Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Dreamlands: Masters of Sleep RPG. Maybe Might Revive?  (Read 5645 times)

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
Re: Dreamlands: Masters of Sleep RPG. The Calm Before the Storm.
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 09:26:37 pm »

Can you make armor permanent in the same way you can weapons?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 09:32:59 pm »

Can you make armor permanent in the same way you can weapons?

No. Armor always takes focus to continuously use. You can only make weapons permanent at Damage 3 and under, when they don't require focus to use. This is for balance reasons, even a permanent Damage 1 armor would make early-level fights a cakewalk. You can make aesthetic armor that can be empowered to a protection armor, but functioning armor would simply be to powerful. At least for now, still have to get these rules tested out.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 09:42:13 pm »

Ok, so Weak weapons, Aesthetic armor, Building materials, and tools can be permanently bound, While Powerful weapons, functioning armor, Some effects on the environment, and things that inhibit or harm another dreamer require constant focus. is that a good summery?
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 09:45:01 pm »

So offense continues to be more powerful than defense...

Well, I guess that's inevitable when the system is abstracted to such a degree that all types of damage and protection are the same; electromagnetic radiation is blocked by a thick pane of glass as easily as a bullet would be. *sigh*

Not that it's a bad system mind you, but it seems like it's going to dissolve into a numbers game. But I don't know everything about mechanics so maybe not.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 10:00:28 pm »

Ok, so Weak weapons, Aesthetic armor, Building materials, and tools can be permanently bound, While Powerful weapons, functioning armor, Some effects on the environment, and things that inhibit or harm another dreamer require constant focus. is that a good summery?

Yep, but it leaves things out, like Companions and random junk can also be permanently bound, and permanently binding things requires focus.

-----------

So offense continues to be more powerful than defense...

As it always has been. If I made the defense more powerful than the offense, fights would last forever.

Well, I guess that's inevitable when the system is abstracted to such a degree that all types of damage and protection are the same; electromagnetic radiation is blocked by a thick pane of glass as easily as a bullet would be. *sigh*

Not that it's a bad system mind you, but it seems like it's going to dissolve into a numbers game. But I don't know everything about mechanics so maybe not.

Well you are dreaming. The bullets and electromagnetic radiation aren't "real" by our definition.

I had several ideas that would kind of fix that, the first that might apply is that attack types that would logically deal extra damage deal extra damage, such as using a flaming sword against an ice golem. I still don't have any real types, making this kind of limited.

My other idea which I had at the beginning was a kind of "belief" based damaged system that randomized things a bit. For example, using snakes to attack a snake charmer would do less damage, since the snake charmer is used to dealing with defanged snakes and doesn't really see snakes as a threat, a normal person would receive normal damage, and someone who is afraid of snakes would receive extra damage, as he believes snakes are stronger then they really are. I kind of threw that out (Along with a "Real life job" and an "In touch with reality" stat) pretty early in actually making the game.

For now, if you use your powers in a clever way, I will probably add bonuses or penalties as I see fit. This game is more to play with your imagination, rather than my skills throwing dice. The mechanics really do need working on, but I can't really do that without play testing.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 10:27:57 pm »

Well, see, Stirk, that's not necessarily true.

Offense is usually more powerful than Defense, but in terms of technology and such that's not been the case. When offense is higher than defense in historical terms, casualties are massive and lethality rates high. When defense is more powerful than offense, wars take a long-ass time. Where it's perfect is the balance that eventually emerges, eventually, when it is physically possible, when offense and defense are matched, and skill becomes the overiding factor, rather than stamina(defense>offense) or luck/sheer numbers(offense>defense).

Full plate armor beats just about every weapon short of crossbows, in general terms. Longbows could injure but not deliver fatal wounds, most of the time, only being able to go through chain, as was on the arms of some knights and the like. They would just dent and bounce off breastplates. Crossbows could cut through them like butter. But for melee fighting? You had to be better than your opponent, not just luckier than them. Stilettos could get through visors and stab them in the face, or penetrate joints, but you typically had to wrestle them to the ground first(seriously, most fights to the death between knights ended up with the two wrestling with knives, effectively).

In modern times, offense is far more powerful than defense, though we've been trying desperately to keep up(and to improve our offensive might even further, of course). Nuclear weapons, cruise missiles, railguns? Range is as significant a factor in offense as anything else, and with incredible range, speed, and lethality, the only reason defense even reaches the radar in the contest is the ability of modern medicine to keep one alive.

Long story short: I figure functioning armor should(at least eventually) be able to be made permanent, but with a bit more difficulty than weapons, perhaps. Or it could break? I don't know.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 11:03:18 pm »

Well, see, Stirk, that's not necessarily true.

