Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Dreamlands: Masters of Sleep RPG. Maybe Might Revive?  (Read 5651 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamlands: Masters of Sleep RPG. The Calm Before the Storm.
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2014, 08:45:07 pm »

Everyone is probably going to have to wake up soon, considering how fast you are going through imagination. I also hope to introduce new characters, especially more-permanent antagonists. Just thought I would state that.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The engine on your bike whirs in effort as you accelerate almost instantly, while also gaining altitude. The arms below you look briefly like blades of grass, before simply blurring together in a field as you reach a speed that would be impossible to think of in real life. What little was around you also blurs into one, it would be impossible to steer or even see at this speed, even with your goggles.

The speed continues for what feels like minutes, before the engine relaxes and the bike comes to a near complete, near instant stop. Your surroundings have completely changed, you are on the ground, on a road. Before you is what appears to be a small town, with a wooden welcoming sign "Welcome to Karakuri!" below the sign was a smaller addition, "Population..." You look at the sign again, but it doesn't seem to be any number you know. You turn away and look back, seeing the random ruins change to different, still unreadable, ruins vaguely resembling parts of letters and numbers. At least you are away from those stumps...

What do you do now?

-------------

The whispers give off a loud sound, either of triumph or alarm, before vanishing completely as you funnel energy into the alter. It quickly glows brighter and brighter as more energy funnels into it, first with the intensity of a light bulb, then a stun grenade, then a star. As it grows brighter, tendril like cracks in the structure below grow, spreading through the Colosseum and the town, glowing white as the alter. Every building it touches looses its light, becoming as black as the planks in your tent. With in minutes it covered the entire town. Then the cracks started to grow up the buildings, as if they where eggshells filled with light.

Part of the Coliseum collapsed, sending up black dust from the pile of debris below. Other buildings began collapsing as well, you can see the taller buildings beyond the Coliseum falling one by one. The floor below you forms massive fissures as dust flies away from it, the wind blowing hard as it pulls all the dust away.

What do you do now?

----------

A new attachment appears on your goggles once again, expanding out of nowhere with the sound of moving mechanisms. You now find that you can look through things, with perfect clarity, as if the objects where not even there in the first place. You look downward, zooming through the wale, through the sea, looking for any signs of the legends you just read. You sea sea creatures stuck as if in stone, a jellyfish, a shark, a pod of dolphins. The water gets darker and darker as you go down, but you still sea no sign of any cave. Deeper and deeper, a swarm of tuna, floating seaweed....Now almost to dark to see. You reach the border and manage to make out the outline of an angler fish, but below it is  so pitch black that you can not seem to see no matter how much you try. You feel that it is a bad idea to look deeper into the abyss behind it, as it might gaze back...

What do you do now?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2014, 09:18:25 pm »

"shit"

Deconstruct the tent, Jump down fissure suing tarp as parachute

EDITED COMMAND
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:05:39 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2014, 08:13:06 am »

Find which border is closest to me on the map. Then command my cloud to form nano-plasma spikes to carry me on.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2014, 09:06:24 pm »

Huh. 'Karakuri'. Which means puppet, or automaton. Typically ones that have to follow a fixed pattern of behavior. Since this is a dream, that's almost certainly significant somehow. At least for the moment...who knows how that could change in a short while?

Well, what if I'm patient? I might wake up, this has been going on for a while, but I don't know if that would be a bad thing...this hasn't seemed entirely safe, and it doesn't seem like a normal dream...

May as well take a look around the place, watch the changes to see if there's a pattern. Damien had always been good with patterns, and numbers. Discerning the meaning behind them wasn't always easy, on the other hand. Particularly if it wasn't a logical reason. And what was back down the road he'd apparently reached, in his travel?

He knew the bike wouldn't get stolen. He wasn't sure how, but he knew. So he didn't bother to try and hide it beyond putting it out of immediate sight, but facing such that he could access it easily. Then he took a look at his map, before heading out to search, shifting his goggles onto his forehead.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2014, 10:27:14 pm »

.....Pretty big change.

-------

You attempt to sue your tarp for the damages to the town, but quickly realize it has a much better lawyer then you and would work quite well as a parachute. Apparently, you think it is a great idea to jump down the dark abyss you just caused.

You prepare to leap down the nearest fissure, the wood below the tent turning to dust with every touch and blowing away with the rest of the town. The dark abyss below you looks threatening, but hey, you got a parachute. Well a tarp being used as a parachute. The fissure continue to enlarge as you hop down, the tarp flying behind you attempting to be a parachute.

Then you fall. For minutes, hours. Darkness is all around you, nothing else. Darkness. You jumped into an endless abyss, with no real way out. Why would you do this?

And what do you do now?

-----------

You look at the map in your guide, guessing the distance between the wale and the border. You are about in the center, but the top border is slightly closer. You order your cloud to form the requested items, but I have no clue what you are trying to do here. Please explain? Do you want to use imagination to make it a vehicle-style thing, or just fly at a walking pace using your weapon?

------------------

Looking at the map from high above, you see what looks to be a small town in America, somewhere between the 1940s and 1960s, judging by the architecture and vehicals. Old-style cars where both parked on the side of the streets and in the middle of the road, at least one frozen in the act of pulling out of the lot. There was a residential area with suburb-style houses, a main street with several stores such as a milkshake bar and a general store, and farm-style houses in the upper right outskirts. Out of all this, there was no obvious pattern beyond that which a real town would have.

