break D&D.

I want to play a Truenamer.

With 40ish Intelligence.

For those of you who don't know, Truenamers are WOTC's biggest mistake. Ever. Your 'spells' are based off of a skill check, and they bypass saves, AC, and everything else, except for Spell Resistance.
Basically, if you build normally, they are tier 7. Yes. They are worse than commoners.
If you build power-gamey, they are tier 0. Yes. They are better than wizards.

As I'm writing this, I've decided that I don't want to have to deal with a Truenamer.

I'll play a Dvati (a race where an 'individual' is two creatures) rogue, built around flanking.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33