I meant in RPGs.

I don't really have any idea how to implement breakable, permanent armor effectively. The thing with my armor is since it is a flat number that protects against everything, there isn't a whole lot you would be able to do against someone with a better armor then you have weapons. You can't wrestle them down and stab them through the visor with the current system. Anything from trying to drown them to just exploding them won't work if their armor is too tough.

The main reason that weapons can be permanent is that you can always have something to fight with. If you get 0 Imagination, then you are defenseless and incapable of doing any damage if you don't have a weapon already. If you have a permanent weapon, than every fight will end, regardless of if (and when) either side runs out of Imagination. When making this system, I kind of saw people blowing through their Imagination in a bunch of flashy attacks, then standing around doing nothing because they no longer have anything to fight with. So I allowed permanent weapons. There simply isn't a similar reason to allow permanent armor, at least I don't currently think so. This isn't to discredit or destroy armor, but allowing permanent armor would go directly against the purpose of permanent weapons.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 09:58:33 am »

What about ranged weapons? they seem a little OP compared to melee weapons. If both me and my enemy have 0 Imagination and he has a sword but I have a wand of pew pew then i would be far more likely to win meaning that ranged weapons would be flooding the game.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 11:53:34 am »

What about ranged weapons? they seem a little OP compared to melee weapons. If both me and my enemy have 0 Imagination and he has a sword but I have a wand of pew pew then i would be far more likely to win meaning that ranged weapons would be flooding the game.

Untrue.

Notice distance and range has no mechanic. You can jump about like an anime character in dreamland.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 12:38:56 pm »

Untrue.

Notice distance and range has no mechanic. You can jump about like an anime character in dreamland.
Nice.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 01:33:52 pm »

Hmm.

If I join I won't be able to update much, mainly at weekends.

But this seems really interesting.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 05:29:17 pm »

Alright, might as well start. I guess I will just throw everyone in a random location and see what happens from there.

----------------------

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You look around you, trying to make sense of the surrounding area. You had just entered the world, right into the gaping maw of a massive whale. At first you panicked, but soon noticed that it wasn't moving. Making your way to the edge of the mouth you notice that you are on a sea, one that seems frozen in time. Half-formed foamy waves roll like hills into the distance, with immobile gulls or fish decorating their sides. Out of curiosity, you put your hand out of the maw, tapping against the motionless water. It refuses to move, staying in place as steady as a rock. You can probably walk around safely.

What do you do now?

-----------------

You find yourself in what might have once been some form of city. Large pillars, much like the ones you could find in the ruins of Rome or Greece, hold up massive halls that seem to not even need walls. Each is made of a perfectly smooth, pitch black, stone that seems to shine with a dark-red light. Each differs in size, from a large Colosseum like building in the middle to huts five feed wide at the edge of town, but all seem to be abandoned.

What do you do now?

------------------------------------

Looking around, you find yourself in something between a forest and a field. It was once a forest, no doubt, as the sea of identical tree stumps can attest to. The only one that seemed any different was the large one you entered from, which seems almost alive, pulsing slightly to the touch. Between each tree stump was a few meters of perfectly maintained grass, grass that appears to have been cut and watered regularly, making up the field portion. Nobody seems to be here, but as you where examining one of the tree stumps, you could have sworn that you saw a human face appear briefly in the rings...

What do you do now?

-----------

I think that is everyone that made a character. If any of the reservations want to start, I will need a character first.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 05:45:24 pm »

Summon a tarp, with permanency. then search huts for loose planks, or sticks.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 05:45:40 pm »

Make a permanent scanner eyepatch that looks like this:
Then try to reinstate time in a one by one by one area of water.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2014, 06:20:55 pm »

...You have one focus and you use it on a tarp. *Slow clap* Brilliant!

-----------------

You quickly cover the distance to the outside huts. As you get closer, you notice that they seem to be made of a similar material and in a similar style of the buildings closer in the cities, four dark pillars with no walls holding up a roof. However as you get even closer, you can tell that they are made out of a form of wooden planks, much different from the stone of the other buildings, but still with the same red glow.

In your mind, you form a tarp. You focus your mind on nothing but the tarp. When you open your eyes again, the tarp is in front of you, perfectly and permanently.

You go up to the pillar and start pulling on a plank. It doesn't seem to be held down by any form of glue or nail, but is incredibly difficult to pull. You finally lift a plank with great effort, causing the entire column to lose its red glow, and allowing the plank to be removed easily. The rest are also incredibly easy to pull out now, you manage to cannibalize the entire pillar into a bunch of pitch-black wood on your tarp.

What do you do now?

-----------

Do you want it to be functional, and if so, what function do you want it to have?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8