What do you do now?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2014, 10:30:28 pm »

((I was referring to this when I mentioned patterns:))
You look at the sign again, but it doesn't seem to be any number you know. You turn away and look back, seeing the random ruins change to different, still unreadable, ruins vaguely resembling parts of letters and numbers.

((So...yeah.))

Damien takes a look through the town in person, folding the map back up and putting it in one pocket.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2014, 10:42:15 pm »

Huh, thought I got to that.

-----------

You notice no patterns in the letters at all, they seem completely and utterly random, changing every time you reread them.

--------
It was more of an atmospheric nod to the Lucid Dreaming idea of a "Reality Test", like the top in inception. Text changing in dreams is one of the more common one. I initially thought that is what you meant, and meant to write something against it, but I guess I just forgot.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2014, 10:45:33 pm »

((So, Karakuri means nothing, I guess. >.>))

((I figured that since karakuri typically refers to a type of automaton or puppet that can only go through the same routines again and again, it would be indicative of a repeating pattern. He'd already surmised that this was a dream.))
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2014, 11:18:10 pm »

Use last bit of imagination to make a magical portal to the bottom of the bottomless pit.

((I assumed the shadowy voices ended up in some kind of hellscape at the bottom of the fissures, you described the cracks as being deliciously jump-intoable))

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2014, 08:41:58 am »

((Do I have enough imagination to turn the whale into an all-terrain vehicle?))

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2014, 05:51:57 pm »

You start to walk through the town, looking at all the old-style buildings. You don't see any people, but everything feels...inhabited. The lights in all the buildings are on, as are the gas powered streetlamps. You end up wandering into the residential area, where rows and rows of similar houses almost remind you of the stumps in the field, going on and on monotonously. Each one has a car in the driveway, generally the same with some variation, a mailbox with the same style of randomly changing letters on it, and a small garden of some sort. You notice that most of the front doors seem unlocked, as do the cars.

What do you do now?

-----------

You force a portal open below your feet, causing a spiraling vortex of white light to expand from your tarp-parachute to below you. You fall through it, covering your body with sparkles, and find your feet standing on solid darkness below you. The tarp falls on top of you, covering you momentarily before you manage to shake it off. Then you see darkness, only darkness. It is too dark to even see your tarp. You wander around, not even capable of seeing yourself. Darkness. Only darkness.

Darkness. Only darkness.

Darkness....

You open your eyes. The darkness around you is gone. The world around you was gone. You are now awake, exactly in the place you had fallen asleep the night before. You get up and have a quite normal day before laying back down to sleep.

You return to your "Home", safe and sound. You are asleep again, ready to take on the world.

What do you do now?

-----------

((Do I have enough imagination to turn the whale into an all-terrain vehicle?))

Yes, that would only take 2.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2014, 05:58:27 pm »

Craft a smaller version of the Colosseum, infused with sentimental memories In the home, so even if the shadow dudes are lost, they can live on in some regard. I then enter the dream realm once more, after asking for my tarp from the watchmen.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:02:22 pm by Shadestyle »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2014, 07:03:09 pm »

Do that. Makes that all terrain whale. Permanent. Can mobile things be linked to homes?

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2014, 08:47:14 pm »

Damien tries to be quiet as he investigates one of the houses, closer than not to his bike.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2014, 07:04:37 pm »

The coliseum pops into life with a single thought, exactly as you remember it, though smaller. You then make your way downward to the guardians, asking for the tarp. The guard on the right reaches under a nearby object and pulls it out, neatly folded, and hands it to you as the gate opens next to him.

You walk through the door.

Looking behind you, you see a giant gate that is apparently made of very small teeth. Around you is what is apparently a park made of selective body parts, finger and toenails, hair, mucus, among other things. Next to the gate is a barbed-wire like fence of hair with nails for posts. Trees made of teeth with mucus for leaves cover most of your vision, with hair acting as grass in the distance near a fountain of blood.

What do you do now?

--------------------

Yes, but they must show control over the surrounding area in some way, and they lose the effect if they leave the zone they are in.

------------------------

You give a command to this world, and it immediately obeys. The flippers of the wale start to flap mechanically, causing it to rise out of the ocean like a meerkat out of its den. Once it had cleared its tomb, leaving behind a wale-shaped hole in the water, helicopter-like turbines appear in its flippers, simply taking the place of the broken flesh. It continues to move its appendages as if in water, almost a foot off of the ground.

What do you do now?

-------------

You get closer to the nearest house, making sure not to be noticed. You see that the window is mostly covered by shades, but there is an exposed area near the door that would allow you to look inside without being seen yourself.

You creep up closer to the window, staying low, and look inside. You see a normal looking living room, with a couch, a rocking chair, a fireplace with a Remington model 870 placed decoratively over it, a bookcase, and a colorful child's play chest tucked away in the corner.

The mundane appearance of the room is contrasted greatly with its inhabitants. Puppets. Wooden marionette puppets, like you would associate with Pinocchio. There what was apparently the father, sitting in the rocking chair with his head poking up over a newspaper, wearing a suit and tie with a fedora-like hat on his head. The mother, in a household dress with her hair tied in a bun, bent over a pressing iron. On the floor in front of the couch was a young looking puppet with green army men in front of him, with one in each hand. Each was motionless, as if trapped in time.

Except for their eyes. The bodies remain motionless, but the eyes are pointing directly at you. No matter where you move, how you move, you look back and each of their eyes are glued directly to you.

What do you do?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8